Photo

Here's Another Case Where 'situational Awareness' Applies.

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Local time: 09:44 PM
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:23 PM

http://www.foxnews.c...led-hiker-cubs/

'It can't happen to me!' is one of those famous-last-words lines. Some folks are afraid to appear paranoid. Being prepared is not paranoid, it's just good sense. If he had had bear spray and was able to use it in time, this hiker might be alive today.

• twin rivers and sandyb12 like this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#2 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,039 posts
  • Local time: 11:44 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:40 PM

we don't know all the details, of course, but i know when i visited glacier np and yellowstone np this past june/july, they hammered it into our heads, don't hike alone, make noise, carry bear spray, no dogs on the trails, keep dogs on leashes and only in the campgrounds, never leave a dog tied up unattended, clean up all evidence of food immediately after eating, throw trash in bear-proofed dumpsters, stay so many feet away from all wildlife. yet i saw countless times people violating these rules. it's so sad, a man lost his life, a mother bear was euthanized and possibly her 2 cubs will be put down as well. such a waste in every sense......................

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#3 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:49 PM

It IS a waste, and I think it could have been prevented. 

• clairemr1 likes this

#4 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:56 PM

the vast majority of folks i saw this summer in our national parks/forests acted like they were at disneyland and like they'd never seen wildlife in their lives.. even a "park host" at a national forest cg astonished me by spending 2 days frantically searching for her 2 kittens that she always lets run free at night. when i asked her why she would allow her domestic animals to run loose in a national forest at night, she responded "well, they've always come back before". i was so livid i had to walk away quickly. those 2 kittens became part of the food chain. unbelievable!

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#5 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:27 PM

Doggone shame that the NFS doesn't do a better job of vetting camp hosts and other volunteers. A modicum of knowledge about wilderness/outback realities should be required. I guess they were hard up.

#6 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,295 posts
  • Local time: 08:44 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:58 PM

It boggles my mind that no matter how much the parks put out warnings, especially for bears and bison, people still utterly ignore it. I really don't know why they have to kill the bear.........maybe that will keep the idiots more alert and willing to OBEY.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"The roads of civilization are paved with the bones of horses."

#7 C.FiberglassFreedom

C.FiberglassFreedom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 253 posts
  • Local time: 12:44 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD, 17

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:31 AM

Sadly from all my experiences with day hikers and tourists alike nothing will change. People are so stupid the police would find selfies with a grizzly on their cell phone moments before they were mauled to death.

I have a story from Yellowstone I was fifteen at the time laying on a log and taking a break from running around. I didn't realize there were bison near by and a young bison (calf?) came over curious to see what I was. My first thought was to move but when I did the larger bison 20 or so feet away made an aggressive stance so I stayed still sitting on that log. The young bison was very curious as they hung their head in lap and licked across my shirt I thought it was one of those rare and beautiful moments but in hindsight that particular group of bison were most likely hand fed by someone. Once the young bison lost interest and moved away I quickly backed up over the log and headed back. I always take precautions when going out in nature just as many precautions as going out into the city. But ever since that event I've certainly kept a better situational awareness.

It's a shame both the mother and Cubs are to be killed. I read in one story that they gotta kill the Cubs too since they were involved on feeding on human or some nonsense like that. Fear of a bear growing a taste for human I guess?

"Take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field.

We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on
their clothing so as not to startle the bears that aren't
expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry
pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a
bear.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear
activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference
between black bear and grizzly bear poop. Black bear poop
is smaller and contains a lot of berry seeds and squirrel fur.

Grizzly bear poop has little bells in it and smells like pepper spray."

Edited by C.FiberglassFreedom, 14 August 2015 - 02:36 AM.

• sandyb12 and clairemr1 like this

#8 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:30 AM

The account I read said the cubs were going to a zoo and that 'experts' did not fear that the cubs would develop a taste for humans. What to believe? The press certainly has a talent for getting it wrong.

