• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 huckleberrybound

huckleberrybound
  • Casita Club Member
  • 12 posts
  • Local time: 06:45 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit Standard
  • Interests:Hiking, arts, writing, reading, naps, family, and good food!
  • Trailer Name:Betty White

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:24 AM

Hello!

We are an adventurous family of three (plus a small dog) who are planning to order a new Spirit Deluxe 17 very soon. We are currently full-timing in a class A, but are looking to go smaller. Much smaller, it seems. We understand many will think we've lost our marbles, but we are up for the challenge and understand nothing is permanent. If, after a year, it doesn't fit for us, we'll figure out what's next. We look forward to the freedom downsizing to a Casita will give us: the freedom to get off the beaten path and the freedom to camp in more places. We'll be spending more time outdoors than we currently do, but that's nothing but positive in our book. Our daughter is currently sixteen months old, and we have a tiny dog that will travel along. We're looking to make the change later this year. We look forward to going smaller and joining the Casita community.

• clairemr1 and Lazy-B like this

Family of 3 + mutt living and traveling full time in their Casita camper named Betty White!

2016 Casita 17 Spirit Standard with lots of upgrades

2016 Ram Power Wagon Tradesman

http://tinyasscamper.com

#2 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,422 posts
  • Local time: 07:45 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:40 AM

welcome to the casita family. many others have downsized from very large rigs as they've learned the joys of easy set-up/break-down/travels in the small fiberglass trailers. you don't list your location, but i'd encourage you to camp with as many casita owners as possible, especially at the beginning. they are a wealth of information plus some of the nicest people you'll meet.

take it easy, learn your camping style then make any or none of the many mods others have done to their trailers. safe travels and hope to meet/camp with you somewhere/sometime...............

Edited by clairemr1, 12 January 2016 - 08:41 AM.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#3 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,007 posts
  • Local time: 05:45 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:32 AM

Welcome.......what tow rig will you be using?   Claire is absolutly correct.....Casita folks are very nice and.....I might add.....good looking too!   Safe travels!   

Edited by Jerrybob, 12 January 2016 - 10:32 AM.

#4 huckleberrybound

huckleberrybound
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:32 PM

As for our location, we are currently in the DFW area for another week before heading down to Austin for a month or so. We went to Rice last week to give things a thorough look and were pleased with what we saw. It was good to get some "seat time" in both the Independence and the Spirit as they were both layouts we were considering. I expected the Independence to feel more open and airy, but honestly, the greater "floor space" of the Spirit felt more accommodating to our needs and the two seating areas will serve us better as I work from my computer during the day. It seemed a better use of space for the ways we would use it, though I'm bummed to be missing out on the additional storage space the Independence offered down low.

As for tow vehicle, that is up in the air as we will need to make a change once we transition from class A with toad (Subaru Forester) to a towable. I'm leaning toward a Tacoma, but I'm lured by additional payload of 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. Adding up tongue wait, vehicle occupants, etc doesn't leave a whole lot of room for other stuff (or additional water, etc) with the Tacoma. So, jury is still out on this subject.

Family of 3 + mutt living and traveling full time in their Casita camper named Betty White!

#5 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:55 PM

Welcome. Glad to have you with us. I love my Spirit Deluxe and think it about the perfect rig— but I am a solo traveler, with my two dogs. I tow with a 1-1/4 ton diesel and find I cannot easily overload it, and never have. I like the muscular flexibility that gives me to keep the Casita as light as possible. As you select a TV, try not to get too close to 'limits.' Keep a broad margin on the up-side. My TV has a tow limit of 15,600# and I sure do like the way it pulls the trailer as if it weren't there!

You have a great adventure ahead of you! Enjoy...

"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#6 stratos175

stratos175
  • Casita Club Member
  • 212 posts
  • Local time: 08:45 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit
  • Interests:hiking, kayaking, disc golf and spending time in in our Casita.
  • Trailer Name:Matilda

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:01 PM

Welcome to a fine group of people (at least the ones I've meet LOL) and I don't think you could make a wiser investment then a Casita.

All the best and safe travels.

Steve and Patty

#7 C.FiberglassFreedom

C.FiberglassFreedom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 253 posts
  • Local time: 08:45 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD, 17

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:13 AM

I like the beard.   Welcome to the group!  You'll enjoy your time I have no doubts as this community will do their best to help with any knowledge they have to offer.  

Work has made me knock my departure date back to 2017 but as a 24 y/o guy it's one heck of a accomplishment to get this far and I'm so close to being free from my lease and out exploring these great United States.

