Iconoclast

• Rally Organizer
  • 696 posts
  • Local time: 09:49 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17SD
  • Interests:Classic Fiberglass Boats, Hot Babes, Fine Cigars, & Good Whiskey
  • Trailer Name:No Tell Motel & Cigar Lounge

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:35 PM

I'd purchased it from Lippert Components  just after getting my trailer, but got busy with other projects.. I finally got around to installing it about four years ago,  I had to weld in a couple of short pieces of angle iron to make a suitable mounting bracket.. The winch is operated by a piece of 1/2" steel tubing that I welded a 1/2" bolt with a 3/4" head in one end of, this allows me to use the same ratcheting wrench that I use on my BAL leveler.. The end of the tube is just forward of the rear bumper and can be easily reached from above or below the bumper.. There are also a pair of 1" square tube "snubbers" for the tire to be snugged up against..

100_1354.jpg 100_1355.jpg 100_1356.jpg 100_1357.jpg

(continued below)

Edited by CC-John, 28 December 2015 - 03:43 PM.

• Wally Z likes this

CC-John

"I void warranties"

FGRV #1 1973 Century Resorter 16 - Powered by Chrysler LM318 225HP V-8

BOAT PICS

FGRV #2 2007 Casita 17SD - Powered by Onan CampPower 2500LP

CASITA PICS

#2 CC-John

CC-John

Iconoclast

• Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 696 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:37 PM

100_1358.jpg 100_1360.jpg 100_1361.jpg 100_1363.jpg

The spare now sits just aft of the axle and offset to the driver's side of the trailer.. Hopefully, this will help to offset the weight of the galley on the other side.. No ground clearance was lost, the gray tank support frame still hangs lower than the spare does.. Also the tire is far enough forward that my approach angle from the rear is not compromised.. Stretching a string from the bottom of the road wheels to the bottom of the back bumper has the spare just above the string, so the spare shouldn't drag when venturing off road..

• Wally Z likes this

CC-John

"I void warranties"

BOAT PICS

CASITA PICS

#3 C.FiberglassFreedom

C.FiberglassFreedom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 253 posts
  • Local time: 10:49 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD, 17

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:31 PM

The L shaped piece of metal with the hole drilled through is that an added piece of metal or is that part of the trailer frame?  Is there any concern of flex/breaking I've always been told any holes lowers frame stability but I've never seen anything solid besides hearsay.   Very neat idea glad to see some new modifications always open to more ideas to make my casita exactly as I want.

Edited by C.FiberglassFreedom, 28 December 2015 - 11:32 PM.

#4 CC-John

CC-John

Iconoclast

• Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 696 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:15 AM

The L shaped piece of metal with the hole drilled through is that an added piece of metal or is that part of the trailer frame?  Is there any concern of flex/breaking I've always been told any holes lowers frame stability but I've never seen anything solid besides hearsay.   Very neat idea glad to see some new modifications always open to more ideas to make my casita exactly as I want.

That piece of angle is a "crossmember" that I welded under there to support the crank down stabilizer jacks that are welded to it..

The only part of the frame that you should avoid drilling holes in is the top & bottom "flange" of the main longitudinal frame rails.. If you must drill a hole in the main rails, it's best to try to locate it in the "web" of the C-channel rather than in either flange..

• C.FiberglassFreedom likes this

CC-John

"I void warranties"

BOAT PICS

CASITA PICS

#5 C.FiberglassFreedom

C.FiberglassFreedom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 253 posts
  • Local time: 10:49 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD, 17

Posted 29 December 2015 - 04:06 PM

That piece of angle is a "crossmember" that I welded under there to support the crank down stabilizer jacks that are welded to it..

The only part of the frame that you should avoid drilling holes in is the top & bottom "flange" of the main longitudinal frame rails.. If you must drill a hole in the main rails, it's best to try to locate it in the "web" of the C-channel rather than in either flange..

Gotcha, thanks for the reply. 

#6 Joe Romas

Joe Romas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 330 posts
  • Local time: 07:49 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD
  • Interests:Hobbies are machining, doing "mods" to my Casita, camping and keeping busy.

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:31 AM

I bought this exact winch to mount the spare underneath our Casita.

Mounting the spare works fine under the bed of my Z71 Silverado but crawling around underneath my non lifted Casita I quickly realized it wouldn't work for me.

So now I have the exact new unused winch John has that I will sell at a cheap to anyone  interested.

Just shoot me a p-mail with your phone number and we'll work out a price with shipping.

Joe

Joe and Mary Romas
Columbus, OH
1999 Casita 17' SD
2017 GMC Seirra