20 replies to this topic

#1 pseabolt

pseabolt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,724 posts
  • Local time: 11:54 PM
  • Interests:Fishing, Hiking, Boating, Amateur Radio, Computers

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:45 AM

We 3800 miles and 3 weeks into a trip out west, I thought I would share some obeservation. We usually drive 300-400 miles, eat on the road, set up camp, cook on the grill or Cobb, and go out for a few evening meals. Out west is much different, fast food for breakfast is few and far between, we ended up eating more in the Casita than we had planned.

We ate a lot of precooked bacon, I place the bacon on 4 paper tows folded to fit our microwave with two on top to absorbe the grease. We carry small and large paper bowls. Cut a small amount of onion in a large paper bowel, stir two or three eggs well and microwave a couple of minutes. Stir, and microwave again. Add cheese and microwave again. Our favorite is Krusteaz frozen Belgian waffles topped with Dole fruit cups.

Do you guys have any meal ideals that don't require washing dishes?
  • Tampa Rick likes this
Pete & Dee
N4KHQ & N4KHO
2004 Casita SD 17'
Home Page
Posted Image

#2 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 367 posts
  • Local time: 10:54 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:03 PM

My advice is to dial your travels back to 300 miles per day and spend the time preparing fresh, nutritious meals. We eat very well when camped and you'd be surprised at what you can cook with the right implements.

Watching the people around me grow old, I have determined that you either spend your money on healthy food and activity now or on accessing healthcare in the future. The former is much less expensive and you'll get to do everything you want to do with a smile on your face and a giddyup in your step!

Edited by Hot Toddy, 17 September 2015 - 12:04 PM.

• Dutchman, oregonlavender, Tampa Rick and 1 other like this

#3 K&C

K&C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 159 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2009 FD 17"
  • Interests:Traveling, Wildlife Photography, Hiking, Gardening,Pets,Hunting,Mother Nature, Kayaking

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:21 PM

We like to be set up by 1400 hrs (2 pm).  We cook all of our meals, I know what's in it and who has touched it.  Excuse the OCD.  Dinner and Supper include one meat a veggie and salad, maybe a piece of whole grain bread.  Breakfast is usually soup or eggs with ham with coffee.  We travel with a grill for outdoors and the usual microwave plus and outdoor cook station.  Keeping it simple and pain free.  Most of the time we use disposable paper plates and plastic ware unless a steak is going to be involved.  I have discovered there will always be something to wash.  Happy Travels.

• Tampa Rick likes this
Kenny & Carmen
2013 24' Keystone Passport 2010 GMC Sierra 4x4
Real County, Texas Hill Country (couldn't leave this helpful site)

#4 jimiller5

jimiller5
  • Casita Club Member
  • 116 posts
  • Local time: 07:54 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 SD
  • Interests:Old Time String Band music, hammered and mountain dulcimer
  • Trailer Name:Camptown

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:49 PM

On our recent trip out west we ate a lot of oatmeal for breakfast, lunch was sandwiches and chips, and supper was usually cooked over charcoal on a Weber grill. We would would cut up veggies, including potatoes, peppers, onions and corn, then wrap them in foil to go on the grill. After they had cooked about a half hour, we would put either pork, chicken or brats on and cook that. Any leftover meat made great sandwiches or burritos the next day.
  • sandyb12 and Tampa Rick like this

#5 Southern Comfort

Southern Comfort
  • Casita Club Member
  • 350 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 Spirit
  • Interests:cooking,golf,fishing,hiking,

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:19 PM

Yep, eggs in the micro. Done that. Hard boil em and slice to make a sandwish with mustard and mayo, easy. Peanut butter and jelly sandwish with my coffee is good and easy, add an apple or banana, sometimes a cup of yogurt. Fruit cups, apple sauce, granola bars and such are all things that travel well. I never whip out the skillet for breakfast. I carry instant oatmeal and grits. Just boil water.Point is , I never whip out the skillet for breakfast. I have a cuiseart panni-griddle that cooks great but I don't use it for breakfast. I set it up outside. I roll up just about anything and everything in tortillias and put them in the press when I use it. If my colesterol starts to run low, you are never too far away from a Waffle House. I spend my cooking energy on dinner and use a grill and the campfire alot

Edited by Southern Comfort, 18 September 2015 - 03:40 AM.

