• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#16 stratos175

stratos175
  • Casita Club Member
  • 212 posts
  • Local time: 02:42 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit
  • Interests:hiking, kayaking, disc golf and spending time in in our Casita.
  • Trailer Name:Matilda

Posted 14 November 2016 - 05:33 AM

Wish I had your skills. I had a 2001 Roadtrek for a couple of years before we got our Casita and will admit the on board generator came in handy on several occasions. f ever boondocking more in the future I will be looking into this myself.

Thanks for all the helpful info.

Safe travels

Steve and Patty

#17 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,023 posts
  • Local time: 11:42 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:01 AM

Good looking gen-set rehab job there John. Nicely done. Looks better than new.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#18 CC-John

CC-John

Iconoclast

• Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 681 posts
  • Local time: 01:42 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17SD
  • Interests:Classic Fiberglass Boats, Hot Babes, Fine Cigars, & Good Whiskey
  • Trailer Name:No Tell Motel & Cigar Lounge

Posted 14 November 2016 - 06:04 PM

Wish I had your skills. I had a 2001 Roadtrek for a couple of years before we got our Casita and will admit the on board generator came in handy on several occasions. f ever boondocking more in the future I will be looking into this myself.

Thanks for all the helpful info.

Safe travels

Steve and Patty

There's not really many skills needed, the whole teardown and reassembly is nothing more than simple wrench turning.. Having the factory service manual for the genset is a "must have" for this kind of work.. The only special skills needed were when I welded the steel angle supports for the genset's mounting brackets to the trailer tongue..

I'd had my fill of wrestling with portable generators with my two previous stickbuilts.. When I bought the Casita I was hellbent on installing a permanent fixed mount generator that was hardwired into the shorepower system.. The little Onan just punched all the right buttons for size & weight, power output, ease of use, and fuel consumption..

• Steamboat likes this

CC-John

"I void warranties"

FGRV #1 1973 Century Resorter 16 - Powered by Chrysler LM318 225HP V-8

BOAT PICS

FGRV #2 1978 Chris*Craft 251 Catalina Express - Powered by PCM 383 Chevy V-8 340HP

BOAT PICS

FGRV #3 2007 Casita 17SD - Powered by Onan CampPower 2500LP

CASITA PICS

#19 CC-John

CC-John

Iconoclast

• Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 681 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 06:08 PM

Good looking gen-set rehab job there John. Nicely done. Looks better than new.

Thanks, Greg!!

Hopefully I'll be able to finish this "little" project this week after the big brown truck drops off a box of exhaust parts in a couple of days.. Then I have to get the trailer ready and packed for a trip up to Larry Gamble's place over the Thanksgiving holiday..

CC-John

"I void warranties"

BOAT PICS

FGRV #2 1978 Chris*Craft 251 Catalina Express - Powered by PCM 383 Chevy V-8 340HP

BOAT PICS

CASITA PICS

#20 CC-John

CC-John

Iconoclast

• Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 681 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 03:03 PM

Well the big brown truck brought me a box of parts earlier in the week, I managed to get a few hours today to finish buttoning everything up..

Got the little monster back in it's lair, hopefully I won't have to deal with it again for another 600 hours of service..

100_2490.JPG 100_2491.JPG

And with the new flexible pipe, NO MORE exhaust leaks!! B)

100_2492.JPG

After getting everything reconnected, I fired it up and ran it at full load for a couple of hours to "bake" the ceramic header paint I used on the exhaust components.. After that was done, I used the onboard AC Multi-Function Meter (measures volts, amps, watts, frequency) so I could dial in the governor settings as the output frequency was a bit off.. The AC meter is located above my DC Battery Monitor in the cabinet over the side dinette..

100_2142.JPG

• Steamboat likes this

CC-John

"I void warranties"

BOAT PICS

BOAT PICS

CASITA PICS

#21 Steamboat

Steamboat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 188 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 17' ID
  • Trailer Name:Steamboat

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:20 AM

CC John, Is that a Ford Explorer Sport Trak next to the the Casita? Is that your tow vehicle? I really like your Ac & DC monitoring meters! Very nice mods! Did you say that you are going up to LHC just before Thanksgiving?

