Photo

Here's Another Case Where 'situational Awareness' Applies.

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 Clearcut

Clearcut
  • Casita Club Member
  • 65 posts
  • Local time: 09:38 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Independence
  • Interests:Flying and restoring old airplanes.

West coast logging history

Dodging bad weather and grumpy people.

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:57 AM

Can we get away from the political crap...either side...and get back to talking about critters?  Critters make more sense. :rolleyes:

• Carol Christensen, JerryC, Meadowlark and 1 other like this
Semi retired...life is good.

#32 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Local time: 10:38 AM
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:19 AM

I agree, Clearcut. But the first poster to bring up the 'political crap' made an outrageously silly and mean-spirited partisan post that needed to be corrected.

The SPLC has been criticized for using hyperbole and overstating the prevalence of hate groups to raise large amounts of money. In a 2000 Harper's Magazine article, Ken Silverstein said that Dees has kept the SPLC focused on fighting anti-minority groups like the KKK, whose membership has declined to just 2,000, instead of on issues like homelessness, mostly because the former issue makes for more lucrative fundraising. The article claimed the SPLC "spends twice as much on fund-raising -- $5.76 million last year -- as it does on legal services for victims of civil rights abuses."[32] Harper's pointed out that more than 95% of hate crimes are committed by lone wolves without any connection to militia groups the SPLC speaks of.[32]-Wikipedia article...

Now let's get back to them critters! :)

cow and calf 1506.jpg

• clairemr1 likes this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#33 C.FiberglassFreedom

C.FiberglassFreedom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 253 posts
  • Local time: 01:38 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD, 17

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:12 AM

:rofl2: When people talk politics.

NRTee.gif

• Go Faster and clairemr1 like this

#34 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:11 PM

And speaking of critters...

I went out to the mailbox this morning and saw this fine family group. Three moms and fifteen babies. They're kinda used to me so they didn't panic. If they get any friendlier I will start spooking them. They don't need to be chummy with any homo sapiens.

turkeys 150817.jpg

• clairemr1 likes this

#35 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,093 posts
  • Local time: 11:38 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 17 August 2015 - 01:11 PM

And speaking of critters...

I went out to the mailbox this morning and saw this fine family group. Three moms and fifteen babies. They're kinda used to me so they didn't panic. If they get any friendlier I will start spooking them. They don't need to be chummy with any homo sapiens.

attachicon.gifturkeys 150817.jpg

the less any wildlife has to do with homo sapiens, the better they all do. lucky you to live in such pretty surroundings. claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#36 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 01:56 PM

How true, Claire. Every year many fawns are 'found' by people who take them home to 'save them.' But Mom was always there— watching them take her baby away. Leave 'em there. 99% of the time they are not abandoned and mother is near at hand. 

#37 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,376 posts
  • Local time: 09:38 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:40 PM

I've donated my services to PAWS and our local wildlife rehabber. They both corroborate what you say, Plainsman...someone finds a fawn or a fallen bird and thinks it's abandoned. They try to raise it themselves and realize that a baby coon or bird or fawn takes round the clock nursing, sometimes, and we just don't have the time for that. 

I truly understand people's desire to help. But baby animals, especially birds, require an awful lot of care. Or, as is sometimes the case, the animal is truly ill and no amount of veterinary care will help. Or, you find a bird that appears normal until you see that it was born without eyes, as we saw in a robin a few years ago. We have a barn owl box in our backyard and every year a pair raises their brood in it. One year the crows caught the female and killed her. The female barn owl is the only one of the pair that shreds up rodents to feed to the little ones. (they can't eat whole rodents until they're bigger.) Then the male was hit by a car. The babies jumped out of the box. THey were desperately hungry and gentle as lambs, good thing because even at that age their talons are sharp and long.  But we suddenly have four half naked baby owls (later we found there more had died as they were much too young to even climb out of the box.) in our backyard. In this case we scooped them all up and took them to the rehabber.  She's a good one, but even so...barn owls need at least six weeks of flight school/hunting training from their parents before they're autonomous. I have no idea if they survived. Most of the time, even under ideal condiltions, most of them don't. The attrition rate for HY (hatch year) raptors and owls is hideously high, with over 60 percent dying within their first year.

It breaks your heart, sometimes, to find a young animal that tried and failed...but that is nature.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"No matter how old I am, I'm always going to want a pony for Christmas."