Photo

Travelling With Propane On ? Safe / Dangerous Or Ok?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 594 posts
  • Local time: 11:53 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 26 December 2015 - 01:47 PM

Wally, not to mention the great gas mileage one gets, but the scenery could get old. BTW, are you Ted Cruz's twin?

Mark Watson

Houston,Tx
2008 17' FD

#32 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,588 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:25 PM

I've run with the propane on while traveling. It stays on at home as well. I've even refilled the lawn mower with gas when it ran out right next to the Casita. 

The video I think Claire is referring to was a motor home that started on fire from some other reason and not because of the propane fridge. 

Clover

no, another casita member posted on here several months ago about news reports of travel trailers/rvs exploding and destroying gas stations as a result of propane being on at the time of refueling. i can't recall the casita member's name at the moment, maybe he'll chime in again and refresh my memory.

also please refer to posting # 21, and read what a fire expert recommends as the safest mode to travel in. bottom line, as we've said many times, do what you want to do. some travel with fridge on propane because it's either convenient for them or their wiring from the tow vehicle doesn't support proper fridge functioning. i've towed with both DC mode and with propane. however, i predominantly tow with fridge on DC mode, along with several other casita owners who have posted on here, because 1. it's what my fridge manual advises me to do 2. my tow vehicle wiring supports the fridge without any decrease in my battery or lowered fridge temp. 3. i feel it's the safer way to travel. my choice. pick yours and go with it. safe travels

I looked for the post/thread you referenced about someones rv refrigerator starting a gas station fire, no luck. I did find this specific topic addressed at least 6 times on this forum. It has probably been beaten to death on the other Casita forum and FiberglassRV an equal or larger number of times. 

here is a thread typical of what you will more often read http://www.casitaclu...rigerator firepeople travel with it on than off. 

post #21 has Eileen quoting a retired fire chief that has a 5th wheel who sees no danger in traveling with the refrigerator on propane. So which expert are you going to believe. Since is is NOT widely illegal to travel with it on with the exception of tunnels and ferrys I would feel there is no widespread epidemic of fires started in RVs while traveling with their refrigerators running on propane. My gosh there are more cases of fires starting at gas pumps from people charged up with static electricity. The refrigerator is on the opposite side of where I fuel my diesel truck and more often than not the diesel pumps are on the outside set of most gas stations. So if it makes you feel better either turn off your propane before you enter the station and/or use the outside pumps so no one is refueling on your curb side of the Casita. 

Clover

• CC-John likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#33 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local time: 12:53 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:54 PM

I've run with the propane on while traveling. It stays on at home as well. I've even refilled the lawn mower with gas when it ran out right next to the Casita. 

The video I think Claire is referring to was a motor home that started on fire from some other reason and not because of the propane fridge. 

Clover

no, another casita member posted on here several months ago about news reports of travel trailers/rvs exploding and destroying gas stations as a result of propane being on at the time of refueling. i can't recall the casita member's name at the moment, maybe he'll chime in again and refresh my memory.

also please refer to posting # 21, and read what a fire expert recommends as the safest mode to travel in. bottom line, as we've said many times, do what you want to do. some travel with fridge on propane because it's either convenient for them or their wiring from the tow vehicle doesn't support proper fridge functioning. i've towed with both DC mode and with propane. however, i predominantly tow with fridge on DC mode, along with several other casita owners who have posted on here, because 1. it's what my fridge manual advises me to do 2. my tow vehicle wiring supports the fridge without any decrease in my battery or lowered fridge temp. 3. i feel it's the safer way to travel. my choice. pick yours and go with it. safe travels

I looked for the post/thread you referenced about someones rv refrigerator starting a gas station fire, no luck. I did find this specific topic addressed at least 6 times on this forum. It has probably been beaten to death on the other Casita forum and FiberglassRV an equal or larger number of times. 

here is a thread typical of what you will more often read http://www.casitaclu...rigerator firepeople travel with it on than off. 

post #21 has Eileen quoting a retired fire chief that has a 5th wheel who sees no danger in traveling with the refrigerator on propane. So which expert are you going to believe. Since is is NOT widely illegal to travel with it on with the exception of tunnels and ferrys I would feel there is no widespread epidemic of fires started in RVs while traveling with their refrigerators running on propane. My gosh there are more cases of fires starting at gas pumps from people charged up with static electricity. The refrigerator is on the opposite side of where I fuel my diesel truck and more often than not the diesel pumps are on the outside set of most gas stations. So if it makes you feel better either turn off your propane before you enter the station and/or use the outside pumps so no one is refueling on your curb side of the Casita. 

