Photo

Here's Another Case Where 'situational Awareness' Applies.

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 760 posts
  • Local time: 09:28 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Kayaking, hunting, woodworker, horse drawn carriage historian and restoration, maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:26 PM

A policeman in the big city stops a man in a car with a baby bear in the front seat. "What are you doing with that bear?" He exclaimed, "You should take it to the zoo." The following week, the same policeman sees the same man with the bear again in the front seat, with both of them wearing sunglasses. The policeman pulls him over. "I thought you were going to take that bear to the zoo!" The man replied, "I did. We had such a good time we are going to the beach this weekend!" 

• Meadowlark and clairemr1 like this

#17 Tom Trostel

Tom Trostel
  • Casita Club Member
  • 316 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1980 Bigfoot 15B17G
  • Interests:Dutch oven cooking, 1965 Sunbeam Tiger, hiking, history

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:11 AM

Policeman must have stopped this guy .....

http://www.bing.com/...y/Mw&ajaxhist=0

Tom & Martha Jo Trostel
Arlington, Texas
1973 Compact Junior &
1980 Bigfoot 17'

#18 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 375 posts
  • Local time: 11:28 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:19 AM

I think that maybe we should stop denigrating the media by assuming that Fox News is associated with reality. Read rubbish and you'll get confused. 

Amen sister! The Southern Poverty Law Center recently designated Fox News as a hate group. What does that say about the people who glean their "news" from it?

The truth is out there, you just have to find it.

• SouthwestDude likes this

#19 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Local time: 10:28 AM
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:44 AM

The Southern Poverty Law Center? You know a lot about that group, do you? Going to them for comments on the veracity of Fox News would be like going to Al Sharpton for advice about fire insurance. 

There IS no totally reliable news source anymore. MSNBC? Please. The best thing to happen to "news gathering" in our time has been the rise of the independent bloggers and the underground media.

But I don't even have television so what do I know? (But I refuse to take snide swipes at people who do. Unlike some here.)

• CC-John likes this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#20 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:19 PM

A lot of people get their news from shills like Jon Stewart and the Huffington post as well.

I guess it takes all types.

Probably best not to identify with people like that (or on the other side of the aisle), at least where it's pointless and only causes childish retorts..

• CC-John likes this

#21 Tom Dunn

Tom Dunn
  • Casita Club Member
  • 84 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Delux 17

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:42 PM

Saw these signs and others in all the bathrooms in Grand Teton and Yellowstone this summer. "A fed bear is a dead bear".
image.jpg

Edited by Tom Dunn, 15 August 2015 - 04:44 PM.

Tom & Sue
tsdd@cox.net

#22 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.

Posted 15 August 2015 - 05:25 PM

Such a shame that some people continue to think they are doing the bear a favor by feeding it, when they are actually serving it with a death sentence.

#23 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,376 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 15 August 2015 - 05:59 PM

I wonder how many tourists actually READ that sign. It was everywhere at Yellowstone. I don't wonder how many tourists think it applies to THEM. It appears that that number is ZERO. (well, almost zero. I read it and obeyed it and I'm sure the vast majority of folks on this website do, too)

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"No matter how old I am, I'm always going to want a pony for Christmas."

#24 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:08 PM

This is one reason I am often very uncomfortable in National Parks and almost never go to them any more. They are very highly regulated environments, and yet the regulation doesn't seem to work. If I have my druthers I'll insulate and isolate myself from idiots. That's why I prefer NF and BLM sites. REMOTE NF and BLM sites!

#25 Tom Dunn

Tom Dunn
  • Casita Club Member
  • 84 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Delux 17

Posted 16 August 2015 - 04:07 AM

Our Yellowstone bus tour guide Warren, who is awesome by the way, mentioned that often these wildlife attacks happen when hikers are too determined to achieve their destination. He said that it is better to just turn around and give up on that hike for that day. Seems like good advice. 25 yards is the law in these parks. The key question for me is; can I get back in my car by the time that animal covers the 25 yards between it and me? I'm big and slow so maybe 25 yards isn't enough depending on the animal.
  • Meadowlark likes this
Tom & Sue
tsdd@cox.net

#26 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 05:48 AM

A bull bison in 'full-attack' mode can do 35MPH for a short spurt of 50-100 yards. (I have personally verified this.) That means he will cover 51-feet per second, or 25 yards in 1.5 seconds. Bears are about the same, maybe a tad faster depending on the individual. I've read account claiming short-spurt speeds of 45MPH for browns and grizzlies. We won't even talk about heffalumps. Good luck.

• Meadowlark likes this

#27 Southern Comfort

Southern Comfort
  • Casita Club Member
  • 350 posts
  • Local time: 01:28 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 Spirit
  • Interests:cooking,golf,fishing,hiking,

Posted 16 August 2015 - 07:13 AM

Heffalump? Never seen one...............You ever seen a whompuss kitty? They don't need to run fast. They ambush their prey.

• Plainsman likes this

#28 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,443 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:21 AM

A bull bison in 'full-attack' mode can do 35MPH for a short spurt of 50-100 yards. (I have personally verified this.) That means he will cover 51-feet per second, or 25 yards in 1.5 seconds. Bears are about the same, maybe a tad faster depending on the individual. I've read account claiming short-spurt speeds of 45MPH for browns and grizzlies. We won't even talk about heffalumps. Good luck.

How long would it have taken for this Yellowstone bison to sink a horn into a gut?

#29 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:35 AM

Large target. No need to aim.

#30 graham

graham
  • Casita Club Member
  • 52 posts
  • Local time: 12:28 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Liberty
  • Interests:Reading, gardening, yoga, massage, cycling, hiking

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:18 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:19 AM By Hot Toddy

Chris & Rosemary, on 14 Aug 2015 - 12:29 PM, said:snapback.png

I think that maybe we should stop denigrating the media by assuming that Fox News is associated with reality. Read rubbish and you'll get confused. 

Amen sister! The Southern Poverty Law Center recently designated Fox News as a hate group. What does that say about the people who glean their "news" from it?

The truth is out there, you just have to find it.

And you have not found the truth.   You have been had.

Claim:   The Southern Poverty Law Center has declared the Fox News Channel a hate group.

Example:   [Collected via Twitter, June 2015]

Origins:   On 10 June 2015, the web site Free Wood Post published an article declaring that the Fox News Channel had been declared a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), a legal advocacy organization known for its representation of victims of hate groups. The SPLC is also known for maintaining a list of hate groups, which they define as groups that “have beliefs or practices that attack or malign an entire class of people, typically for their immutable characteristics.”

So. Southern Poverty Law Center declares Fox News a hate group.

Read more at http://m.snopes.com/...QuRvFRqCj1Fi.99

Graham