Photo

Winter Plans? What Are Folks Thinking About?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Tom Haberski

Tom Haberski
  • Casita Club Member
  • 145 posts
  • Local time: 05:55 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:1996 16' LD

Posted 25 August 2015 - 12:56 PM

You requested advice on things to do and see. Here's my take. Fort Pickens is a real nice place. Visit the Naval aviation museum in Pensacola........free, huge, interesting place. We've camped just north of Pensacola at Blackwater River S.P. and did a paddle on the river. Nice enough river. Apalachicola is a captivating town to me........small old town, great seafood, some museums worth a gander and it just has a good feel. East of Apalach. is a national forest with campgrounds we've stayed at several times.....Wright Lake. No electricity, but water, hot showers and a small lake for paddling. The coast can be windy.....it was when we were at St. George. That was years ago, tent camping & I don't remember the park. We did stay the winter before at Fort Pickens for a week and I liked it and intend to head back there. It was highly recommended by camper folks at Blackwater S.P. Lot's to see and do there. There are some good campsites there, and some marginal, open field spots. I'd have suggestions if you want, and you can reserve.

St. Joe S.P. is a real gem further east.  Recommended, but busy in winter.

#17 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,009 posts
  • Local time: 06:55 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 17' SD
  • Interests:Travel, photography

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for your response, Radar, I'll check that out but I know right now unless something unforeseen happens I will be heading straight to GE&H from out west. Some of use are heading out there in January, going to Quartzite, etc. I figure it would be silly to come all the way back to FL then turn around and head to AL for GE&H so I'll do GE&H then come home. 

Stephen Foster SP is a nice one and folks should enjoy it. 

Jean
2000 SD 17'
2011 Silverado w/Prodigy BC
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much (and take lots of photos along the way)
www.jeanclarkphotography.com
www.borderbrae.wordpress.com

#18 PCsteve

PCsteve
  • Casita Club Member
  • 22 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17 LD
  • Interests:Canoeing, birding
  • Trailer Name:Seggue

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:58 PM

I'll be working weekdays and begrudging all the snowbirds in "my" campsite...

Regarding scuba in Florida, I was under the impression that the visibility wasn't great in the gulf.

On the other hand, Florida has world class springs with 72 degree water all year.  These springs and spring runs make for great diving swimming and paddling.  Most are at parks with campgrounds - you don't even need a boat.

• SKYTALKER and Missouri Jim like this

#19 Wiganowske

Wiganowske
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2014 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Cycling, kayaking, and hiking.
  • Trailer Name:MoonDancer

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:46 PM

Hey Tom,
Thanks for the info, I appreciate your response I will research the State Parks and National Forest you mentioned. I have made reservations at a couple of campgrounds but I still have a week or two to cover. Apalachicola sounds great. The prospect of a winter without snow is something I have never experienced and am really looking forward to.

#20 Tom Haberski

Tom Haberski
  • Casita Club Member
  • 145 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1996 16' LD

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:57 PM

Florida can be peculiar.  Two years ago we were in Apalachicola in early March, and I checked the weather on the computer for back home in Madison, WI .  One of those  curious "I told you so, ain't we clever and not suffering a blizzard" moves, I thought.  It was 80 F that day where I was sitting in Florida, and 81 F about 1,000 miles further north in Madison, WI.  I went  South, apparently, for the cooler climes.  Or the Gulf shrimp,  maybe.

Point is, you never know what the weather will be, until it's there.  And then, all you can do is adapt to it.

Bon voyage

#21 Wiganowske

Wiganowske
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:55 AM

Hi Tom,
I agree, there's not much you can do about the weather other than prepare and adapt. My wife and I have hiked trails in the White Mts in the pouring rain, the alternative was to sit in the tent and play cards, read etc., and for me that gets old pretty quick I need to move. We try to be as flexible as possible, hike or bike when the weather is nice, visit the museums do errands or shop when it's not. Some of our best hikes have been in the rain, we just throw on the rain gear and go.

#22 Muttley

Muttley

Muttley

• Casita Club Member
  • 939 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:34 PM

Hey All,
I will be headed to Florida for my first winter escape from New England. I have reservations at St George Island state park and will be spending some time at Ft Pickens also. My plan is to head out west in 2017 God willing. Last winter it it didn't snow much until January but then it came with a vengeance and we had at least 3 feet of snow on the ground until March, " UNCLE ". Any information or advice on things to see and do in the Florida Panhandle would be appreciated. Thanks

If you get to Pensacola, it isn't that much further to Mobile.  You can tour the WW2 battleship Alabama and other sights.

