54 replies to this topic

#46 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,319 posts
  • Local time: 07:32 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 09 October 2015 - 05:48 PM

Holy cow. Thank you, Flcoxjr, for the link to the Diagnostic Service Manual. I had no idea this existed. I wish we'd had it before we started dinking around with the refrigerator, it would have been so helpful. When we got the packet full of literature from casita, the only documentation we were given was the installation manual which is of no help whatsoever, and it had a LITTLE bit of info. But it doesn't always look right. For instance, on pg 22 of the installation manual we were given, there is a picture of the propane assembly that bears no resemblance to the one in our 2454. For instance, it shows the ignitor to be on the left of the assembly whereas ours is tucked in underneath the flue, where you can't get at it. I've wondered often how some folks say just clean the ignitor. We can't get at ours without dismantling a bunch of stuff.

The repair place I went to in Rochester,WA was not an 'official' approved service center, but they said they work on Dometics 'all the time'. I believe them, but still...........they didn't fix it, and now I know I can throw parts at it just as capably as they could and for a lot less labor cost.

We have a rain front moving in, thank goodness, although several years ago the usual Columbus Day storm blew out all the lights for a week or so...so I might be camping in my backyard! Still, the rain is welcome. I feel sorry for the folks in SC, but I sure wish...actually the whole West Coast..wishes we'd get some of that rain. We need it so very badly. Anyone who is familiar with Mt. Rainier (but hasn't been near it lately) will be aghast to hear that if you have boots on you can walk across Rimrock Lake. That's scary.

So we might not get to the camper to fix it. That's okay, we're still pulling to go camping on Monday. We're going to Sequim and it is famous for being in the 'rain shadow'. And, before you ask  I don't want y'all to sound like a bunch of touristas..Sequim is pronounced "Squim". Or, to the locals, "squirm"...;-)

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"I saw what you did."-Karma

#47 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Local time: 08:32 AM
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 10 October 2015 - 04:49 PM

I got a 404 on the Diagnostic Service Manual. ???

"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#48 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 150 posts
  • Local time: 11:32 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:46 PM

Here it is again

http://www.nancyemme...ratorManual.pdf

If there is still a problem just Google Dometic RM2454 Diagnostic Service Manual

Edit: Just checked & the link is still not working. Not sure why. Google the above and the result you want starts with www.nancyemmert

Edited by flcoxjr, 10 October 2015 - 08:55 PM.

#49 jwpark

jwpark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 169 posts
  • Local time: 10:32 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2012 16ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:canoeing, kayaking, camping, web design

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:59 AM

Here it is again

http://www.nancyemme...ratorManual.pdf

If there is still a problem just Google Dometic RM2454 Diagnostic Service Manual

Edit: Just checked & the link is still not working. Not sure why. Google the above and the result you want starts with www.nancyemmert

I just tried the link and it's working for me. The server must have been down for some reason.

jwpark

#50 jamija

jamija
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 17 SD Due 3-11-16
  • Interests:Fishing,boating,dogs,coffee under the awning with donuts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:03 PM

Meadowlark,

Any updates on the Fridge? Hope its working

Mike and Janice Garry

17 SD

#51 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,319 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:56 PM

Hello, Jamija,

I received and responded to your PM. My apologies for not responding sooner. It stopped raining for a couple days and we're getting the homestead tidied up for winter. And sometimes I just take a break from the PC.

Once we realized that the thermocouple had never been installed, we decide to call it a day, or at least a winter. We put the Egg into winter quarters. We have some other things to repair/replace as well...the gray water T valve is not sealing tightly, so we'll replace both the gray and the black this winter, install some vents in the bathroom and closet doors, etc.

• jamija likes this

#52 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Local time: 11:32 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:Cycling, hiking, paddling, history

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:12 AM

We had this problem, and, it turned out that it WAS the battery.  Worked fine on propane until we turned on ANY other appliance like the Fantastic Fan or the water pump.  New battery-no further problems.

• Wally Z likes this

#53 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:30 AM

What we did was have the FAN replaced. Believe it or not, it fixed the issue. The fan would run but apparently not well enough to cool the fridge.

#54 Steamboat

Steamboat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 188 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 17' ID
  • Trailer Name:Steamboat

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:37 PM

Plainsman, I worked for a German company that marked up their true freight costs 300%...even when they shipped to our own branches! We begged them to stop doing that but they wouldn't. Finally, we convinced enough distributors to specify a certain carrier so they would get billed directly...and the company finally relented...still marked up the freight by at least 20%...go figure.

Karl & Norma with Scout "The Wonder Dog"

2013 Honda Pilot AWD - EX-L

#55 Joe Romas

Joe Romas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 247 posts
  • Local time: 08:32 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD
  • Interests:Hobbies are machining, doing "mods" to my Casita, camping and keeping busy.

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:15 AM

New propane tanks are filled with air before shipping, could be as much as 100 psi. 

Not always! The Worthington cylinders I bought at Sam's Club for $29 with level gauges came "purged".

Joe and Mary Romas
Columbus, OH
1999 Casita 17' SD
2017 GMC Seirra