54 replies to this topic

#16 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,319 posts
  • Local time: 07:33 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:39 AM

Wow, Carol, that is good info (the link to the ourging website). I can tell you our tanks were not purged, at least not by Casita or by the LP guy. I guess its time to find a local place that does it. Shoot as long as we're shoveling money out to fix this might as well replace the tanks. Not a happy camper, me.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"I saw what you did."-Karma

#17 PerfectCasita

PerfectCasita
  • After-Market Product Supplier
  • 413 posts
  • Local time: 10:33 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:None

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:25 AM

There are over 10,000 members on this forum.

Maybe 1000 active members.

If we all threw $1 at this problem you would have a new fridge and new tanks.

(and a large box of chocolates or bottle of wine or whatever your vice-du-jour is)

Anybody up for it?

--Jim

• Meadowlark and nasa42a like this
Orbital Machine Works online store
http://www.perfectcasita.com

#18 watraveler

watraveler
  • Casita Club Member
  • 380 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Sprit Deluxe
  • Interests:Vintage postcard collecting, antiques, fly fishing, camping, photography.

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:21 AM

Just a suggestion, but before replacing your propane tanks or purging and refilling, try using a trusted propane tank, like from your backyard bbq or one of your neighbors.

• Carol Christensen likes this

#19 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 2,970 posts
  • Local time: 08:33 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 03 October 2015 - 11:35 AM

Just a suggestion, but before replacing your propane tanks or purging and refilling, try using a trusted propane tank, like from your backyard bbq or one of your neighbors.

I think this would be a very good test.  Of course, it would have to be a cylinder that was known to have been purged.

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#20 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,319 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 03 October 2015 - 03:03 PM

Oh, Jim, don't do that to me...if I got all that money I couldn't bear to spend it on myself...I'd have to have a Casita BBQ somewhere here in the PNW.

But the chocolate DOES sound tempting... ^_^

As for using a trusted propane tank, the thought hits me, we've had similar issues with our Weber gas grill. We've changed out the hose to no avail. I'll be darned.

But everything else in the camper, propane wise, works just fine. Sigh.

Well now this issue with the fridge  has my German up. I'm going to keep dinking around with it until it kills me.

#21 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 2,970 posts
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:29 PM

Everything else may seem to work just fine BUT does that mean they are working as well as they should?  A furnace, stovetop or BBQ may still be able to operate on contaminated or diluted propane just not as efficiently.  The Fickle Fridge may be fussier.

From the Purging link: "Air in the tank can cause your propane to have much less heat per gallon, or BTUs."

The purging article doesn't say all propane appliances will stop working - so please, tell your German, whoever he is, to relax. :rolleyes:

Deep breaths may help.

Carol Christensen

#22 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:50 AM

I'M the German....(just one quarter of the other three nationalities that make me the mongrel I am).  Well, we will continue. Your point regarding the decrease in furnace/hot water heater/stove top efficiency does make sense. Deep breathing doesn't do it for me...a good dose of Bailey's Irish Cream (in my hot cocoa!) does that trick ^_^

#23 Southern Comfort

Southern Comfort
  • Casita Club Member
  • 350 posts
  • Local time: 11:33 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 Spirit
  • Interests:cooking,golf,fishing,hiking,

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:35 AM

Well, don't get mad, get somebody that knows what they are doing. If it is strictly a gas operation problem and it works fine on A.C., Any HVAC experienced guy could diagnose what is wrong with it. The operation of that fridge on gas is no different than the nat gas furnace in my house. I would not suffer with my furnace not working. When I say it is no different, I mean the operaton of the burner. If it is sparking,( trying to light) I would say your thermistor is good. Not trying to be a smart A#$@ but not being Catholic, I don't believe in demonic possesion.

Edited by Southern Comfort, 04 October 2015 - 12:09 PM.

• Meadowlark likes this

#24 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 01:06 PM

I'm not mad, SC. I'm a biologist, not a HVAC tech. I don't believe in demonic possession, either,  but I have to tell you I've run into 'things'...cars, saddles, tools...that seem to be possessed by something malevolent. Unlike people, though, a 'bad' car can be junked, a tool can be melted down, a saddle can dry rot on the  wall of a steak house restaurant. I have to have my furnace checked anyway, maybe I'll have the HVAC guy do a run check on the fridge as well. Maybe I can even convince him to buy a Casita, although a malfunctioning refrigerator isn't the best of sales points...

#25 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 01:44 PM

I'M the German....(just one quarter of the other three nationalities that make me the mongrel I am).  Well, we will continue. Your point regarding the decrease in furnace/hot water heater/stove top efficiency does make sense. Deep breathing doesn't do it for me...a good dose of Bailey's Irish Cream (in my hot cocoa!) does that trick ^_^

You could have meant your German Shepherd or your German pool boy. ;)  Before I became obsessed with genealogy, I thought I was 1/2 German but history changed that to 1/2 French plus some other nationalities.  I like your choice of relaxation therapy, Bailey's Irish Cream & hot cocoa - I think I'll join you a little later in the day.