Karl & Norma with Scout "The Wonder Dog"

2013 Honda Pilot AWD - EX-L

#22 CC-John

CC-John

Iconoclast

• Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 681 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:31 AM

CC John, Is that a Ford Explorer Sport Trak next to the the Casita? Is that your tow vehicle? I really like your Ac & DC monitoring meters! Very nice mods! Did you say that you are going up to LHC just before Thanksgiving?

Karl,

That's my girlfriend's Explorer wagon, it's got the 4.6L V-8 but it is only equipped with the small 1 1/4" receiver hitch.. I'm not too keen on the strength of it's 6 speed automatic as a towing transmission with it's double overdrive geartrain and lack of a true 1:1 direct drive for towing.. But it's an absolute blast to drive with 297 HP on tap!! B)

I'm a charter member of the "go big or go home" club when it comes to tow vehicles, my primary Casita tug is a heavily modded 2006 F150 SuperCrew with the "long" 6 1/2' bed.. It's equipped with the 5.4L V-8, a heavily beefed up 4R75W 4 speed automatic transmission, 4:10 gears in the rear axle, and an Edge Evolution tuner.. The engine has been upgraded with a larger cold air intake and a larger 3 1/2" "straight thru" cat back exhaust system that sounds a bit like a NASCAR stock car when you pour on the coals.. :D The bed is covered with an ARE topper with the optional side "windoors".. I built a crossbed shelf that rests on the top of the bedrails at the front of the bed for storing frequently needed items so they're easily accessed thru the side windoors, other support gear is stored in plastic tubs under the shelf, I also installed a LP tank rack in the back corner for hauling two extra 30# LP tanks.. I carry an auxiliary battery for the Casita in the other back corner that plugs into a 7-way gooseneck connector wired into the back of the 7-way socket under the rear bumper.. The way I wired it in, it's downstream of the truck's isolation relay in the charge wire and backfeeds to the trailer thru the 7-way connector under the bumper when the trailer is plugged in.. It more than doubles my "hang time" before I have to fire up the genset to charge them back up..

100_2112.JPG 100_1222.jpg 100_1223.jpg 100_1700.JPG

It's looking like our Thanksgiving travel plans have been put on hold, the transmission in my Casita tug decided to lose low gear and reverse when I brought the Casita home from storage Friday afternoon.. It goes to the transmission shop on Monday morning and there's no guarantee that they will be able to have it ready by Wednesday.. After talking to my transmission guy, we have come to the conclusion that this problem may be related to an accident we were involved in before Christmas last year.. We had gone out to do a bit of shopping and were on the way home, we were stopped at a traffic light when a drunk Mexican in a Toyota Corolla rear-ended us.. He ran clear up under the back of the truck on the driver's side, impacting the rear wheel and pushing the axle & driveline forward.. My transmission guy thinks it may have damaged some parts inside the transmission that finally failed.. As soon as they can get the transmission removed and torn down to see what failed and give me a report, I'll need to get hold of my insurance company to see if they will reopen the accident claim and help pay for the repairs.. What really pisses me off is that I had just had that transmission completely rebuilt and beefed up about four months before the accident.. :angry:

We'll probably end up going up to Larry's for a visit between Christmas & New Years..

Edited by CC-John, 20 November 2016 - 12:03 PM.

• Steamboat likes this

CC-John

"I void warranties"

BOAT PICS

BOAT PICS

CASITA PICS

#23 Steamboat

Steamboat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 05:35 AM

NICE rig CC John! You arranged things well in the back of the truck. I agree with your assertion that the wreck caused your transmission damage. Can be very frustrating. Hope your transmission repair is not too damaging to your wallet. Enjoy a terrific Thanksgiving and hope to meet you some day. We don't live far from LHC...actually on the southeast corner of Cedar Creek Reservoir.