#9 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:06 AM

And speaking of bears and idiots...

http://www.foxnews.c.../?intcmp=hplnws

Yet another candidate for 'The Darwin Sanction.'

#10 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:53 AM

and now, yet again because a human violated all  the rules and got himself killed/eaten, the mother bear is dead and her 2 cubs will spend the rest of their lives confined to a "zoo" instead of wandering free as nature intended. just chaps my hide. those bears/bison/and all other wildlife are minding their own business and along comes an idiot who causes a chain reaction of destruction. while i was in yellowstone this summer there were several incidents of folks getting so close to bison that they got injured. what's wrong with people?

• Carol Christensen, Plainsman and Meadowlark like this

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#11 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,295 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:37 AM

The news reports I read said the same thing...they didn't want the cubs thinking that eating humans was a good idea. poor things. The mother was only acting like a bear does when it kills something that she thinks is going to harm her cubs. What a shame.

Maybe they should do what the zoo in Alaska did. They had a polar bear named Binky. Binky was in a cage, I'm sorry to say. Some dimbulb woman climbed OVER the fence to go pet Binky. She reached through the bars, Binky grabbed her and bit off her arm. SHe's lucky to have survived. She of course wanted to sue but the Alaskans pretty much summed it up by saying, Idiot, you stick your hand in his cage, he's going to bite you. Someone put up a sign that said "send more tourists, the last one was delicious."

The zoo, by the way, refused to put Binky down.

There's no answer. If YNP puts that area off limits due to the recent grizzly bear attack, the NP system will be sued by some idiot who claims HIS RIGHTS are being trampled on. Too bad the bears don't have rights.

• clairemr1 likes this

#12 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:58 AM

The news reports I read said the same thing...they didn't want the cubs thinking that eating humans was a good idea. poor things. The mother was only acting like a bear does when it kills something that she thinks is going to harm her cubs. What a shame.

Maybe they should do what the zoo in Alaska did. They had a polar bear named Binky. Binky was in a cage, I'm sorry to say. Some dimbulb woman climbed OVER the fence to go pet Binky. She reached through the bars, Binky grabbed her and bit off her arm. SHe's lucky to have survived. She of course wanted to sue but the Alaskans pretty much summed it up by saying, Idiot, you stick your hand in his cage, he's going to bite you. Someone put up a sign that said "send more tourists, the last one was delicious."

The zoo, by the way, refused to put Binky down.

There's no answer. If YNP puts that area off limits due to the recent grizzly bear attack, the NP system will be sued by some idiot who claims HIS RIGHTS are being trampled on. Too bad the bears don't have rights.

i think we should pass laws protecting our wildlife from humans. there should be signs saying you are entering this np/nf area at your own risk and assume all responsibility for accidents/injury by doing so. no matter what protections/rules you put in place, humans continue to violate them and then we take the animal's life when it acts "abnormally" by our standards. to me, the "abnormal" behavior is usually the human who acts any way he/she wants to, then blames someone/something else when havoc results.blaming the animal when we have destroyed it's habitat, overrun it's habitat, removed their food sources to me is the height of human arrogance. no one has to enter a np/nf and should have at least the minimum of respect for it's inhabitants if they chose to do so.by the way, glacier national park will have no glaciers by 2020, due to the increasing temperatures in that area. such a shame...............

• nasa42a likes this

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#13 Chris & Rosemary

Chris & Rosemary
  • Casita Club Member
  • 50 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 SD

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:29 AM

I think that maybe we should stop denigrating the media by assuming that Fox News is associated with reality. Read rubbish and you'll get confused. 

• SouthwestDude likes this

#14 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:54 PM

Oh, I don't know about you, C&R, but I pretty much know a rubbish-peddlar when I see one.

• clairemr1 likes this

#15 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:10 PM

Maybe the following quote from Jacques Cousteou (oh, I can't spell his name)  could be modified and posted on every National Park/NWR/BLM, etc:

"When you enter the ocean, you enter the food chain, not necessarily at the top."

• Carol Christensen, Plainsman, clairemr1 and 1 other like this