#16 NEWYORKHILLBILLY

NEWYORKHILLBILLY
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 61 posts
  • Local time: 10:33 AM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:25 AM

thanks for all the replies

2015 Tacoma Double Cab, Off-road Pkg, 4x4. We picked up our Casita LD on Aug 12th. On the drive to Rice we averaged 20 mpg, with the trailer we averaged 15 driving in 4th gear at around 60 MPH. The Truck had about 3 weeks of clothes, luggage etc in it. The trailer was minimally packed enough to camp on our trip back to Seattle.

can you order it with no stickers or did you remove them.?   

#17 NEWYORKHILLBILLY

NEWYORKHILLBILLY
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:27 AM

Wondering what others with similar set ups are getting ?  I have 2013 Tacoma access cab ,4wd tow package v-6 4.0 

I looking at both a casita 17 sprite deluxe  and a escape 19  .  Thinking the casita will tow better and get better gas mileage  .  

The dual axle Escape will tow and handle much easier than the Casita; we've had both. Mileage may not be as bad as you think - our Taco got 14-15 towing the 17LD and gets 13-14 towing an Escape 21.

maybe a 19 would be ok then.

#18 kpiercec8

kpiercec8
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 10 September 2015 - 03:48 PM

With our 2013 Tacoma Access cab and a bak-flip bed cover we get 15-17 mpg towing our 17SD. We were just up in the mountains of New Mexico where I expected mileage to be a little better but it was as stated above.

KP

Kim & Mary Pierce

#19 SnJD

SnJD
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 08:33 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Liberty Dlx
  • Interests:Hiking, photography, kayaking
  • Casita Club Directory #:3092

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:20 PM

Newyorkhillbilly - you can order it without the decals. That's what we did, expecting to put some custom mural or whatnot on it at some later date. Here's a couple pics with the new wheels, vent cover and naked body.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by SnJD, 12 September 2015 - 05:22 PM.

#20 jimiller5

jimiller5
  • Casita Club Member
  • 115 posts
  • Local time: 07:33 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 SD
  • Interests:Old Time String Band music, hammered and mountain dulcimer
  • Trailer Name:Camptown

Posted 16 September 2015 - 10:27 AM

We just returned from a 30 day trip from East TN to CA and back with our 2015 Tacoma TRD Sport. Here's the facts:

6963 Miles/436.8 gallons = 15.97 mpg

Our mileage was definitely better coming east as opposed to going west. I kept the truck in 5th gear as advised by both the service tech and mechanic at the local Toyota dealer. We ran about 65 mph which seemed to be the "sweet spot" for the truck. I only used cruise on long, flat stretches of interstate and took it off for any hills. We were down to 45 mph going over the Loveland Pass west of Denver, but had plenty of power to pass if we needed it on level ground. We do use a WDH and sway bar, and the trailer was rock solid behind the truck. I had to look in the rearview mirror to make sure it was still there.            

#21 SnJD

SnJD
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 08:33 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Liberty Dlx
  • Interests:Hiking, photography, kayaking
  • Casita Club Directory #:3092

Posted 16 September 2015 - 03:23 PM

Very nice. Did you really get advised to run it in 5th, was this a manual or auto transmission?

Do you mind sharing the model/make of your WDH?

Thank you.

We just returned from a 30 day trip from East TN to CA and back with our 2015 Tacoma TRD Sport. Here's the facts:
6963 Miles/436.8 gallons = 15.97 mpg
Our mileage was definitely better coming east as opposed to going west. I kept the truck in 5th gear as advised by both the service tech and mechanic at the local Toyota dealer. We ran about 65 mph which seemed to be the "sweet spot" for the truck. I only used cruise on long, flat stretches of interstate and took it off for any hills. We were down to 45 mph going over the Loveland Pass west of Denver, but had plenty of power to pass if we needed it on level ground. We do use a WDH and sway bar, and the trailer was rock solid behind the truck. I had to look in the rearview mirror to make sure it was still there.

Edited by SnJD, 16 September 2015 - 03:32 PM.

• nasa42a likes this

#22 jimiller5

jimiller5
  • Casita Club Member
  • 115 posts
  • Local time: 07:33 AM
  • Interests:Old Time String Band music, hammered and mountain dulcimer
  • Trailer Name:Camptown

Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:13 PM

The 2015 is my second Tacoma with an auto transmission. The other one was a 2009 and the owner's manual said not to tow in 5th. The new manual says to use 4th when going down a long hill so the engine will assist in braking. When I took the new one in for the first oil change I asked the service tech which gear to use, and he went back into the shop and talked to the mechanic. Both of them said to put it in 5th and let the transmission decide when to down shift. I have a lifetime guarantee on the drive train in case they are wrong.

The WDH is a Curt 1700 with 600 lb round bars.

Edited by jimiller5, 16 September 2015 - 04:14 PM.

• SnJD likes this

#23 kanoer54

kanoer54
  • Casita Club Member
  • 26 posts
  • Trailer Name:undecided

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:41 AM

Guess I overlooked this thread last month.   For what it is worth, we tow our SD17 with a 2012 single cab Ford F-15, 4x4,  V-8 with tow package and camper shell and get around 16 to 16,5.  Typically stay around 60 mph. Not trying to promote Ford, but was surprised our mpg didn't drop off more when towing the camper.

jon