#6 Tampa Rick

Tampa Rick
  • Casita Club Member
  • 125 posts
  • Local time: 04:54 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:00

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:49 PM

One of the things I like about traveling and camping with a Casita is that I don't have to eat out and that I'm pretty self sufficient with every meal of the day. Trust me, I'd love to eat out every meal, but I'd probably be 30 lbs bigger.  I enjoy having salads and fruit and I'm constantly stopping at the grocery stores during travel to pick up fixings.  Breakfasts can be very easy with eggbeaters/tortillas, maybe some refried beans - as long as I have propane and a properly operating fridge, I'm happy.  Tortilla wraps are easy to put together for lunch.  So happy that I've been able to keep the wt down- actually lost 15 lbs since leaving the military.  

I'm not using water from the tank but always used bottled h20 for cooking, drinking.  I've have added a very lightwt convection oven to the Casita for toasting, baking, heating/warming....very useful for frozen stuff (waffles, garlic bread for instance).

Edited by Tampa Rick, 17 September 2015 - 01:56 PM.

• sandyb12 likes this

#7 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,210 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:45 AM

We 3800 miles and 3 weeks into a trip out west, I thought I would share some obeservation. We usually drive 300-400 miles, eat on the road, set up camp, cook on the grill or Cobb, and go out for a few evening meals. Out west is much different, fast food for breakfast is few and far between, we ended up eating more in the Casita than we had planned.

We ate a lot of precooked bacon, I place the bacon on 4 paper tows folded to fit our microwave with two on top to absorbe the grease. We carry small and large paper bowls. Cut a small amount of onion in a large paper bowel, stir two or three eggs well and microwave a couple of minutes. Stir, and microwave again. Add cheese and microwave again. Our favorite is Krusteaz frozen Belgian waffles topped with Dole fruit cups.

Do you guys have any meal ideals that don't require washing dishes?

pseabolt

your question was meal ideas (ideals?) that don't require washing dishes? 

I precook a lot of our meals (stews, chili, veggies, potatoes, lasagna, pasta) Then freeze them in single or two serving containers. We can then microwave them and have a home made meal that tastes good and keeps the cost of eating not part of the travel budget. We camp off the grid most of the time and carry a generator so we are able to use the microwave even without shore power. My son like poached eggs and I use an egg poacher that works in the microwave oven. I also use the pre-cooked bacon you mentioned in your post but find using one paper towel is adequate. I use to think the pre-cooked stuff was too expensive. However by the time I cook  bacon myself the cost is about the same and precooked is far less messy. We eat a lot of fresh fruit and veggies with all of our meals so breakfast might be coffee, juice an apple & a banana or grapes & berries. 

We often travel/drive up to 12 hours in one day since I am not retired and my time off can be limited. I DON'T want to spend my vacation time cooking or at a location that is not our final destination. The Casita is our gateway access to fun and interesting places and activities, it is NOT the focus of our trip. "Hanging out" in and around the Casita is not our main activity. We love what our Casita allows us to access well off the grid but we don't have IT the center of our universe when away from home. We tend to be gone often prior to sunrise until dark. So quick meals and a comfortable place to sleep works best for us.

Clover & her pup

Clover & her pup

• Babs&Chris and nancyharper like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#8 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 849 posts
  • Local time: 08:54 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:41 AM

The name of this post is an oxymoron; "Microwave Cooking". To me, microwaving some disgusting indistinguishable pre-made "processed food products" of dubious origin isn't "cooking", and in turn, "cooking" ain't microwaving...

A microwave is not my idea of fine dining. It is handy for thawing something out or heating left-overs, or boiling water, but actual cooking? NO WAY!   :wacko:

I realize that there are many who feel differently, and no doubt will extol all the virtues and magnificence of microwaves, and you are, of course, entitled to eat that stuff if it makes you happy. I, for one, have always enjoyed eating real food, and I have also never had a problem washing dishes afterward. YMMV

• Hot Toddy and florida33830 like this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#9 Bubba

Bubba
  • Casita Club Member
  • 489 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 03:27 AM

Our diet almost requires we precook, vacuum pack, keep cold and then nuke or warm up. We do a lot of manifold destiny cooking for our supper (evening meal) when we travel. Since manifold cooking requires aluminum foil we just dispose of the foil after we eat.  Years ago I found a 700 watt microwave that my two batteries and inverter can handle.  We use paper plates at lunch when traveling but keep only four microwave save plates for breakfast and dinner.

Lo many years ago back in school I learned the grilled cheese toaster trick. Again my toaster is very old and has no safety switch that shuts off when the toaster is turned over and my batteries and inverter can handle the short power draw.

