Photo

Two Weeks On The Road, Couple Of Questions!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Local time: 10:35 AM
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:54 AM

That chair looks really comfy! I recently modded my SD to eliminate the forward dinette seat and turn it into a storage area. I took the seat-back cushion and with velcro mounted it above the aft seat-back cushion. The 'new' tall seat back makes the seat very much more comfortable.
  • kpiercec8 likes this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#17 SoloMatt

SoloMatt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 273 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13' PD

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:03 AM

Years ago, when I was living in an apartment, the stove vent became so caked with grease from burgers and bacon that it would drip constantly, even when not in use, and had to be professionally cleaned out. It was disgusting! I pretty much haven't cooked indoors since-- casita or not! Also, I'm a spiller. And spilling outside is way better. :)
  • Meadowlark and kpiercec8 like this

#18 leonmot

leonmot
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 175 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17'
  • Interests:golf, Fly fishing, travel, camping, music, art, , beer, sleeping

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:43 AM

Excellent! Love those chairs and no mods, great! Your hat is cool too! I will look in to it. The chairs I mean, got the hat!

• kpiercec8 likes this

#19 leonmot

leonmot
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 175 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17'
  • Interests:golf, Fly fishing, travel, camping, music, art, , beer, sleeping

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:34 PM

I order two chairs from West Marine. Can't wait! Also will be ordering a stove cover and a couple of thing for the bathroom. If you are interested in my table modification, which worked out nicely, search fold, down table, if the link below doesn't work. 

Thanks again. Now I am looking forward to doing some more travels!

the mot

http://www.casitaclu...mot#entry181679

• kpiercec8 likes this

#20 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 375 posts
  • Local time: 11:35 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:06 AM

I agree with jwpark and clairemr1, we bought our Casita to camp in not to look pretty. At one time I owned a Pontiac G6 GT - loaded. One day at while at work some hoodlums kicked in my backdoor, found my car keys and some high dollar vodka that I had been "saving", never to be found again. In hindsight I wish I had driven the wheels off that car and shared the vodka with my friends. At least I would have gotten the enjoyment out of it, rather than a couple of turds riding around in my car drinking my good vodka. Ever since then my motto is, "if you pay for it, you should enjoy it and not save it for someone else".

We cook inside and outside of our trailer and it still smells as fresh as the day we bought it!

• Carol Christensen, Sue and Sandy, kpiercec8 and 2 others like this

#21 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,376 posts
  • Local time: 09:35 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:55 AM

When I buy a new vehicle I let my husband drive it until it gets the first ding, then it's mine. :rofl2:

Seriously, there are a lot of older threads on replacing the seats. We put in oak kitchen table chairs that we bought, used, for ten bucks, at Goodwill.

But boy those new chairs look spiffy. Is it okay to mod a mod?

We seldom cook inside the Casita, only in butt ugly weather. It's not so much the smells as the room, or lack thereof. At home we're a good team, working around each other but you don't have that in the egg. Plus...my husband does all the camp cooking. I am the kitchen minion, KP, and all round gofer.

I LIKE that idea of the range cover serving double duty as a serving tray. The one that came with the Casita is pretty..well, junky...

• kpiercec8 likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"No matter how old I am, I'm always going to want a pony for Christmas."

#22 Paul and Cathy

Paul and Cathy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 40 posts
  • Local time: 12:35 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Freedom Deluxe

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:13 AM

We use crock pot, electric skillet and kettle. Have not had the stove on in over a year. BUT....if you are boondocking, then it would be handy. We also have a small microwave and a Breville smart oven, which we love! We use a Coleman stove outside and enjoy it a lot! It is the one with a grill on one side and a single burner on the other, it also comes with a griddle plate that is very nice. We lived full time in our Casita for 18 months. What fun! Want to do it again soon.
  • kpiercec8 likes this

#23 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 607 posts
  • Local time: 12:35 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:16' spirit deluxe

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:58 AM

we bought our Casita to camp in not to look pretty

i couldn't agree more!  the mods i've done are to make the trailer more useful and me more comfortable.  the original seats in my sd gave me a serious backache after sitting but for a short while.  when i'm camp hosting there are inevitable bad weather days which result in a lot of sitting.  it's taken me nearly 3 years to solve that problem...

p@

• Meadowlark and kpiercec8 like this
"peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
kurt vonnegut, the sirens of titan

#24 jwpark

jwpark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 169 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2012 16ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:canoeing, kayaking, camping, web design

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:21 AM

i couldn't agree more!  the mods i've done are to make the trailer more useful and me more comfortable.  the original seats in my sd gave me a serious backache after sitting but for a short while.  when i'm camp hosting there are inevitable bad weather days which result in a lot of sitting.  it's taken me nearly 3 years to solve that problem...

p@

I just purchased one of the event chairs and not that enthusiastic about it. I wish it didn't have the arms which make it a bit difficult to get in and out of and the padding at the upper part of the back causes me to be humped forward toward the table. I used it for 3 days and went back to the Casita cushions. On a 300 mile trip it stayed in place while on the road. On the way back home and In the folded configuration it ended up on the floor. I'm considering cutting off the added back pad at the top and the backpack straps and see if I can sit up a little straighter. I don't know why anyone would want to carry it like a backpack.  Fortunately it was on sale so I only have $107 and change invested in it.

jwpark 

#25 MN/Camper

MN/Camper
  • Casita Club Member
  • 58 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita 17

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:01 AM

00T0T_bfCUOG0JMiu_600x450.jpg Took bottom off this chair and used a lazy susan to make it turn.

oldfogey 010.jpg oldfogey 012.jpg

#26 jwpark

jwpark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 169 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2012 16ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:canoeing, kayaking, camping, web design

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:27 PM

p@

I just purchased one of the event chairs and not that enthusiastic about it. I wish it didn't have the arms which make it a bit difficult to get in and out of and the padding at the upper part of the back causes me to be humped forward toward the table. I used it for 3 days and went back to the Casita cushions. On a 300 mile trip it stayed in place while on the road. On the way back home and In the folded configuration it ended up on the floor. I'm considering cutting off the added back pad at the top and the backpack straps and see if I can sit up a little straighter. I don't know why anyone would want to carry it like a backpack.  Fortunately it was on sale so I only have $107 and change invested in it.

jwpark 

I've found a solution to the problem with the raised pad at the top of the back rest. I cut a slit on the back side of the pad large enough to get my hand inside and removed the foam padding. The slit is far enough from the edge you can't see it. The chair is now much more comfortable.

jwpark

west marine event chair 1.JPG

west marine event chair 2.JPG

west marine event chair 3.JPG ]

Edited by jwpark, 14 August 2015 - 06:28 PM.