• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 cybercuban

cybercuban
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts
  • Local time: 06:03 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:TBD
  • Interests:Camping, forests, rivers, creeks, the ocean, singing, dancing, cooking and the old fashioned reading of a good book in my hands - not a screen.

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:25 PM

In my sixties, I have gruesomely accepted the fact that I am an endangered species.  I am a native of south Florida and nowadays rarely meet anyone that was born here.  I am a retired midwife and now work auditing medical records. sigh . . . <_<

I love tent camping.  However, my love for nature now requires a travel trailer versus the tent.  I have been working on researching this very broad subject and have narrowed it down to:
1.  Moulded fiberglass
2.  Casita 16' or 17'
3.  Used and affordable

There are very few Casita owners in Florida compared to other parts of the U.S. and it is challenging to find a used Casita that I can afford.  However . . . I WILL SUCCEED! :dncinban:

and when I find her . . . I will perform a celebratory HAPPY DANCE!  :danc: 

#2 Tom Haberski

Tom Haberski
  • Casita Club Member
  • 170 posts
  • Local time: 05:03 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:1996 16' LD

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:45 PM

I feel your angst.  Same age, same hankering to tent camp, but Father Time has caught up with my bones and a trailer, minimal as it is beats tenting, especially in foul weather or extended travel periods.  Woke up 4-5 years ago in February in the Panhandle of Florida, frost on the ground and both my wife and I said we're getting too old for this tent stuff.  Still tent camp some in summer, but Fall and Winter trips are now possible and pleasant.

Be patient, keep looking, stuff comes along, just not right away.

• cybercuban likes this

#3 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,355 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:46 PM

welcome to the wonderful world of casita! you're on the right track. keep searching and you'll find the right trailer for you. be advised, they go fast, so if you find one, be prepared with tow vehicle and purchase price. safe travels and i hope you enjoy your casita as much as i've enjoyed mine.

• SKYTALKER and cybercuban like this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#4 Tampa Rick

Tampa Rick
  • Casita Club Member
  • 129 posts
  • Local time: 11:03 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:00

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:37 AM

In my sixties, I have gruesomely accepted the fact that I am an endangered species.  I am a native of south Florida and nowadays rarely meet anyone that was born here.  I am a retired midwife and now work auditing medical records. sigh . . . <_<

I love tent camping.  However, my love for nature now requires a travel trailer versus the tent.  I have been working on researching this very broad subject and have narrowed it down to:
1.  Moulded fiberglass
2.  Casita 16' or 17'
3.  Used and affordable

There are very few Casita owners in Florida compared to other parts of the U.S. and it is challenging to find a used Casita that I can afford.  However . . . I WILL SUCCEED! :dncinban:

Midwife- sounds like you had a challenging/interesting profession.  never could get into tenting. My family did it for a short while in Europe and my time in the Army was spent in many a tent out in the boonies.

Up here in the TB/STP area as well as Ocala (The Villages) get a few offerings for used Casitas. The sister forum has them listed in the classifieds.  Currrently there is nice looking one listed from St Pete.

EDIT: Just noticed that this site has the classified ad as well.

Edited by Tampa Rick, 21 December 2015 - 05:53 AM.

• cybercuban likes this

#5 cybercuban

cybercuban
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Camping, forests, rivers, creeks, the ocean, singing, dancing, cooking and the old fashioned reading of a good book in my hands - not a screen.

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:56 AM

I feel your angst.  Same age, same hankering to tent camp, but Father Time has caught up with my bones and a trailer, minimal as it is beats tenting, especially in foul weather or extended travel periods.  Woke up 4-5 years ago in February in the Panhandle of Florida, frost on the ground and both my wife and I said we're getting too old for this tent stuff.  Still tent camp some in summer, but Fall and Winter trips are now possible and pleasant.

Be patient, keep looking, stuff comes along, just not right away.

Hi Tom!

