• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,359 posts
  • Local time: 01:48 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:40 PM

Thanks for the link, Plainsman. Interesting, there was one guy who complained that bears are allowed to 'poop" in the woods but not humans.
Maybe we should track these idiots down and dump our gray water on THEIR bushes. It would then be a case of just who's ox is being gored.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#17 JerryC

JerryC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 560 posts
  • Local time: 03:48 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 ID
  • Interests:Sightseeing, Hiking, Geocaching, Hot Air Ballooning, Touring this great country in our Casita.

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:45 PM

We have actually stayed in a number of "Federal" campgrounds, both COE and NFS, where dumping grey water near your site was encouraged. You were informed at check in that it was ok to do it if you so desired. Go figure!

Edited by JerryC, 21 August 2015 - 06:50 PM.

Jerry & Wanda
2016 ID
Deep South
Sometimes home, but mostly gone
http://eggrollings.blogspot.com/

#18 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,374 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:21 PM

As time goes by; the population increases; the number of people using public lands increase; the number of people in self-contained RVs (not tents) increase; the size of RVs and waste tanks increase.  Not to mention the increase of products with chemicals that end up in our water tanks.

When I get to a campsite, I really only think of it as mine - not of the people who just left or those who will move in after us.  But, in reality, it belongs to all of us.  During the busy season, a public campsite may be unoccupied for only an hour or so between visitors.  If people simply face the fact that grey water is garbage, it becomes obvious that, regardless of the law, many people dumping hundreds of gallons of grey water on the ground in a campsite every week is not healthy for anything.  Presumably all these people enjoy the outdoors and the natural world to one extent or another, assumably (is that a word?) they would not choose to camp near a garbage dump.  Then why do they need laws to tell them this is a nasty and disgusting thing to do?

Choosing to use grey water at home is one thing, draining a bacteria filled garbagey grey water holding tank in a public area is quite another.

• Meadowlark and NASA42 B like this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#19 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local time: 04:48 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 22 August 2015 - 05:38 AM

i've camped in one private RV campground in Bandera, Tx, that instructed us to dump our gray water on their trees. that's the only place so far. i ask when i arrive somewhere what the rules are and follow them. i know that the vast majority of places do NOT want gray water on the ground.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#20 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,359 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:12 AM

That's a good point, Carol. I know when I camp in a site and take the cats for a walk, I'm incensed when I find dog poop in the site. I don't know why some dog owners think that a camp site is merely an extension of their own back yard, or can't be bothered to go pick up their dog's droppings. People don't seem to understand..or care...that the person coming in to the site next might have toddlers who do what...crawl about and put everything in their mouths...or kids go running around and hit a doggy 'landmine'.

Grey water isn't as nasty, but still...sitting in a tank for who knows how long builds up one heck of a bacterial load, and dumping it on the greenery around the campsite is going to help it. For one, soapy water can kill insects. I"ve found the easiest way to kill the aphids trying to eat my vegetables is to merely fill a spray bottle with dish soap and water and spray them off the plants.

But then...it seems that so many people don't think the laws apply to them. I saw a car full of 20 year olds (or thereabouts)day users at a campground some time ago. The car was covered with all sorts of pro environmental stickers. The 'kids' had just been to the taco shop in town. They left all their food bags, used napkins, styrofoam clamshells, drink cups, pop cans, etc on the curb...within 20 feet of a freshly emptied dumpster. thmbup

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#21 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,374 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:15 AM

i've camped in one private RV campground in Bandera, Tx, that instructed us to dump our gray water on their trees. that's the only place so far. i ask when i arrive somewhere what the rules are and follow them. i know that the vast majority of places do NOT want gray water on the ground.

Private property is quite a different thing, unless their policies cause a health hazard to humans, no one cares..  The natural environments of public lands should be treated differently to maintain and protect public resources.  They belong to everyone and all kinds of wildlife depend upon them.

• Meadowlark likes this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#22 NomadWoman

NomadWoman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 395 posts
  • Local time: 02:48 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 SD 16 ft
  • Trailer Name:Eggcarto
  • Casita Club Directory #:2250

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:23 PM

Plainsman, I approached a stick-built with flowing liquid coming out from underneath and his cover flapping in the wind. Thought, oh emptying his gray tank - nope, nope, close the vents it was not the gray tank. I got by him as fast as I could and raised my middle finger to him.
Emily
Casita Down the Road
05 Tundra 4x2, 2000 Spirit DL
Spring can't come soon enough for some short outings.
Half the fun of the travel is the esthetic of lostness. ~Ray Bradbury
Emily's Adventures in Retirement

#23 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Local time: 02:48 AM
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 22 August 2015 - 05:29 PM

Emily, I hope you reported this galoot. Hard to imagine such arrogance.

"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grey tank, drain, mod, modification