debbwa
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Local time: 05:25 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:'98 SD 16'
  • Trailer Name:Gypsy III

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:33 AM

Hi Casitaites!

Writing to introduce myself.  I am a recent new owner of a 1998 16' SD, which I got for camping and for work.  I live in Orlando and travel to Atlanta for 2 weeks at a time to work.

I've previously had the pleasure of owning a Vanagon Westy and a Eurovan camper - wanted to try a trailer this time so I can leave it behind to drive around town and don't have to keep converting it back and forth between camping mode and driving mode.  I'm pulling it with a 4 cyl. Subaru Outback.

Currently I'm working on making improvements to make it safe to leave my dog and cat in while I'm at work.  I don't know if I'll be able to get it to a point where I really feel it's safe.  If not, I just won't be able to use it to live in when I travel for work - but it would sure be convenient and cost-effective if I could!

I'm adding a nanny cam so I can check in from my phone to see how they are doing - got a wifi hotspot for that in case I'm camping without campground wifi.  Looking into getting a screen room for extra room to spread out, and as a buffer to make sure my cat doesn't get out when I open the camper door.  My main concern is temperature control.  I'm paranoid about either the power going out or the air conditioner breaking down while I am away.  Would like to somehow rig a back-up power supply that kicks in if house power goes down - solar would be great but I don't think it will run the AC unit (have a side-wall unit).  Was going to buy a new unit with a heat strip and replace the old one, but after looking through the forum archives it looks like a bigger job than I want to tackle right now.  So, I'm looking into space heaters that won't catch the place on fire when I'm away.

Well, that's where I'm at.  I have specific questions about each of my projects that I will post in the appropriate forums.  It's nice to be a member of this group, and hope I can add some wisdom from my life and camper experiences in the future.

deb

#2 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 523 posts
  • Local time: 06:25 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service, and my rescue cat named "Alley" at home...
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:43 AM

Deb.....

Welcome to the Casita family! 

Frank  :rolleyes:

• debbwa likes this

#3 The Goose Egg

The Goose Egg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 391 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:58 AM

deb,

I have the same worries about the ac or power going out while we are away.  

If you get the nanny cam, how about placing it where you could  also see a large dial thermometer.

That way you could at least know when to go rescue the pets.

Angie

Edited by The Goose Egg, 27 October 2015 - 05:30 AM.

Goose's Egg, AKA The Bear Necessities
Pictures of: Casita, Quilt, Bear & Vacation Photos

#4 debbwa

debbwa
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:56 AM

Hi Angie

The thermometer is a good idea, but my ability to leave work to go rescue the pets is practically non-existent.  But a view of the thermometer might at least give me some peace of mind, and it's less expensive than getting a wifi security system with an alarm and remote thermostat control.

deb

#5 graham

graham
  • Casita Club Member
  • 52 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Liberty
  • Interests:Reading, gardening, yoga, massage, cycling, hiking

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:17 PM

If you have the fan on top it can be set to come on at a temperature that could keep the pets safe.  Can you park in the shade?   Do you have a battery?   A good battery and charger should give you a number of hours of run time on the fan if the AC power goes out.

Graham

• debbwa likes this

#6 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,013 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 17' SD
  • Interests:Travel, photography

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:30 PM

If your animals are crate trained that will take some of the stress about safety out of the equation. I would be really hesitant about a space heater and animal hairs. You're correct solar power will not run the AC (or a space heater) but it will keep the battery up. If you had a furnace the fan for that would run off the 12v battery. I've left my 2 dogs in the trailer many times in the cold with the furnace set to come on at a certain temp. Works great. 

Some campgrounds do have wifi, but often it is either available only in certain areas or the bandwidth is so narrow that if folks are doing big downloads or streaming stuff it is useless. In such cases I use my cellphone as a hotspot so your wifi hotspot is a good idea. 

Jean
2000 SD 17'
2011 Silverado w/Prodigy BC
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much (and take lots of photos along the way)
www.jeanclarkphotography.com
www.borderbrae.wordpress.com

#7 stratos175

stratos175
  • Casita Club Member
  • 212 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit
  • Interests:hiking, kayaking, disc golf and spending time in in our Casita.
  • Trailer Name:Matilda

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:32 AM

Hello,

First we really like what you've done with the decals and will probably be looking to do the same, especially ion the bathroom.

We live in North Fulton so not far from parts of Atlanta, where did you plan on camping while here? There are some nice state parks you can camp in just south of downtown and also some north but I would say traffic tougher that direction especially when the new stadium opens, Well that is really the problem in Atlanta no matter what direction you go there is traffic thmbup .

I really think someone breaking in depends on where you camp and since you did not mention your plan for that as mentioned above I do think a state park would be safe. If you don't have that decided yet maybe you put an add on Craigslist and see if you can find someone that would allow you to park on their property, I have friends that live in the little Five Points area that might consider that, not sure neighbors would care because it is not permanent and an eclectic style area. 

As far as you family members they aren't like us and cold does not effect them the same and really think unless it got below freezing they would be fine in the camper and yes that does happen here but not to often and even then I think if you are parked in direct sunlight it would be warm enough for them 95% of the time.

We are happy to help since we live here.

All the best,

Steve and Patty

#8 debbwa

debbwa
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:53 AM

Hello,

First we really like what you've done with the decals and will probably be looking to do the same, especially ion the bathroom.

We live in North Fulton so not far from parts of Atlanta, where did you plan on camping while here? There are some nice state parks you can camp in just south of downtown and also some north but I would say traffic tougher that direction especially when the new stadium opens, Well that is really the problem in Atlanta no matter what direction you go there is traffic thmbup .

I really think someone breaking in depends on where you camp and since you did not mention your plan for that as mentioned above I do think a state park would be safe. If you don't have that decided yet maybe you put an add on Craigslist and see if you can find someone that would allow you to park on their property, I have friends that live in the little Five Points area that might consider that, not sure neighbors would care because it is not permanent and an eclectic style area. 

As far as you family members they aren't like us and cold does not effect them the same and really think unless it got below freezing they would be fine in the camper and yes that does happen here but not to often and even then I think if you are parked in direct sunlight it would be warm enough for them 95% of the time.

We are happy to help since we live here.

All the best,

Steve and Patty

Thanks Steve and Patty!

I am very familiar with Atlanta, lived there in the late '80s and again the past 5 years before moving back to Orlando.  I bought my Casita in Decatur!

I'm worried more about the heat in summer than the cold.  When I come up I work on a TV show that shoots in Conyers.  I've plastered flyers around the sound stages looking for crew members who would let me camp on their property, that hasn't worked out so far.  I can camp at the International Horse Park, which is 10 minutes from work, I just have to work out a plan for the hot weather.  I work 13+ hour days.

Regarding the decals, Ikea has them (and others) in the artwork section of the store.  I have seen them in the Atlanta Ikea.

deb

#9 C.FiberglassFreedom

C.FiberglassFreedom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 253 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD, 17

Posted 03 December 2015 - 03:29 PM

Always nice to see more Florida people.  Largo FL here.   Welcome!  :dncinban:

Edited by C.FiberglassFreedom, 03 December 2015 - 03:29 PM.

• debbwa likes this