#24 CC-John

CC-John

Iconoclast

• Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 681 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:59 PM

NICE rig CC John! You arranged things well in the back of the truck. I agree with your assertion that the wreck caused your transmission damage. Can be very frustrating. Hope your transmission repair is not too damaging to your wallet. Enjoy a terrific Thanksgiving and hope to meet you some day. We don't live far from LHC...actually on the southeast corner of Cedar Creek Reservoir.

Thanks, Karl!!

Hopefully I'll find out something on the transmission this week, the transmission shop sent a flatbed wrecker this morning to pick up the truck..

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!! I'm planning on spending at least a few hours of Thanksgiving day recovering from a massive food coma.. ;) :lol:  Then I'll probably mix a tall rum & coke and fire up a good cigar to round out the day..

Feel free to rattle my cage if you're ever gonna be down around Houston and I'll try to get loose from work to meet up with you..

CC-John

"I void warranties"

BOAT PICS

BOAT PICS

CASITA PICS

#25 CC-John

CC-John

Iconoclast

• Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 681 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:51 AM

WOO HOO!!!

The transmission shop called late yesterday afternoon to let me know that my truck was ready to pick up and that it was on their dime!! Gotta make a run out to Baytown this morning and pick it up.. B)

CC-John

"I void warranties"

BOAT PICS

BOAT PICS

CASITA PICS

#26 Steamboat

Steamboat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:53 AM

That is not real close, CC-John! He must be a wing-dinger of a transmission guy. Safe travels.

#27 CC-John

CC-John

Iconoclast

• Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 681 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:24 AM

That is not real close, CC-John! He must be a wing-dinger of a transmission guy. Safe travels.

I've used Carl's Transmissions for almost 20 years, they're my "go to" shop for everything from the flywheel to the drive wheels.. They're a great family run business that's just like dealing with Larry and his crew at Little House Customs..

Now if this damn squall line from a passing cold front will blow on thru, we'll be able to run over and pick up the truck..

Edited by CC-John, 23 November 2016 - 06:25 AM.

• Steamboat likes this

CC-John

"I void warranties"

BOAT PICS

BOAT PICS

CASITA PICS

#28 Steamboat

Steamboat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:54 PM

CC-John, I was wondering if anyone uses vibration dampeners (vibration pads or vibration feet) for their generators. They must vibrate while operating and that vibration would transmit into the the Casita frame...

#29 CC-John

CC-John

Iconoclast

• Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 681 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:51 PM

CC-John, I was wondering if anyone uses vibration dampeners (vibration pads or vibration feet) for their generators. They must vibrate while operating and that vibration would transmit into the the Casita frame...

Karl,

I don't know what owners of portable generators do but the engine/generator assembly on my Onan is mounted to it's belly pan with three large, soft rubber vibration isolators to mute any engine vibrations from being transmitted to the frame of the trailer.. The genset's isolators do so well that the roof A/C vibrates the trailer more than the genset does..

The main reason I ponied up the extra bucks for the Onan was because I didn't want to have to fool with engineering a system to dampen the vibrations from a frame mounted portable.. The other reason was I wanted a "hardwired", electric start generator so I didn't have to fool with stepping outside and plugging in the trailer cord or starting the generator every time I wanted 120VAC power.. With my setup, when I need 120V power it's available at the push of a button from inside the trailer..

Edited by CC-John, 14 December 2016 - 05:56 PM.

• Beetlefreak and Steamboat like this

CC-John

"I void warranties"

BOAT PICS

BOAT PICS

CASITA PICS

#30 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,801 posts
  • Local time: 10:42 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:00 AM

What amazes me about your entire generator rebuild is 1: I don't see a cheat sheet (which I HAVE to create every time) and 2. it seems you have no parts left over after putting her all back together. Tells me you know what the heck you are doing and you do it right.

Gads, that's an ugly color. Split pea soup green. Ick. Sorry folks but I just can't bring myself to eat peas. 

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."