• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 sally&bill

sally&bill
  • Casita Club Member
  • 73 posts
  • Local time: 06:30 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 17 ft. Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Love camping at national parks and monuments. Have worked as campground hosts in Yellowstone and Great Smoky Mountains National Parks and plan to do it at other parks.
  • Trailer Name:Rita

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:33 AM

Can you top this?  We were at a campground in the West talking mods with a fellow Casita owner, and I told him about the grey tank venting mod and fast drain mod which we  have been very happy with.  The husband said that he never has to dump as they do not use their black tank, and he put a pitcock fitting on the lower back corner of his grey tank.  He just opens it when they are towing and lets it drain where ever.  I was dumbfounded.  His wife said that she did not think it is legal, and my wife said that it definitely is not.  His response was: “If you do not get caught, it is not illegal.”

I am sure a couple of people could agree with him, but I know where our cycling friends stand.  They feel completely violated when an RV goes by draining their tanks and they get sprayed.  Pretty disgusting and very thoughtless.

• ArizonaEileen and Meadowlark like this
Sally & Bill
Buford, GA
"Rita" 2004 17SD Casita
'08 Tahoe

#2 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,013 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 17' SD
  • Interests:Travel, photography

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:48 AM

Oh Lordy, what a BAD name they will give other Casita owners! How many of us will be wondering who that arrogant, rude and totally lazy person it? It doesn't take very long to dump the tanks so if he's too lazy to do that  I wonder what else he lets slide or ignores, tires, brakes? His attitude will do him in eventually I'm sure. I just hope he doesn't injure someone else when it happens. 

Jean
2000 SD 17'
2011 Silverado w/Prodigy BC
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much (and take lots of photos along the way)
www.jeanclarkphotography.com
www.borderbrae.wordpress.com

#3 C.FiberglassFreedom

C.FiberglassFreedom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 253 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD, 17

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:47 AM

When I worked for a gas station (Circle K) I caught so many RVers at night dumping their tanks in this waste water drain that was beside the gas station....  You'd call the cops and they would chuckle and say 'We'll send a unit' two hours later....

#4 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local time: 05:30 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:06 PM

no matter the circumstances, there is always some fool who feels above the rules and flaunts them. speed limits, leash laws, normal decent rv dumping procedures, they feel the rules don't apply to them. they are somehow smarter than the rest of us.lots of those folks end up in our justice system because sometimes they do get caught.

"the more i know about some people, the more i like my dog"..........................................

• Lynn & Cindy likes this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#5 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,321 posts
  • Local time: 02:30 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:18 PM

Unfortunately, you can't regulate stupidity or laziness. People like that need to get caught and fined big time!

• Meadowlark and clairemr1 like this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#6 SoloMatt

SoloMatt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 273 posts
  • Local time: 03:30 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:13' PD

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:35 PM

All these class-b van mobile dog washers I see in urban areas around Southern California dump their gray tanks into the gutters without even thinking twice.  It's pretty nasty.  I take pics and report them sometimes, but I doubt anything ever happens.  But, obviously, the nastiest of all were the Venice Beach RV 'residents' like this guy before the 2010 crackdown.  It was a real problem that year.  Still is.  But not as bad....  :glare:

#7 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,359 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:21 PM

IF that guy, (who thinks it's illegal only if you get caught dumping on the road), reads this, you better listen up.

IT"S ILLEGAL and I, for one, do not want to be thought of in the same light as you. You might think you're being clever, but all you're being is  a (oh, where are my Korean fonts when I need them.)

STOP IT. If I catch you doing that I'll take your photo and post it everywhere, license plate showing.

Am I judging you? You better believe it, buddy.

But somehow, I doubt whether that blankety blank can read, must less use a computer.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#8 Clearcut

Clearcut
  • Casita Club Member
  • 65 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Independence
  • Interests:Flying and restoring old airplanes.

West coast logging history

Dodging bad weather and grumpy people.

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:21 PM

Sewage dumping isn't just an urban problem.  I spent most of my life working in the woods and there were numerous occasions when people would pull off the highway onto our unpaved logging roads and empty their black water tank.