1.       Place some paper towels on a table.

2.       Take a toaster and turn the toaster on its side so the toast will eject onto the paper towels.

3.       Put some cheese slices on the bread.

4.       Put the bread with cheese side up in toaster

5.       Start the toaster

6.       Wait and when the toaster is done out pops two perfect pieces to grilled cheese on the paper towels. 

I like mine grilled cheese with a little mayo between the bread and cheese.

Edited by Bubba, 19 September 2015 - 03:31 AM.

• K&C and florida33830 like this

Bubba (Member 1527)
N 30.053633
W-95.230900
Altitude 69 ft
2010 Tundra Double Cab 8' bed
17' Casita a.k.a.Omelet
post-1045-1281522225_thumb.jpg

#10 Southern Comfort

Southern Comfort
  • Casita Club Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:03 AM

In response to Euphoria, you obviously don't pay for your groceries using an EBT card. It is what drives the industry. Baby's mama don't cook, she microwaves it. And to think it all started with a Hot Pocket. I recently aquired some organic popcorn alla a shipping error. 25lbs of it, and don't ask me what makes it organic.????? Another scam IMHO. I can't give the stuff away. I have a hot air popper and have been using the same one that is over 30yrs. old but nobody else seems to have one. I even put it out on facebook. Nope, we microwave popcorn. Just what is artificial butter flavoring? True story: I have a nephew that is of the mindset that everything is a conspiriacy. Did you know that a McDonalds hamburger is 85% reel beef? What is the other 15% he asks and all the while shoveling the micro popcorn in his mouth. Sad thing is, he is a reflection of our youth. If it wasn't for the microwave, he would starve to death. Sitting around drinking with an old buddy one night and I proposed this question; What is the most valuable thing that you use that was developed and brought to market in your lifetime. I said a microwave and he answered a weed eater. Probably explains why I am 30lbs. heavier than he is. I know the technology is older than I am but I did not have one until the late 1980's and it is a handy thing. I agree, microwaving is not cooking but if you do cook,and you have leftovers, nuff said. Now, in keeping with the topic of this thread, the one and only thing I know that is better cooked in a microwave. Drum Roll Please................................................ A sweet potato. Just tie it up in a plastic grocery sack and nuke it. Corn on the cob with the shucks left on is pretty good too.

#11 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 152 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:49 AM

Before a trip I'll precook a 1-1/2 lb package of bacon, then individually package rashers and put in the freezer. Heat in microwave. Way better than any pre-cooked bacon I have ever tasted. Bacon with boiled eggs for breakfast and nothing to wash. BLTs too.

Grilled ham and cheese sandwiches cooked on a non stick skillet only requires wiping out the pan.

#12 kanoer54

kanoer54
  • Casita Club Member
  • 26 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 SD
  • Trailer Name:undecided

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:18 AM

When we are camping and have shore power we like to use a crock pot.   Gives up time to check out the campgrounds and other sites while the meal cooks itself.  Easy to clean up and usually have leftovers for another meal.

Oh, and can use paper bowels/plate or ceramic...whatever we choose.  Also,  we take paper towels for the easy clean up and cloth napkins for those moments we want something a little more fancy. 

#13 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 849 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:42 AM

Southern Comfort,

Please be aware that some, (okay, most,) plastics are not microwave safe. Plastic grocery bags fall into the "unsafe" category too. Many plastics give off various toxic and poisonous vapors which are leached out by heating. These will taint your food with poisons and carcinogens. If you must microwave anything, please check to see that the plastic containers are indeed microwave safe. If it doesn't say so, it most probably isn't. Oh, and the microwave popcorn...worst thing you could possibly ingest. Full of trans-fats which are among the worst things for your body. Happy dining.

Greg

Edited by Euphoria, 19 September 2015 - 11:44 AM.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#14 Southern Comfort

Southern Comfort
  • Casita Club Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for the warning Greg. I peel off the skin ,so I will continue to take my chances with the sweet tater. I have seen them in the store wraped in plastic with a lable that reads microwavable. Is that any better? I looked at the Glad Cling Wrap I have and is says BPA free. Is that what I need to use? Anyway, I eat alot of them, I read somewhere that it is one of the most nutritious foods that you can eat. My dad told me that, in the winter time, he would carry a sweet potato that had been baked in the fire to school to keep his hands warm and then eat the potato for breakfast when he got there after walking 10 miles uphill both ways, you know the story. Oh, I left out the part, get up early, build the fire in the stove so the house would warm for his parents to get up, go milk the cow, then walk to school, 10 miles, uphill both ways.

#15 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 152 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 19 September 2015 - 03:47 PM

Here is an interesting link on health issues associated with different kinds of plastic.

http://www.babygreen...bers-guide.aspx