It is comforting to read that you 'understand'.  :)   Geesh!  I can't even imagine waking up to frost on the ground!  Thank you for the encouraging welcome!  :D  

Sara

#6 stratos175

stratos175
  • Casita Club Member
  • 212 posts
  • Local time: 07:03 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit
  • Interests:hiking, kayaking, disc golf and spending time in in our Casita.
  • Trailer Name:Matilda

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:14 AM

Welcome to the Casita family,

We live in Georgia and have had our Matilda about 2 years and I found it on ebay in TN. I would agree one at the 'right' price will sell quickly so I would decide what years and model you want. You mention 16-17 there are some big differences in the two but what I understand other than one foot of space. Also since you are used to the space a tent provides and sound like you are solo from an expense and ease of towing maybe you start off with a 13' if you can find one at price you think is good.

I would search everywhere you can think of. I know I would type in 'used casita for sale' in the search engine and I was amazed at all the different sites, be careful though some bogus ads and you also may want to plan on driving anywhere in the SE to get what you want. I know that sound worrisome but if you find one you can find someone on this forum or another that knows the story that goes with it and if they are close enough willing to go look at it for you.

You are making two wise choices in my opinion, planning to purchase a Casita and joined this great group of people that have been very helpful along the way.

Good luck with your search,

Steve and Patty

• Tampa Rick and cybercuban like this

#7 cybercuban

cybercuban
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:27 AM

welcome to the wonderful world of casita! you're on the right track. keep searching and you'll find the right trailer for you. be advised, they go fast, so if you find one, be prepared with tow vehicle and purchase price. safe travels and i hope you enjoy your casita as much as i've enjoyed mine.

Hi Claire,

Thank you for the warm welcome and the encouragement!  :D  I've already learned that the Casita's I can actually afford go very fast!  One good thing about aging is that I have learned to be patient and I have faith that the right one will come along.  My budget is very small as I am also upgrading my Toyota RAV4 with 283K miles on it. :rofl2: 

I've been looking at Toyota Hylander Hybrids.  Thus, gotta make my money stretch.  I am certain that you have enjoyed your Casita and look forward to some good times myself.

Sara

#8 cybercuban

cybercuban
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:40 AM

1.  Moulded fiberglass
2.  Casita 16' or 17'
3.  Used and affordable

Midwife- sounds like you had a challenging/interesting profession.  never could get into tenting. My family did it for a short while in Europe and my time in the Army was spent in many a tent out in the boonies.

Up here in the TB/STP area as well as Ocala (The Villages) get a few offerings for used Casitas. The sister forum has them listed in the classifieds.  Currrently there is nice looking one listed from St Pete.

Hi Rick!

Yes . . . midwifery was indeed both challenging and interesting.  With 3 sons to raise, I sort of unintentionally fell into tent camping as I was the 'substitute" father on all their camping trips with the Boy Scouts.  I discovered that I enjoyed it tremendously and perhaps enjoyed it even more than the boys did.  I have been searching for several months now and it has been more of a project of educating myself as to what is available, what the prices are versus the condition.  I'm fairly handy when it comes to some renovations as I have only owned VERY OLD houses and had to learn how to fix things myself.  So . . . I am not discouraged by the prospect of an older model that I would have to improve upon.   Joining the club and the forum is for me a symbolic step in the pursuit of my dream to find a casita, buy it and enjoy it while I still can.   Thank you for your welcome and your encouragement! 

I imagine that your tent camping in "the boonies" was not at all a relaxing and pleasant bonding with nature!  :P

Sara

• Tampa Rick and SouthwestDude like this

#9 cybercuban

cybercuban
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:57 AM

Welcome to the Casita family,

We live in Georgia and have had our Matilda about 2 years and I found it on ebay in TN. I would agree one at the 'right' price will sell quickly so I would decide what years and model you want. You mention 16-17 there are some big differences in the two but what I understand other than one foot of space. Also since you are used to the space a tent provides and sound like you are solo from an expense and ease of towing maybe you start off with a 13' if you can find one at price you think is good.

I would search everywhere you can think of. I know I would type in 'used casita for sale' in the search engine and I was amazed at all the different sites, be careful though some bogus ads and you also may want to plan on driving anywhere in the SE to get what you want. I know that sound worrisome but if you find one you can find someone on this forum or another that knows the story that goes with it and if they are close enough willing to go look at it for you.

You are making two wise choices in my opinion, planning to purchase a Casita and joined this great group of people that have been very helpful along the way.

Good luck with your search,

Steve and Patty

Hi Steve and Patty!

Thank you for the warm welcome!

