clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,076 posts
  • Local time: 10:54 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:19 AM

i have really enjoyed my honda 2000 generator but it is now starting to run a bit rough on eco mode. i've been told the carburator needs cleaning. has anyone done this? and after i do get it cleaned, what gas do you use to minimize the gunk accumulating in the future? thanks for any info, claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#2 C.FiberglassFreedom

C.FiberglassFreedom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 253 posts
  • Local time: 11:54 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD, 17

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:27 AM

This is the most relevant information I could find for you.

https://www.youtube....annel=Weingartz

Also from what I've read is you can bring your generator to any dealer and buy an overhaul where they clean the carb flush change spark and all that from anywhere $100-250 as far as I've read online.

#3 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:53 AM

that's the same video i've watched a couple of times, very very good video. i'd like to try this myself, with maybe a good casita friend standing nearby or doing the same thing to theirs. i just spent $104.17 yesterday at a "honda dealer" here in lewisville, tx. they wanted to sell me a new carburator to the tune of $200.00 more. when i asked why they couldn't just clean the carburator, they informed me the "EPA won't let them clean them anymore, they have to replace them". i was furious, don't know if it's because i'm female, but it turned me completely off on "experts". i'll do it myself before i'll let them serve me a bunch of garbage on a plate like that again.

i'm hoping they actually changed the oil and spark plug, but i won't know that til i check for myself.

• nasa42a and MGD like this

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#4 WaltP

WaltP
  • Casita Club Member
  • 125 posts
  • Local time: 11:54 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' BigFoot, 2002

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:13 PM

Seems to me they fed you a line of  bull. At least I hope so.

Walt

#5 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:23 PM

Seems to me they fed you a line of  bull. At least I hope so.

Walt

seems to me they wanted to add another $200.00 to my service bill. so sad these days, finding an honest person is very very hard.

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#6 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 03:04 PM

i wanted to thank "joe" for showing me how to clean the carburator on my honda 2000 last week at the ohio casita rally. it's running like new again. i've found a source for ethanol-free gas not too far from home, add sta-bil and seafoam to each gallon and run it at least monthly, both with and without a load. hope this keeps it happier for longer. claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#7 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Local time: 08:54 PM
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 02 October 2015 - 03:12 PM

Yep. Non-ethanol gas and Seafoam help a whole lot. Standard fare for my Genny.  (As well as the Honda moto-pony.)

• clairemr1 likes this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#8 Don in Ut

Don in Ut
  • Rally Organizer
  • 652 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:'96 16' SD
  • Interests:Exploring the beautiful mountains and canyons of Utah and other western states. I also enjoy off roading - snowmobiling in winter.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1710

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:42 PM

Hi Claire

Yeah, that bozo was clearly attempting to rip you off for the cost of a new carburetor.  If you had sprung for the cost of a new carb he probably would have run a little carb cleaner through your old one and charged you for a new one.

I, and probably others, would like to know the name and location of the business that told you that the EPA wouldn't let them clean the carburetor etc.".  It would be better if you had the name of the person who told you that as well.

I agree with others who recommend Sea Foam.  If my Honda starts to surge or run a little rough, I just put in a little Sea Foam and let it run for awhile.  Mine will clear up and run like new in a few minutes.  Yes, if you can find it, gasoline without ethanol will be much better for any small engine.

Don in UT 

• nasa42a likes this
'96 SD 16' HLA 20 degree down start
'98 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 extended cab

#9 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:51 AM

hi, don. "North Texas Farm & Garden", 1311 South Stemmons Freeway, Lewisville, Tx 75067 is where i tried to get the generator maintenance with carb cleaned originally. I was really disappointed with their service. When they told me it needed a new carburator and they couldn't clean it "because the EPA won't let us, they make us replace them", I knew they were shady. I paid the $104.17 for oil change and spark plug replacement, which costs about $25.00 maximum to do yourself and got out of there. I'll find out the name of the salesman and manager today and will send them a note relating my experience there. The sad thing is, I would have paid annually to have them do the work, but now will never step foot inside their doors and will relate my experience to everyone. Wonder how many others they rip off on a daily basis.

they just lost a customer and i learned a skill, how to clean the honda carburator. claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

• Plainsman, nasa42a and MGD like this

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#10 Don in Ut

Don in Ut
  • Rally Organizer
  • 652 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:'96 16' SD
  • Interests:Exploring the beautiful mountains and canyons of Utah and other western states. I also enjoy off roading - snowmobiling in winter.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1710

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:02 PM

Claire

I think you should take the time to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau for the Lewiston area.  Probably not a lot you can do about it otherwise.  Most likely he didn't put anything on paper.  However the owner / manager might want to contact you when he is contacted by the BBB.  But then he might also be a lowlife.

When the guy learned that you couldn't (didn't want to) change the oil and put in a new spark plug he just decided to jack the price up on the oil change and plug and see if he could wring another couple of hundred bucks out of you for a new carburetor.

Glad "Joe" showed you how to maintain your generator on your own.  I can attest to the fact that you use your Honda a lot and you need to be able to maintain it yourself.  Learning how to do anything for yourself will save you a ton of money over time.  I love the internet.  So far I have found several You Tube videos on just about anything I would be interested in doing.

Don

• MGD and clairemr1 like this
'96 SD 16' HLA 20 degree down start
'98 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 extended cab

#11 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:09 PM

The power of the internet! Yes, by all means expose these low-lifes and spread the word about their shifty practices. Also go the BBB route, since they will have to answer the allegations or have the complaint forever on their profile. Any outfit that preys on women because they are "easy marks" deserves the short route to the 'out-of-business' exit.

• nasa42a and clairemr1 like this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#12 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:17 PM

you're right, don and plainsman. it might  save another customer from being treated in similar manner if i pursue a complaint through the BBB. thanks for this suggestion.

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#13 hankster

hankster
  • Casita Club Member
  • 15 posts
  • Local time: 09:54 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:golf Boondocking rootin' around

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:38 AM

Claire and all readers, I used Mower Medic in Carrollton to clean and rebuild the carb on my 2000. It was really gummed up.  They charged $140. Great job and nice people.

• clairemr1 likes this

#14 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:14 AM

thanks so much for the referral, i had a very unsatisfactory experience with a place in lewisville, so i'll take it to mower medic next time if i don't want to do it myself. in fact, i've used mower medic for my lawn mower several times and got good service there. thanks for reminding me of them............

• MGD likes this

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#15 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,210 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:32 PM

I used Plano Power Equipment, www.planopower.com. Bought the high altitude jets from them and they taught me how to clean the carburetor and change the jets, no charge. Now that was about 6 years ago so there might be a charge for that hands on training. Youtube is my best friend. A generator carburetor is a fairly simple and straight forward piece of equipment. I have since worked on a Boliy and Champion, pretty simple and has saved me some coin.

Clover

• clairemr1 likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)