16 replies to this topic

#16 Tombrown

Tombrown
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 88 posts
  • Local time: 05:42 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit 17 SD #12415
  • Interests:Picked up our Casita Aug 2014. HE: Retired pilot, Vietnam vet, garage tinkerer, SCUBA diver, sports car enthusiast, RC aircraft and HAM radio hobbyist: KD5ETJ. SHE: exotic plant grower, history buff, SCUBA diver, writer.
  • Trailer Name:Gone Walkabout
  • Casita Club Directory #:14442

Posted 25 December 2015 - 08:28 PM

T

The oil heater I speak of looks like the old fashioned steam radiators.

It runs solely on AC. I bought them from Ace Hardware, they're fairly easy to get and they're definitely worth buying. They're silent and keep things warm. There's no CO2 emissions, no open flame. I call it an 'oil heater' because..maybe I'm wrong?? I assume it's filled with some sort of oil, not 10W30 but some other. I might be completely wrong. Maybe it's water. Whatever, it's far preferable than a noisy fan driven electric element heater.

Very kool- I understand - I like it

#17 Tombrown

Tombrown
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 88 posts
  • Local time: 05:42 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit 17 SD #12415
  • Interests:Picked up our Casita Aug 2014. HE: Retired pilot, Vietnam vet, garage tinkerer, SCUBA diver, sports car enthusiast, RC aircraft and HAM radio hobbyist: KD5ETJ. SHE: exotic plant grower, history buff, SCUBA diver, writer.
  • Trailer Name:Gone Walkabout
  • Casita Club Directory #:14442

Posted 25 December 2015 - 08:30 PM

#4, most of us travel with the fridge running on propane. Few vehicles have adequate wiring to pass enough juice to the battery to keep the fridge running on DC without depleting the trailer battery.  Some guys have beefed up that wiring, others just go with propane.

I didn't know if it was safe to run on propane? I ran with the frig on DC for most of the time. I even would go to lunch with the frig running on the car/trailers battery. I didn't have any problems until I had I connector become lose.
If you run your refrigerator on 12V while driving, disconnecting while stopped depends on your tow vehicle wiring.  Some include a relay that shuts off the feed to the trailer when the tow vehicle's ignition is off.  Some don't.  If you don't have the relay, it would be a good idea to unplug the trailer when stopped for more than an hour or so.  You can check to see if your tow has a relay by measuring the voltage between pins 1 & 4 (ground & 12V) at the tow vehicle's 7 pin connector.  If it shuts off with the ignition switch, you are good.  If not, unplug or install a disconnect relay.

I installed the hot wire to the trailer with 50 amp ham radio wire - maybe that's why I don't have a problem