My criteria for my Casita search is affordability and A WET BATH!  :rofl2:

Every 13' I've found thus far has been lacking a wet bath.  I am a solo camper and don't require much space.  However, since mother nature is unpredictable, you never know when you will be forced indoors.  I've decided that 16 or 17 feet would be a good fit for me.

I can already see that I have indeed joined a great group of people!  It is amazing how many bogus ads I've found on Craig's list!  I've been ripped off more than once in my life and am now as skeptical as they come.  I am learning to use ebay, craig's list, fiberglassrv website, youtube, word-of-mouth etc.

Thank you for the sound advice and the encouragement.  Gotta leave for work!  Have a great day!  :D

Sara

• tweetie2 likes this

#10 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,355 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:22 AM

hi, sara, i found my 2013 13 ft patriot deluxe on craigslist, elderly man had only had it 4 months, never used it. i drove from north tx to houston area quickly to look at it and fell in love. i agree, a full bathroom is ESSENTIAL for me. the only difference between a 13 deluxe and 16 sd is i don't have a permanent side dinette, so they split my galley, which makes it go from 16 to 13ft. i very rarely use a dinette, but can convert my double bed to table/seating for 4 in less than 2 minutes if needed. the 13 has worked great for me, easy to tow, easy to park, 300lbs less dry weight than the 16ft and 600lbs less than a 17ft sd. the PO moved my battery to the tongue which makes it immensely easier to maintain/check as well as safer out there than under my head inside.

i started out feb 1, 2014 towing with my trusty 1995 ford ranger to see if it like this lifestyle. i love it so much i'm now full timing and sold my old truck with 252,000 miles on it and bought a 2015 toyota tacoma V6 SR5 4 by 2 access cab/6 ft bed. it's a good combination, very reliable and safe on the road.

casita will give you a local owner willing to show his/her trailer, if you'd like to see one in person. there are quite a few styles to consider, so decide which one you want, then go from there.

good luck and hope to see/camp with you somewhere down the road. BTW i took early retirement march 26, 2014 after 40 full time years as a RN. i enjoyed my career, but want to see this wonderful country in my casita and with my 14 lb schnoodle dog while i still am physically/mentally able. happy holidays and let us know when you find your trailer.

Edited by clairemr1, 21 December 2015 - 05:51 AM.

• NASA42 B, Tampa Rick, SouthwestDude and 1 other like this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#11 tweetie2

tweetie2
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1998 16" Casita SD
  • Interests:Gardening, antiques, camping, crafts, reading, woodworking, biking
  • Trailer Name:"Baby"

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:15 AM

Welcome Sara,
I just bought a used 16' Casita SD this summer and love it! It has a wet bath, which I wanted for sure. I found it in the classifieds in the Fiberglass Club. And yes, the good ones reasonably priced do go very fast!
I am looking forward to attending some Fiberglass or Casita Rallies this year and maybe will meet you at one of them! I live in MN on a beautiful 80 acre farm...you are welcome to camp here anytime if you're out this way.
Good luck in your searching!
Linda
Central MN

#12 cybercuban

cybercuban
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:45 AM

hi, sara, i found my 2013 13 ft patriot deluxe on craigslist, elderly man had only had it 4 months, never used it. i drove from north tx to houston area quickly to look at it and fell in love. i agree, a full bathroom is ESSENTIAL for me. the only difference between a 13 deluxe and 16 sd is i don't have a permanent side dinette, so they split my galley, which makes it go from 16 to 13ft. i very rarely use a dinette, but can convert my double bed to table/seating for 4 in less than 2 minutes if needed. the 13 has worked great for me, easy to tow, easy to park, 300lbs less dry weight than the 16ft and 600lbs less than a 17ft sd. the PO moved my battery to the tongue which makes it immensely easier to maintain/check as well as safer out there than under my head inside.

i started out feb 1, 2014 towing with my trusty 1995 ford ranger to see if it like this lifestyle. i love it so much i'm now full timing and sold my old truck with 252,000 miles on it and bought a 2015 toyota tacoma V6 SR5 4 by 2 access cab/6 ft bed. it's a good combination, very reliable and safe on the road.

casita will give you a local owner willing to show his/her trailer, if you'd like to see one in person. there are quite a few styles to consider, so decide which one you want, then go from there.

good luck and hope to see/camp with you somewhere down the road. BTW i took early retirement march 26, 2014 after 40 full time years as a RN. i enjoyed my career, but want to see this wonderful country in my casita and with my 14 lb schnoodle dog while i still am physically/mentally able. happy holidays and let us know when you find your trailer.