We caught one in the act and his statement was "well, clear up here in the middle of nowhere what does it really matter?"  We blocked the road so he couldn't leave, called the local deputy. and watched in amazement as he admonished the dumper, warned him not to do it again, and let him go on his way.  We were then lectured about blocking the dumper and not letting him leave.

We figured the next time we caught one we'd handle the situation our selves...in our own way... but we never caught another one.  Saw lots of sign, though. It's an on-going problem.

We found one site of black water dumping right in the middle of a wooden bridge crossing a pristine trout stream.  There was no active logging going on in the area hence no traffic and no witnesses.  I felt sorry for the fish.

Semi retired...life is good.

#9 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,359 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:43 PM

Illegal dumping of any sort is everywhere. When I was stationed at Ft. Lewis, (now called JBLM) every year we soldiers spent a week going over the entire post, picking up garbage. You cannot believe the trash, the junk, the garbage we'd find. Shingles. Mattresses. refrigerators, tires. Dead animals: pigs, poached elk, poached deer, (the front parts of the cervids only: they took the heads with antlers, and the hind quarters only). poached mallard ducks, dead goats (black ones, used by satanic cultists), dead black dogs (same, although one guy from Haiti told me they are used in voodoo), oh gosh. One time I was on my way home and caught a guy sweeping out the back of his pickup truck after dumping a full load of black trash bags. . Unfortunately this was before the days of cell phones with cameras. He just flipped me off when I yelled at him. I got his plate number, called the MP's who said, yeah, they do that all the time.

Once in a while we'd find dead people. Murderers like to dump their victims on military reservations.

Try and explain to the tax payers of this country why military training must be suspended, why military budgets must include garbage pickup.

and it was NO FUN to be actually doing the garbage pickup.

#10 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:13 PM

Actually, there IS a mod that would be worse. What if he did use his black tank and put a petcock on THAT?

"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#11 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:36 PM

Meadowlark said... "... (oh, where are my Korean fonts when I need them.)..."

This might be what you are looking for...

항문

:)

• Meadowlark likes this

#12 SoloMatt

SoloMatt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 273 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13' PD

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:04 PM

Just a warning to anyone that Googles that to find out what it means.... do NOT click the images tab! :lol:   :blink:  :wow:

Edited by SoloMatt, 20 August 2015 - 04:04 PM.

#13 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:20 PM

Well, I had to use Google Translator, but..well, you're right. The illegal dumper is most definitely THAT!

Thanks, Plainsman. And Solo Matt...I spent two terrific years in Korea and had the time of my life. And, as is always the case in learning any foreign language, I learned the cuss words first.

#14 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,374 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:56 PM

Years ago there was a Casitan who posted that he often would empty his gray tank in the shrubbery by his campsite.  He thought it was good for the plants, especially in the desert.  And he thought it was a joke when I told him otherwise.  I can just imagine what a mess he left for the next campers and what campgrounds would be like we all did that.  He no longer posts here but I bet there are many other Casitans who still dump the gray tank like he does.  (His posts are probably still in the old Archives).

PS:  Just found one of his posts in the Archives.  I didn't include his name but he posted this in a thread after the 1st Casita Club Rally in Colorado, 2002.  People were checking in as they got home and he just had to comment on my feelings about dumping the gray tank. :rolleyes:

Two more rally-goers home. Glad to here y'all made it safely.

Nancy, I'm not sure Carol is home yet ... If you're still looking for a place to dump, I know she doesn't mind if you dump the grey water at her place!

Marie! Take care of John! Note to all: John is the Casitan who hauled his Casita and dropped it over on the Estes Park side, then drove back over Trail Ridge Road and followed the caravan back over TRR, so we'd have an empty tow-vehicle, in case we needed to call one into service.

• Sue and Sandy likes this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#15 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:42 PM

Here's an interesting collection of notes...

http://www.rvboondoc...ping-issue.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grey tank, drain, mod, modification