• Casita Club Member
  • 226 posts
  • Local time: 04:57 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' FD
  • Interests:Eclectic.
  • Trailer Name:Casitaminophen

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:53 PM

Meadowlark,

I want to address the tank purging issue.

Many new tanks come pre-purged, meaning that they have been evacuated. The two 20lb tanks I purchased at Costco (less than $30 each) did not require purging.

Rather than dump a full tank of propane, I suggest that you go to Costco, Sam's Club, Home Depot/Lowes, Ace/TrueValue/Murdochs, or wherever you choose and just buy a new tank. If it says purging is NOT required, you MUST resist the temptation to open the valve, or you will introduce air into the tank. If it is not prepurged, just ask the propane attendant to do so. It's an easy process; they will charge you a bit for doing it since they waste a small amount of propane in the purging process.

I'm somewhat skeptical that your problem is a result of not purging the tank, although it's possible. Since you have replaced the regulator, it seems much more likely that the orifice needs to be cleaned. How to do that has been covered repeatedly on this as well as the other forum.

#32 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 2,998 posts
  • Local time: 03:57 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:27 PM

Meadowlark,

So my patient spouse put everything back together, turned on the propane and said the fridge fired right up and the clicking sounds louder and fuller.

We will run the thing all night. In the past it has shut down about twelve hours, give or take, from first firing up, so. we will see.

And I'll report tomorrow on whether the fridge is working or not.

Sounds very encouraging.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#33 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 2,998 posts
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:08 PM

Isn't it interesting how snooty people can get over something they had absolutely nothing to do with? The Daughters of the Confederacy and the DAR are twins separated at birth. 

While researching my ancestry, I came across a book that mentioned my paternal grandparents.  I discovered that my grandmother's family arrived in America in 1700 and settled in Virginia.  Her ancestors fought in every war that came along over the ages - so I would probably qualify for both of those organizations.  I find the family history very interesting and the history of those times mean more to me now.  But I don't understand how anyone could use the sacrifices and hardships their ancestors endured hundreds of years ago to gain some kind of undeserved status for themselves.  

• clover, Meadowlark, nasa42a and 1 other like this
Carol Christensen

#34 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,376 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:30 AM

I agree, Carol. I feel sorry for folks who have such narrow, xenophobic lives that all they have to boast about is their ancestors. What is the old saying? "It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness." I take people for what each person is and how they treat others.  What their color, background, social and economic status is merely cosmetic.

I really have no idea what my father's other half was...rumor was that my grandfather was ''half Indian' and the other half, no one knows. We do know he was wounded in France in WW1, returned to Canada, emigrated to the US only to die in the Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918, right after my father was conceieved.

• Carol Christensen likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"No matter how old I am, I'm always going to want a pony for Christmas."

#35 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,376 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:27 PM

We've had the fridge running for about 48 hours now, without any sign of a shut down/failure to re-light. Today we turned on the propane furnace, just to see if running two things on propane will make it fault out as it's done now and then in the past. If that works, I'll fill the water tanks, turn on the hot water and see if THAT makes it shut down.

So far we're not saying it's been solved  just yet. This fridge has always been on again, off again in it's operation and I'm merely waiting for another failure.  But a part of me is beginning to think the problem was two fold, not just one: the junk terminal in the fridge innards, and a bad propane regulator. If it still doesn't work I'll just go back to using the fridge as an installed cooler, without even bothering to fire it up. That's worked before. Coolers (the portable kind) are still reliable, use no energy (other than that of the making of ice) and are portable. Besides, if you can find fuel, you will always find ice.

Can't wait to get back to camping. It's still nice enough to do a few more trips before we tuck Grus Egg into bed for the winter.

• nasa42a likes this

#36 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:53 PM

Sounds very encouraging.  Would I jinx things if I were to uncross by fingers now.  Very difficult to type with crossed fingers. :rolleyes:

• Meadowlark likes this
Carol Christensen

#37 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Local time: 04:57 AM
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:57 PM

We can send a man to the moon, but we can't design and produce bullet-proof RV fridges and furnaces?

• Meadowlark likes this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#38 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:58 PM

Only because I respect Eric's admonition to not use bad language am I not cussing. Within two hours of turning the propane furnace on, the fridge stopped working. thmbup

Arggh. My spouse wonders if there's a way to adjust the spark. There's a set screw but how to 'set' it? Only because I will probably be forced to sell the egg one of these days do I not rip that POS Dometic out by the roots. (if it has roots). I hear you in the background, Harold, I'm going to call that Ford place tomorrow. If I have to sell it someday (I hope that day is a long ways down the road, but we all know how life can throw curve balls) I will NOT sell it without telling the prospective buyer that the fridge doesn't work. I know how I feel, having urchased a lemon-I don't do that to others.

I don't believe in possession but I am convinced this durned thing is jinxed, so your fingers had nothing to do with it, Carol.

#39 Southern Comfort

Southern Comfort
  • Casita Club Member
  • 350 posts
  • Local time: 07:57 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 Spirit
  • Interests:cooking,golf,fishing,hiking,

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:57 AM

There is a correct gap for the ignitor . Download the manual. You will have to remove the cover to the burner. When you do. try and light it manualy when it is trying to relight itself.  If it won't light, then no gas. No gas? Solenoid not opening. Is solenoid getting voltage when called for? No voltage? My guess is , bad control board. In my furnace it is called an ignition module. The fact that it lights whenyou first turn it on ,makes me thing that is not a spark problem. Take some fine steel wool and clean the tip of the flame sensor while your in there. The flame sensor works like a thermocouple. Putting a man on the moon cost a lot of money. Anybody's guess what a bullet proof fridge would cost.