2002 SD 17 'Tinker Toy'
2010 Nissan Xterra

#23 Beetlefreak

Beetlefreak
  • Casita Club Member
  • 118 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 Liberty
  • Interests:Finding a good adventure

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:36 PM

We were planning to go to Arizona for the winter. Today I got my summons to do my civic duty as a juror in October and December so it might have to wait until the 1st of the new year.  thmbup

So much fun - So little time
Beetlefreak.com

#24 Wiganowske

Wiganowske
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 04:22 AM

Thanks Muttley,
Mobile and the Alabama will be on my list of things to do. I will also be visiting the Naval aviation museum in Pensacola. New Orleans is another option as I haven't been to that great city in probably 30 years. Keep the suggestions coming I appreciate them all.

#25 Mr Gadget

Mr Gadget
  • Casita Club Member
  • 119 posts
  • Local time: 07:55 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 Casita Spirit DL
  • Interests:Hiking, Interpreter in Cades Cove Great Smoky Mountains
    New Casita Spirit 3/9/16

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:47 PM

Wiganowske, we spent New Years eve (well two days before) with Ray and a group. Keep your lil furnace ready as it was COLD, but we had so much fun at the Chili Dump... then we all Chickened out and left the next day..hahahahah before New years day. Great park one of our favorites as we have stayed in the spring and fall. You have the National Avaition Museum where the NAVY BLUE ANGELS  are stationed and on Wednesdays is there practice day. You can almost watch from the campground. There's a lighthouse to climb and a place called "LIVE OAKS" where that is the name of trees that were used to build ships.... Great place even in the cold of winter, just be prepared and you'll have fun doing the tourist things without the crowds.

Mr Gadget

"My Mountain Calls So I Must Go"

#26 Missouri Jim

Missouri Jim
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe 17'
  • Trailer Name:Rita Bonita Casita

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:46 PM

I live in Kansas City, Mo. and the older I get the more the cold penetrates these bones.  I am leaving KC just after the first of the year and headed south.  My first stop will be a place called Spanish Cove in Lillian, Alabama.  A good friend of mine has had a place there for years and has always talked about it.  I plan on just checking it out for a few days.  Next up will be driving through Pensacola and arriving on Feb. 3rd at Highland Hammock State Park in Florida through Feb. 7th.  This is just before the Scamp Camp starts but I could not get in during that time.  Maybe there will be a cancellation.  Then on to St. Cloud/ Kissimmee area where I have other friends and from there not sure.  The only other firm reservation I have at this time is taking part in the North Florida Casita Rally at the Stephen Foster Folk Campground March 3-7th.  As you have gathered this winter in Florida and the Gulf Coast.  Next winter who knows.  I also have friends in Phoenix and El Paso so maybe a SW trip.  The fun is in the planning and journey not the destination.  

#27 andy101

andy101
  • Casita Club Member
  • 281 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 SD
  • Trailer Name:"The Casita"

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:09 AM

We live in southern N.M. Winter here is welcomed! Right now we are still reaching 98 for daytime highs. Dec.,Jan., Feb., Mar. are cold nights around 30 with daytime highs in the 50 to low 60 range.

Andy and Laura
"The Casita"#2926
2008,17SD
Las Cruces, N.M.

#28 kanoer54

kanoer54
  • Casita Club Member
  • 27 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 SD
  • Trailer Name:undecided

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:39 AM

Last year was our first year we had a camper and spent wonderful 5 weeks in FL.  We did NOT miss the snow, ice and cold weather, at all!!!  We plan on doing it again this year but for 6-7 weeks.   We loved the pan handle,  particularly Blackwater River SP and the Apalachicola Nat Forest.   Just north of St George's Island is  is Camel Lake.   Camel Lake was one of the few National forest campsites  we stayed in with water and electricity.  Quite handy for those cold nights when the ceramic heater had to occasionally take the chill off.   It has a small lake,  with a hiking trail around it and LOTS of trails nearby.   We also found the Ocala NF campsite were generally very nice.    We also would like to try the other campgrounds in the pandhandle before we head to the FL peninsula ro visit friends. 

If anyone has other suggestions,  we would love to hear about them.

jon and Skip

#29 The Walkers

The Walkers
  • Casita Club Member
  • 13 posts
  • Local time: 12:55 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Freedom

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:29 PM

We are planning on heading south from Delaware at the beginning of Feb. We made a whole bunch of reservations and are planning to follow the coast south then head west aways. This will be our first trip in our camper and we are quite excited.