#8 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,419 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:13 PM

Huckleberrybound (Adam)

Welcome! I have traveled (not full timed) with my son for the past 9 years in our Casita. It feels like home to him. He is now 14 and recounting all of the adventures we've experienced using our Casita as a gateway. As well as all of the new friends and interesting people we have met. What a great adventures await you baby!!

I enjoyed reading some of your travel blog. Great Christmas greeting. I plan on reading more about your travels, hoping to get additional ideas from you blog. I think I understand where your catchy screen name came from............

Hope to cross paths with y'all someday. If you get in the area of Dinosaur Valley State Park (Texas) drop us not and we'll buy y'all pie at the Best Pie Shop in Texas (as voted on by Texas Country Reporter viewers) Pie Peddlers here in Glen Rose, TX  However, I don't think they have huckleberry pie.

http://piepeddlers.com/

Clover & her pup

• NASA42 B, U.S.M.C. Don and Lazy-B like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#9 U.S.M.C. Don

U.S.M.C. Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 49 posts
  • Local time: 01:45 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:32 PM

It really is GOOD pie!!!

#10 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,257 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:26 PM

As I replied to a class A big box who questioned my sanity traveling in my Casita: "I can go where you can go but you can't go where I can go".   :dncinban: 

On that note, welcome and "Happy Trail(er)s to You"

Dutchman

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#11 LHCAZ

LHCAZ
  • Casita Club Member
  • 18 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17
  • Trailer Name:G C E A

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:36 AM

We had a one ton van as a tow vehicle at one point and I'd have another if I could find the right one at the right price. In your situation you might want to add a van to the think about list.

Konrad

Konrad

www.littlehousecustomsarizona.com

Camp Verde, Arizona

#12 huckleberrybound

huckleberrybound
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:19 AM

Thank you, everyone, for such a warm welcome! We are pretty excited to downsize and gain the freedom to go just about anywhere we wish. That will be excellent. If you've seen our blog, you know we are coming from a rather large coach (42ft), but it is simply more space than we could possibly want. In fact, the big reason we went with it as our first full-time rig is because of our big Irish Wolfhound. He requires a bit of floor space to stretch out, but he's an old man (over 8.5) and slowing down considerably. We'll be ready to downsize once we say goodbye to him. Coming from a house, we simply didn't know how much space we would want or need when living on the road. It turns out that we don't require very much to be happy. There's more to this realization and we will certainly blog about it once we are closer to making it happen.

We are trying to keep the options wide open when considering tow vehicles, and they have all crossed my mind at one time or another. I'll be curious to see what we actually end up with!

Clover, sounds like we need to make a plan to come through Glen Rose for pie! Thanks for taking a look at our blog. We haven't told our friends at Winnebago about our plans to leave the family quite so soon, so this is a secret we are only sharing with our Casita friends for now :) I'll be sure to reach out to you once we plan on passing through town!

#13 debandsue

debandsue
  • Casita Club Member
  • 12 posts
  • Local time: 12:45 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:25 PM

Hey there and welcome. We fulltime in a 17' SD withour 65 lb dog. We tow her with a Dodge pickup. If there was one change I would make it would be to have a van as a tow vehicle. Our truck is comfortable and has a topper so we have all the storage space we need. But a van would allow easier access to the stuff! We also travel with a Clam screen room and cannot praise it enough. Everybody is different and there is more than one way to fulltime. Sending you good wishes on finding your way.

Deborah and Sue

#14 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,422 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:50 AM

adam, after you pick up your casita, you may want to camp at lake bardwell. many new casita owners come here from the factory for a day or 2 to test the systems, make sure all is well before they continue on their "maiden voyage". i accepted a volunteer administrative assistant position with the COE out here til march 31, and would love to meet/camp with you if you pick up your casita before then. safe travels.................

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#15 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 580 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:19 AM

That is great advice Claire. I wish I would have thought of it myself. ;-)

Depending on the weekend, we will join you Huckleberry. Lake Bardwell COE is only about 40 miles from where we live in Dallas so an easy excuse to get outdoors for the weekend. Ennis is just across the bridge and a great little town with all of the amenities in the event you need to pick up any provisions. Besides, you will need someone to keep Claire from giving you bad advice. (I joke because I love.) With as many Casita owners as there are in North Texas, you may get more company than you planned for. Ha! Keep us posted on your pick-up date and we will try and coordinate schedules.

Happy camping!

Toddy
  • clairemr1 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: full timing, full-timing, spirit deluxe