#1 Missouri Jim

Missouri Jim
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts
  • Local time: 04:25 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe 17'
  • Trailer Name:Rita Bonita Casita

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:29 PM

Since this is my first post please have patience with me.  I bought my first Casita (2011 Freedom Deluxe) last week in Arkansas.  I pulled it back to Kansas City with my 2010 Nissan Frontier and it is the easiest pulling trailer I have ever owned.  In the past I have had every type of trailer but not a motor home.  First impressions are it is going to be just what I needed.  I did help a friend of mine move a Casita to Memphis about four years ago and that reflexion made me think about a Casita for my own.

I have been retired for nine years after spending 25 years in Government Market Sales with Motorola. I recently sold 25 acres I had on a lake and decided I had enough lawn mowing and tree trimming and I would do some traveling.  Since it is just me I decided the Casita seemed like the answer.  I will let you know how it goes in further posts.

• NASA42 B and clairemr1 like this

#2 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,435 posts
  • Local time: 03:25 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:22 PM

welcome to the casita family, jim. everyone here is very helpful in answering any questions you may have as you start this new wonderful phase of your life. i just returned recently from a whirlwind 10 weeks/11,500 mile trip around this gorgeous country. really really enjoyed hannibal/mark twain lake and branson. happy travels, claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

• Missouri Jim likes this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#3 Fun Sized

Fun Sized
  • Casita Club Member
  • 33 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Fun Sized

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:35 PM

Welcome Jim!  I'm towing my recently purchased 2013 17' Casita SD with a Frontier also.  The Frontier is an excellent tow vehicle for a Casita.  I've already towed it 1,100 miles from Texas to Florida  to  bring it home.  Next I will be towing it 3,000 miles from FL to WI and back in September. The reason I bought a Casita is also to pull it all around the country with my Frontier.  I can't imagine towing a larger TT thousands of miles at a time.  Here's to wearing out our Frontiers having fun with our Casitas!

#4 Missouri Jim

Missouri Jim
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:05 PM

I agree Fun Sized.  I have had full size pickups all my life including a 3/4 ton long bed extended Chevy with Duramax.  Don't try parking that in downtown KC.  I have loved my Frontier and when I thought about getting a TT I did not want to trade vehicles.  I have 88,000 miles on the Frontier and all I've done is change oil every 5,000 and service transmission as needed.  Extremely pleased so far with the Frontier/Casita pairing.  I just installed a brake controller and that took all of 30 minutes.  The Casita had a sway bar so that is all I need.  Equalizing hitch not necessary.  Thanks for the welcome.  I do plan to tow my Casita to Florida this winter.  My son used to live in Tampa.  Lovely area.  I might make a return visit.

#5 Fun Sized

Fun Sized
  • Casita Club Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:53 PM

Jim, My only "winter" booking so far is for the weekend of February 6 & 7 at Highland Hammocks State Park in Sebring FL.  That's the two days before "Scamp Camp" begins on Monday Feb 8 at that location.  Scamp Camp is sold out.  But there will be many Scamps, Casitas and other Eggs staying there on that weekend before the event.  There are three sites left for that weekend if you plan to be in Florida. Here is the information about the event  http://www.scampcamp...2016-sebring-fl Last year there were 73 Eggs in attendance.

#6 Missouri Jim

Missouri Jim
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for the info.  I will check it out and let you know.

#7 Missouri Jim

Missouri Jim
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:32 PM

Fun Sized, I just booked a site @ Highland Hammocks State Park in Sebring coming in on February 3rd and leaving that Sunday.  That was all I could get.  It should be fun and very educational with all the eggs in attendance.  Thanks for the heads up and I'll see you there.

• Fun Sized likes this

#8 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Local time: 02:25 AM
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:35 PM

Welcome, MOJim. It's good to have you with us. Life is good, but better with a Casita! :)

"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#9 Fun Sized

Fun Sized
  • Casita Club Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:39 AM

Jim, That's great news that you will be there the same weekend as my wife and I.  We are in site 56 and will be looking for you.  Go ahead and register with "Dick" at the email link in the Scamp Camp posting I shared above.  I'm sure that they want to track who is attending, even if its the weekend before the event.  Also let Dick know if you want to stay longer.  If he hears of a cancellation, he may be able to transfer that site to you. Looking forward to meeting you! 

#10 Missouri Jim

Missouri Jim
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:24 PM

Will do!  I am very flexible and I might use this Sebring location as a place to explore both east and west.  Maybe a good base camp for a couple of weeks.  Thanks for the tip and look forward to meeting you.  

#11 Missouri Jim

Missouri Jim
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:33 PM

Forgot to tell you but I will be in site 031.  Looking forward to it!

#12 Fun Sized

Fun Sized
  • Casita Club Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:29 AM

Jim, I just ordered a set of larger towing mirrors for my Nissan Frontier.  They are each 3" inches wider than the original mirrors and telescope an additional 3" if desired.  They are also taller with a convex lower section.  This should really help me see what is going on behind and around me while towing.  Here is a link to the product: http://www.1aauto.co...f=752912&y=2014 .  In August 2015, you can get an additional 5% off with the coupon code FIXMYCAR.  I had to call the 800 number to get the additional 5% discount because I could not find where to enter it on their order form. Thought you, as a fellow Frontier owner, might be interested in these. They had a good review of this product with pictures on clubfrontier.org , but I could not make the link work here.  You may be able to search and find the Clubfrontier review.

Edited by Fun Sized, 18 August 2015 - 10:38 AM.

#13 Missouri Jim

Missouri Jim
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:36 PM

Fun Sized, let me know how they work when you get this installed.  I would be interested in a pic.  

#14 Fun Sized

Fun Sized
  • Casita Club Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:54 PM

There are really good pictures here: http://www.clubfront...537/index7.html 

#15 Fun Sized

Fun Sized
  • Casita Club Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:02 PM

They look just like the mirrors on my F-250 Super Duty.  They are power mirrors, but do not power telescope and fold like on a F-250. I'll have to manually telescope and fold them, but you sure will be able to see what is behind with this type of mirror.