Photo

Winter In San Filipe

San Filipe RV parks Mexico insurance boondocking in San Filipe Best beach camping Mexico travel with pets Puerto Penasco

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lorraine in BC

Lorraine in BC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 10:55 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:13' 2008 Trillium Outback
  • Interests:Ocean kayaking, skiing, adventures in tiny trailers, writing, videography, photography, sewing, riding my folding bike, and playing my ukulele.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:00 PM

Hello, I'm from Victoria, BC, Canada so I thought Casita owners who lived closer to Mexico might be able to answer a few of my questions.

We are driving to San Filipe in mid January. 

-Is it easy to find an RV park in January?

-Is it better to be north of town, in town, or south of town.

-Is it possible to Boondock on the beach?

-If I boondock is there anywhere to take showers or fill water tanks, etc?

-Where should I purchase Mexican car insurance- what does it cost? 

-Other then vaccination records do I need to get any special paperwork to bring my small dog with me to Mexico?

Thank you wonderful Casita people!

Cheers, Lorraine 

#2 Leehman Wexlin

Leehman Wexlin
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Local time: 02:55 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit 17
  • Interests:photography, sailing, wood working, music

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:19 PM

Have not been to Mexico. Those are great questions. Any Casita folks camped in Mexico?
Joan Jane Leehman

http://leehman.smugmug.com/

#3 highplainsdrifter

highplainsdrifter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 32 posts
  • Local time: 11:55 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Dlx 17'
  • Interests:Travel, flyfishing, photography, hiking, backpacking, canoeing
  • Trailer Name:Cassie

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:48 PM

Apparently not. I'm hoping to get there in the not too distant future!

#4 TumaloTed

TumaloTed
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 11:55 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 17 Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:2012 Toyota Highlander
    2011 Jayco Eagle 28ft. TT
    2010 Chevy 2500 Silverado
    Member: Good Sam, Escapees, Elks
    Winters spent at jojobohills.com

Posted 24 May 2016 - 06:22 AM

We went there some years ago (5?).  Before you get to town,  there is  "Pete's Place"  or something like that.  Next to a fancy rv/2nd home resort.  Pete's has beach camping with a small covered patio next to the parking places.  No hookups but a dump & water was available if I recall.   They also have a nice restaurant.  Lots of Americans/Canadians have 2nd homes there.  9 hole sand golf course!   Seemed less crowded on the beach than the places we looked at in town,  but then,  you could walk all over town from the in-town rv parks.  The ocean goes WAY out at low tide,  which was cool to watch.  We would go there again,  and you definitely need Mexican liability and comp insurance on your trailer and TV.   In Mexico,  if you have an accident where something or someone is injured,  you go to jail while they figure out what you owe!  Happened to one of our members on a 30 day Fantasy Tour of Baja when he lost control of his motorhome and hit a guy wire that pulled over a power pole.  In jail for 2 nites until they decided he owed $4000 to fix the pole.  His motorhome was damaged and his toad was totaled. 

We had papers for our dog,  but the Mexican border folks just waived us through,  which is not uncommon.  Thinking it is best to see a vet just before you cross the border to be safe.  Don't recall the US border folks asking about dog papers either.  . In Mexico you want to have your i's dotted and your t's crossed!