• Meadowlark likes this
Carol Christensen

#26 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:08 PM

Bring your nocs, Carol..we have bird feeders/baths in the backyard as well as barn owl boxes and purple martin gourds. The latter have left for Central America but we hear the barn owls all the time. Did I mention "our" many raptors? And we are serenaded by song dogs (coyotes) almost every night.

As for backgrounds: my first husband was from a family that came over on the Mayflower. Snooty? Oh my god. I met his grandmother, once. They were VeWy Well Connected People from Egg Harbor New Jersey. She told me all about her blue blooded lineage...DAR, etc..and finally came around to asking 'my background'. By this time I had had enough and so answered, well, my mother is half German, half Polish, my father is half French-Canadian and we THINK there is some Indian in there, too.

"Oh my god, Jerome" she shrieked, "he's married a MUTT."

I should have bitten her on the leg.  Woof.

Edited by Meadowlark, 04 October 2015 - 06:14 PM.

• Carol Christensen and nasa42a like this

#27 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:38 PM

Isn't it interesting how snooty people can get over something they had absolutely nothing to do with? The Daughters of the Confederacy and the DAR are twins separated at birth. 

• Carol Christensen and Meadowlark like this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#28 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:43 PM

Chapter leventyseven of the Mystery of the Fickle Dometic refrigerator.

Talk about rubbing salt in one's wounds.

We FINALLY received the terminal block I've mentioned. It arrived UPS, well over a week after we ordered it direct from Dometic.

It cost $12.00

It weighs one half of an ounce.

Dometic charged us FIFTEEN DOLLARS to ship it UPS in an envelope no bigger than the palm of your hand.

YES.

This thing was designed by oh, the guy who mows the lawn for Dometic and the RV industry. Or perhaps the guy who designed the wiring for the refrigerator owns stock in the mysterious company that created it. We cannot fathom why they used such a cheaply made, poorly designed and even more poorly performing piece of junk. Certainly anyone with any experience not much higher than plugging an electric plug into an outlet would have used a better terminal.

One is supposed to shove a large gauge wire AND a small gauge wire (which goes either to the control panel or the fan, we're not sure which), then screw down until the screw makes contact with the wire. Problem is, by putting pressure on the large wire, the thin wire is forced out of contact with the junky POS metal contact inside the terminal block. Putting that sort of pressure (relatively speaking) also breaks the metal contact itself.

We realize now a fifteen cent automotive wire bugnut...those plastic yellow (or whatever color that corresponds to the wire guage ) caps that one screws onto the end of the wire, that work and are ubiquitous throughout the electric industry-would have worked just as well, indeed, probably better.

So my patient spouse put everything back together, turned on the propane and said the fridge fired right up and the clicking sounds louder and fuller.

We will run the thing all night. In the past it has shut down about twelve hours, give or take, from first firing up, so. we will see.

He also found a company that sells them that isn't Dometic. It's called Appliancezone.com

They had the terminal block for about 11 cents cheaper but their shipping charge is only six bucks.  Which even that is crazy bad...sending it through the post office would cost at most about a buck and a half.

I am going to post photos of the Dometic terminal block. I will also attempt to attach a jpg of the parts list for our specific refrigerator model RM 2454. That is NOT in the manual we were given when we bought the Casita, instead it was sent to us by Dometic.

The part number is :

Kit, SVC Terminal Block/WIre

SKU: 9108709304

MFG. No 3858022019

We can't find who the manufacturer is by their number. It tells me it's Chinese, meaning if I go to Alibaba I'll probably find it for sale for two cents, but I would rather not deal with the Chinese.

I can't figure out how to attach the parts list (it's 14 pages). Meaning not so hot for printing off, but for viewing online it will do. If anyone wants the list, give me a shout and I'll attach it (or attempt to) in a PM.

And I'll report tomorrow on whether the fridge is working or not.

Attached Thumbnails

• Terminal block top side.jpg
  • Terminal block side.jpg

Edited by Meadowlark, 05 October 2015 - 03:45 PM.

#29 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:01 PM

Good grief, what a rip. I hope you share your post, as is, with the nice folks at Dometic. At the very least, outfits that make their S&H costs a profit center should be outed loud and clear. I hope you've found a long-term solution.

• MGD likes this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#30 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:47 PM

We're working on it, sir. I don't like being ripped off. I've learned that squeaky wheels get paid attention to. We don't expect to be compensated for a lousy refrigerator but one of the things I am attempting to do here on CC is to let everyone else know what we did to fix the problem. I intend to write a letter to Dometic but don't expect any sort of answer. However, there is BBB, and Yelp. The nasty thing about Yelp is they sell your address to everybody, something they don't want you to know and emphatically deny.

However...the one or two times I used Yelp, instead of my name, I put several initials in front of my last name, i.e. ABCMeadowlark. It was scary when a year later I received my credit report from TransUnion (and mind you I had NEVER sent money to Yelp) and there was my name, listed as ABCMeadowlark. Something to think about, indeed.

Something I learned in my own business...which is very small, my boss is a real b!$*%. (I, by the way, am both boss and sole employee). One's reputation in any business is the most valuable asset you have. Word of mouth is more important than advertising. I've gotten more business from recommendations from satisfied and happy clients than any amount of advertising I could have ever done.