• Meadowlark likes this

#40 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:34 PM

We didn't open up the cover to the burner as it must have a screw we can't find or reach. Nevertheless we could see it. It lit after four clicks and is presently working. The flame was a low blue flame, with only a single 'flare up' while I was watching. I'm not sure if the solenoid or the control board are the problems. (I am assuming you mean the circuit board, not the board on the front of the fridge). The gas seems to flow fine. We replaced both solenoid and circuit board when we first started having issues with the fridge. True we've not put a multimeter on it but the solenoid seems to be working.

#41 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 540 posts
  • Local time: 05:57 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:16 PM

Have you tested just the fridge on propane for a long extended period of time ( days, or preferably weeks ), without turning on or off any other 12 volt device? Like the furnace, lights, fans, any 12 volts device? I'm wondering if the fridge would work fine by itselt? I say this incase something is creating electrical noise on the 12 volt line which might affect the circuit board in the fridge. If electrical noise is present, then the converter might be in the picture as it should be filtering to produce a nice 12 volt DC voltage. If it were me at this point, while testing the fridge with no other appliances in use, I would measure for AC voltage on the + and - posts on the converter. I would expect to see 0 volts AC on a DC circuit. If some low AC voltage is read, say 0.7 volts AC, that may need to be investigated.  

Mark Watson

Houston,Tx
2008 17' FD

#42 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:53 PM

We have run it up to 48 hours on propane without turning on another device. I'm wondering, though, if you mean I should also go and unplug it from shore power. The fridge does seem to work all on it's lone but, as was repeated yesterday, within a few hours of turning on the furnace, the fridge had stopped trying to re-light and showed the 'check' light.

Today we opened the gas inlet valve to see if there was anything occluding it. One "expert' on a different website (not a Casita one, an RV one) mentioned that there would be a sponge filter in it, but we didn't see anything in it.

When you say 'noise' do you mean VSWR? I am not an electrician but do know a little about it, (probably just enough to be dangerous) but I thought 'noise' was only in AC. However, my husband used to repair televisions (back when they were CRT, had tubes rather than transistors, and were heavy as sin) and is familiar with what you are proposing.

#43 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 540 posts
  • Local time: 05:57 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:18 AM

I would hook up to shore power for the long duration fridge test. Keep everything else off. If it doesn't fail say for a couple of weeks that would tell us something. Since we know there was a failure after the furnace was turned on I would keep the furnace off during the test. The failure after turning the furnace on is noteworthy because a future question to answer is does the fridge fail every time the furnace is used? Also if something other than the furnace is tuned on like water pump, fans, lights, etc, does the fridge fail using those items? But I think first and most importantly we need to determine does the fridge fail when it's the only thing turned on?

By noise I mean the ability of electrical components responsible for converting an AC voltage into a DC voltage. This is usually accomplished by a rectifier and capacitors. If a capacitor is flaky ti could result in something other than a nice stable and level 12 volt voltage level. 

Mark Watson

Houston,Tx
2008 17' FD

#44 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:42 AM

we've checked the electrical system and it seems fine. We have run the fridge on shore power for extended periods of time, admittedly not weeks, but several days. Yesterday I turned it back on, it was the only thing on propane. Everything else is shut off. This morning I checked and it had stopped working, the 'check' light is on. So in this case I will say yes it fails when it's the only thing turned on.

I know I sound like an idiot, but this intermittent stuff is driving us around the bend. It's always a "sometimes". It ran like a champ on propane the four days we were at Page Springs, on solar power. We ran the furnace for a while without it making the fridge shut down, but I will admit that the furnace was only on long enough for it to warm up the camper so that I could get out of bed to get dressed. That's the first and last time the fridge ran that long, without shutting down completely. We heard it click and relight two or three times. That's what started this whole thing, we realized that it COULD be a good working fridge but only under absolutely specific conditions and we don't have any idea what they are now. Trying to reproduce the conditions resulted in the same ol' shut down.

We'll check the rectifier voltage. I must tell you folks that next week we'll be camping so I won't be in wi-fi range. We're going with coolers and ice. If the fridge doesn't work, so be it. By now, having thrown time, money and parts at it without success, the fridge is, to me, nothing more than a handy storage cabinet for foods that don't need refrigeration. In fact, putting brick of ice in works just as good as a cooler and I don't waste propane. 

Edited by Meadowlark, 09 October 2015 - 08:43 AM.

#45 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 154 posts
  • Local time: 06:57 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:26 AM

I know this is frustrating and I wish I had the knowledge to help. Maybe the following links to PDFs documents will be useful to someone out there that knows more than I do.

Installation and Operating Instructions
http://www2.dometic....283f3ebf5.fodoc

Diagnostic Service Manual
http://www.nancyemme...ratorManual.pdf

Also, here is a link to a site to locate Dometic approved service centers. I don't know if the repair place you went to before was approved by Dometic.
http://www.dometic.c...ervice-Locator/
  • Meadowlark likes this