Hi Claire!

The day I let you know that I found my trailer will be a happy day indeed.  My search involves several states and I realize I may have to travel quite a distance when I find "the one".

I love your short story about your Casita, your tow vehicles, your schnozzle dog and YOU!  Thank you for your lovely and inspiring post! 

Sara  :D

#13 cybercuban

cybercuban
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:05 AM

Welcome Sara,
I just bought a used 16' Casita SD this summer and love it! It has a wet bath, which I wanted for sure. I found it in the classifieds in the Fiberglass Club. And yes, the good ones reasonably priced do go very fast!
I am looking forward to attending some Fiberglass or Casita Rallies this year and maybe will meet you at one of them! I live in MN on a beautiful 80 acre farm...you are welcome to camp here anytime if you're out this way.
Good luck in your searching!
Linda
Central MN

Hi Linda,

wetbathloversRus!  :rofl:

Thank you for your great post and oh my goodness your home sounds dreamy!  I've lived in Florida my whole life - except for 4 years in Asheville, North Carolina.  I moved back to Florida (which I swore I would never do "NEVER SAY NEVER") because of family responsibilities.  I'm really a small town lady by nature and find myself tolerating all the 'cons' of big city life.  Ughh!  :(

I think that if I accepted your kind and generous offer to visit, I would never come back here.  The 4 years in Asheville were absolutely wonderful and I indulged in tent camping at least once a month!  The very idea of attending a "Casita rallie" is on my list of experiences to create while I'm still here.   :D

I'll close by quoting something I recently read and liked very much!

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely

in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out,
shouting "Holy Sxxx!, what a ride!"

• NASA42 B, clairemr1 and tweetie2 like this

#14 MGD

MGD
  • Casita Club Member
  • 236 posts
  • Local time: 04:03 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' FD
  • Interests:Eclectic.
  • Trailer Name:Casitaminophen

Posted 22 December 2015 - 01:13 PM

Sara,

I encourage you to widen your search to include Scamps. All of us here prefer Casitas, but that doesn't mean that Scamps aren't good trailers. They build both 13' and 16' models. They are built in Minnesota, so might be quite rare in your part of the country, but by including Scamps in your list of possibilities, you increase the chance of finding a suitable trailer. There are other brands, but aside from Oliver (very pricey indeed), most will be quite old; rarely newer than the 1980s. A used Casita or Scamp, if well-maintained, should have a lot of miles and nights left in it. A good place to monitor for molded fiberglass trailers for sale is http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com.

Make sure you monitor the classifieds on this site, CasitaForum.com and ScampOwners.com as well. If you find something on sale from these three sites, you are much less likely to be dealing with a scammer, which can easily be the case with CraigsList.

Good luck in your search.

#15 cybercuban

cybercuban
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:19 PM

Sara,

I encourage you to widen your search to include Scamps. All of us here prefer Casitas, but that doesn't mean that Scamps aren't good trailers. They build both 13' and 16' models. They are built in Minnesota, so might be quite rare in your part of the country, but by including Scamps in your list of possibilities, you increase the chance of finding a suitable trailer. There are other brands, but aside from Oliver (very pricey indeed), most will be quite old; rarely newer than the 1980s. A used Casita or Scamp, if well-maintained, should have a lot of miles and nights left in it. A good place to monitor for molded fiberglass trailers for sale is http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com.

Make sure you monitor the classifieds on this site, CasitaForum.com and ScampOwners.com as well. If you find something on sale from these three sites, you are much less likely to be dealing with a scammer, which can easily be the case with CraigsList.

Good luck in your search.

Casitaminophen ???  :lol2:

MGD you really tore me up with this name!  What a fabulous sense of humor.  Of course . . . as a nurse,  I might just have a tiny bias when it comes to medicinal names.   :)

Thank you so very much for your advice,  I am trying to keep an open mind and not limit myself with some kind of rigid OCD choice.    I will definitely factor in your excellent advice and still hope, of course, that my personal preference becomes available!  Thanks again!

Sara

• NASA42 B and MGD like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Florida