Clover

when there is a difference of "professional" opinion, i chose the safer of the two opinions. since the instructions that came with my fridge say to run it on DC while enroute and while  i have no impediment to running my fridge on DC while travelling, like many of us here, i chose to run it on DC and save my propane for boondocking. and while i agree that there are not a lot of documented cases of explosions due to fridge's on propane in gas stations, i feel there is a risk,if there is an undetected propane leak or if someone has spilled something highly flammable in the spot i drive in to in the gas station. it's one risk i don't have to take. i just have to worry about the nuts out there on the road after i leave the gas station!

if i had no other choice, if my tow vehicle wiring would not support the DC option, then i would drive with the fridge on propane. however, i would always be aware that there is a small chance of a problem. fortunately, i don't have to worry about it. the DC option works for me and it's the one i prefer.

Edited by clairemr1, 27 December 2015 - 05:22 PM.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#34 lkg907

lkg907
  • Casita Club Member
  • 262 posts
  • Local time: 10:53 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17' SD

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:49 AM

How about the furnace?  I've got a a really cold spell coming with the start of a trip to AZ. 

#35 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,588 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:15 AM

How about the furnace?  I've got a a really cold spell coming with the start of a trip to AZ. 

I have unintentionally traveled with the furnace left turned on. It's probably happened a half dozen times over the past 9 years, where I just forgot to turn it off. I arrived safely sometimes as much as 6 hours later. I've done the same with the water heater, then hear it firing up several days later while parked in the driveway. Some have chosen to put the lighted switch on the water heater to remind them to turn it off. I have never made to effort to make that change. 

We do a lot of winter camping. I've never intentionally traveled with the furnace on. I just drain as much of the water from the water lines while in transit. Knock on wood we have not had any waterline freezes while in transit. 

Clover

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#36 CC-John

CC-John

Iconoclast

• Rally Organizer
  • 696 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17SD
  • Interests:Classic Fiberglass Boats, Hot Babes, Fine Cigars, & Good Whiskey
  • Trailer Name:No Tell Motel & Cigar Lounge

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:16 AM

Doesn't hurt a thing, except your pocketbook from the excessive propane use.. :D

I've purposely run with the furnace on because I despise having to winterize the plumbing, and want full use of the systems when we go camping in cold weather.. Did it with my old stickbuilt and still do it with the Casita, ain't killed nobody yet.. ;)  B)

CC-John

"I void warranties"

FGRV #1 1973 Century Resorter 16 - Powered by Chrysler LM318 225HP V-8

BOAT PICS

FGRV #2 2007 Casita 17SD - Powered by Onan CampPower 2500LP

CASITA PICS

#37 CasitaGene

CasitaGene
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 01:53 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17'
  • Interests:Camping, sight seeing, Kayaking, photography, people, exploring local color

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:07 AM

I realize this post is from 2015, however I just read it and I would like to add my 2 cents and a suggestion on the subject of travelling with Propane in use.  First of all, I've make it this far (68) without killing myself or others, so I am not a believer in pushing my luck.  (And I've done my share of dumb things)  I personnally believe there are more reasons to not tow with Propane in use for obvious reasons.   Enough on this opinion.  We tow with our Nissan Frontier PU or our Nissan Xterra which has a properly wired 7 pin connecter that sufficiently supplies 12 volts to the Casita so we travel using the DC feature on the fridge.  If we stop for more than 10 minutes, we usually switch it off so it doesn't drain the Casita battery.  If our stop is more than 1 hour, we switch to propane. NOW FOR THE LESSON LEARNED.

If you travel with the fridge on 12 DC as we do, just be certain your wiring harness for the 12v feed is of an adequate gauge wire and is matched with the correct fuse or circuit breaker.  Our first Casita excursion was to Fish Creek DEC campround in the Adirondacks.  (No electric hookup here, only dry camping)  We checked in, and on our way to our site, stopped to fill up the water tank.  While doing so, I discovered the pump would not run, hence no running water.  Trailer lights would barely light.  Being a newbie at that point, we immediately checked out and headed for a private campground across the road that offered electric and water hookup.  After settling in, I discovered the fuse for the 12v feed had blown on the 2 hr trip up and the fridge (which draws a hefty amount of current) was sucking down the Casita's battery since the tow vehicle was not charging the trailer as well.  This occurred because I used a 10 amp fuse instead of the correct 20 amp fuse.

Happy Camping,

CasitaGene

• Meadowlark and Steamboat like this

#38 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,291 posts
  • Local time: 09:53 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:31 PM

Lesson learned!!

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."