• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NannyD

NannyD
  • Casita Club Member
  • 19 posts
  • Local time: 12:18 PM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:10 AM

I am getting ready to order the 2016 17' Freedom Deluxe. I am also trying to start buying the things I will need. I have been reading up on generators and am confused. 1. How big of a generator do I need? 2. Do I need to have one if I don't plan on boondocking until I learn what I am doing? Thanks for any advice you can give. I have never done any camping before.
  • sandyb12 likes this

#2 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:33 AM

hi, nanny, i would concentrate on the options that you want on your casita from the factory, then figure out your camping style before buying a generator. things like carpet or vinyl, D range tires, high lift axle,electric tongue jack, anti sway system, LED inside lighting, 25 g fresh water tank,outside shower/wash station, propane furnace, awning, cable-ready, entertainment package,,   those are things you'll want to decide, if possible, before ordering your casita, so they'll be installed when you pick it up. i'd also ask them to install the mach 1 ac rather than the mach 8. many mach 8 owners are complaining about the noise of the ac, versus the mach 1.

some folks, who always camp in campgrounds with hook ups, will never need solar and/or generator. others get along with just solar. you definitely need a generator if you do any boondocking where you'll need your ac or to run your microwave. i chose the very popular honda 2000i generator and got it mounted on the back of my trailer and welded to a cargo carrier i bought from harbor freight. jim at OMW welded a low pro lockdown to the cargo carrier in back and that's where my honda lives. i use it a lot because i boondock a lot and want to use the ac while camping here in texas throughout the year. i bought my 2013 casita patriot deluxe feb 1, 2014 and camped for 9 months before deciding to get the generator, based on the experiences i was having when travelling and my camping style.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

Edited by clairemr1, 08 September 2015 - 10:48 AM.

• sandyb12 likes this

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#3 NannyD

NannyD
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:07 PM

Hi Claire, Thanks for the advice. I spent a lot of time this weekend deciding all those things. I contacted the Casita factory in Rice this morning and ask them to send me the packet, pricing, order forms and any other information that they think I will need. I plan on going down soon to do the factory tour. I was just reading up on generators and really just wondering if I really needed to buy one at first. I am going to let it wait for a while. I will probably be buying one and having it mounted closer to July. My best friend and I are going to drive to Seattle then go on a 7day cruise to Alaska.

Thanks Linda (NannyD)
  • sandyb12 likes this

#4 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 08 September 2015 - 01:13 PM

sounds like a good plan. enjoy....................

• sandyb12 likes this

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Generators