• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 564 posts
  • Local time: 10:11 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:44 AM

Good morning Sara! I recommend that you post in the wanted section of the forums listed above exactly what you are looking for. You never know when someone might be willing to part with their trailer due to aging or lack of use. There are Casita owners all over the country and I bet you could easily get one to checkout a nearby Casita for you should you find one you are interested in some distance away. I would be more than happy to extend that offer to you here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex. Can you imagine traveling half way across the country only to find out that raccoons have been living in it for the past few years. Someone local could at least tell you if the unit is clean, never been smoked in and free of holes in the exterior, etc.

Another bit of advice is to consider how you plan to camp? If you anticipate traveling from coast to coast, then a smaller size may be easy for you to handle and more economical to tow long distances. I am good friends with Claire (ClaireMR1) and there are no flies on her. She tows her 13' Patriot EVERYWHERE. If you plan to remain in a smaller radius from home for longer periods of time, then the 16' and 17' will be more desirable. We have a 17' Spirit Deluxe and enjoy the side dinette and extra storage space that it affords.

On a recent camping trip, every couple that walked by our Casita the man said, "that is exactly what I wanted. Something easy to handle and economical to tow, but she would have no part of it." So they ended up in long trailers with multiple slide-outs. At 65 that probably isn't a big deal, but at 75 these guys are really starting to struggle. I am sure big trailers are wonderful once they are set-up in camp, but getting them there along with the set-up and breakdown, pew!

A Casita should last you a lifetime, so don't settle for anything less than what you want. You will regret it every time you camp, and life is way too short for regrets. You may end up spending a little more money on the front end, but I suspect everyone on this forum will tell you it is well worth the investment.

Best of luck!

Toddy
  • clairemr1, SouthwestDude and cybercuban like this

#17 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 564 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:48 AM

Not sure if this is the rig you are looking for, but "4Helen" just posted this on this forum:

My new 13' Patriot Deluxe was delivered Saturday 5/24....had been anxiously waiting its delivery. Meanwhile my arthritic knee has gotten progressively worse. I will be unable to navigate in the smaller space. So I am selling it and will buy a 16 foot Spirit Deluxe. The Patriot has not been touched! Has lift kit and all LED light options. Asking $14,500. Near Ocala/Gainesville FL
  • clairemr1 likes this

#18 cybercuban

cybercuban
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:TBD
  • Interests:Camping, forests, rivers, creeks, the ocean, singing, dancing, cooking and the old fashioned reading of a good book in my hands - not a screen.

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:13 AM

Good morning Sara! I recommend that you post in the wanted section of the forums listed above exactly what you are looking for. You never know when someone might be willing to part with their trailer due to aging or lack of use. There are Casita owners all over the country and I bet you could easily get one to checkout a nearby Casita for you should you find one you are interested in some distance away. I would be more than happy to extend that offer to you here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex. Can you imagine traveling half way across the country only to find out that raccoons have been living in it for the past few years. Someone local could at least tell you if the unit is clean, never been smoked in and free of holes in the exterior, etc.

Another bit of advice is to consider how you plan to camp? If you anticipate traveling from coast to coast, then a smaller size may be easy for you to handle and more economical to tow long distances. I am good friends with Claire (ClaireMR1) and there are no flies on her. She tows her 13' Patriot EVERYWHERE. If you plan to remain in a smaller radius from home for longer periods of time, then the 16' and 17' will be more desirable. We have a 17' Spirit Deluxe and enjoy the side dinette and extra storage space that it affords.

On a recent camping trip, every couple that walked by our Casita the man said, "that is exactly what I wanted. Something easy to handle and economical to tow, but she would have no part of it." So they ended up in long trailers with multiple slide-outs. At 65 that probably isn't a big deal, but at 75 these guys are really starting to struggle. I am sure big trailers are wonderful once they are set-up in camp, but getting them there along with the set-up and breakdown, pew!

A Casita should last you a lifetime, so don't settle for anything less than what you want. You will regret it every time you camp, and life is way too short for regrets. You may end up spending a little more money on the front end, but I suspect everyone on this forum will tell you it is well worth the investment.

Best of luck!

Toddy

Best of luck!

Toddy

Good morning Toddy!

Thank you for your VERY valuable advice and your EXTREMELY wonderful offer.  I've come across several Casita's for sale in your area.  
Here are my particulars:

A.  If I buy now, my 97 RAV4 cannot tow the trailer - and . . . I won't have sufficient funds to upgrade my car for a "reliable" vehicle that can tow.  I am the original owner of my 97 RAV4 which I have provided with top notch care.  Thus, she has served me well for the 19 years I have owned her.  Before "Faith" (my RAV4) I owned several lemons and this provided valuable learning experiences. So . . . I am going to buy Toyota again and am careful and picky about what I will buy.  This means that I decided to buy the vehicle first and the trailer second.

B.  At present, I live in an apartment.  If I continue to live here, I would have to pay for RV storage.   The "plan" is to buy the trailer, and place it on my sister's property which is 50 miles north of my apartment and an area that is not the "big city".  I've reached a place in my life where I am very uncomfortable with the "big city" lifestyle.  My goals are not only related to buying a trailer that I will use occasionally, but rather a "lifestyle" change.  My children all think I'm looney.  

C.   It is highly probable that initially,  I will be spending long periods of time (3-4 months) traveling, and eventually I may even live in it full time.  I'm a former tent camper and when the boys were growing up we sometimes camped for 2 or 3 consecutive weeks in the summer.  We camped in areas where there were no showers or modern conveniences.  I still love tent camping - but as a female alone at the age of 65, I think a Casita is what will work for me.  I am fairly certain that I will not be traveling anywhere beyond North Carolina.   Because of this, I really think 13' will not be the best fit for me.  I realize that there is not a big difference between a 13 ft and a 16 ft.  However, my view about the space is that if necessary, I will make changes inside the trailer to accommodate my preferences.  One example is that I find the space is ideal for 'short term' usage versus extended traveling or full time usage.  I actually want to create a trailer that provides me with a self-sustainable situation, i.e. solar power, etc.  

D.  Bottom line?  As you wrote, I will not "settle for anything less than what you want" and this requires patience and taking this one-step-at-a-time.   I will probably buy the car within the next few weeks and then, I will look at my finances again and begin posting "wanted" announcements.

Thanks again for your insight!

Sara

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Florida