Photo

Two Weeks On The Road, Couple Of Questions!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 leonmot

leonmot
  • Casita Club Member
  • 159 posts
  • Local time: 11:22 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17'
  • Interests:golf, Fly fishing, travel, camping, music, art, , beer, sleeping

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:37 PM

We have a 2013 17' SD. I bought it a little too early into my retirement. Haven't used it much. Still have the original propane. Does propane go bad?  This was pretty much our maiden voyage. I did a mod earlier and removed the original dinette table and replaced it  with a fold down model, worked great, so that helped with the legroom but I found the dinette to uncomfortable to sit at watching TV, ended up laying in bed.

1. I did a search for captain chairs but still any info would be appreciated.

2. We didn't cook in the egg and we don't have a stove cover. Found that a cover would be nice for counter space. Suggestions...

3. Do most people cook outside? We thought we may want to try that next time. What stove, grill, do people use?

4. Outdoor tables? Thoughts on the best tables

We found that the space in the trailer was an issue so we went to Wally World and bought some tubs for clothes and put them in the back of the pickup. The bed cover locks.

There are only two of us and fortunately we are both small in stature. I found that to be advantageous during my time on ships in the USN and USCG.   

TIA,

the mot

• kpiercec8 likes this

#2 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts
  • Local time: 12:22 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:21 PM

No, propane doesn't go bad as far as I know. A few years back, I purchased a 1996 Lance truck camper that had been used only once in its 14 years. It had the original propane in the tanks, and it worked perfectly. The built-in generator only had 3.9 hours of use since new (all in 1996), and it spun up and started perfectly on the old propane, too.

The propane REGULATOR deteriorated and leaked, so I replaced it, but the propare itself seemed fine. Is it possible some impurities solidified in the tank? Sure, but the Casita has a low point to collect any impurities, and the gas that vaporizes and burns should stay pure.

I never cooked "stinky" stuff in my Casita (I was afraid the carpet would absorb grease or odors), but I did plenty of cooking, and never used the range hood fan, even, and had zero odors, and my carpeting (some call it rat-fur) was so clean a damp white towel rubbed on it stayed white with nothing transferring to it.

I always carry a Coleman "Sportster" single burner stove for outdoor use. It's great inside as well, but when you extinguish the flame, it smells for about a minute so I put it outside before shutting it off. I don't like the newer dual-fuel ones as well, so almost never use it. They discontinued the older "green" Sportster 1 model, but they can be found on ebay or garage sales. Mine is 45 years old and works like new. Great little stove if you can live w/ one burner.

• kpiercec8 likes this

#3 tractors1

tractors1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 407 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:ex-LD17, Escape21 now
  • Interests:Scuba diving, old tractors, woodworking

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:21 PM

Hi Mot,

Ex-Navy EW6 here.

REI has some nice folding aluminum telescopic leg tables that work great outside next to a chair by the fire. Just the right height for plugging the coffeepot into the outside AC outlet on the Casita.   http://www.rei.com/p...ble-special-buy

For a stove top cover, might think of one to which you can attach a cutting board, then flip it over and use it for a serving tray to haul the food out to the campsite table. About 1/3 of the way down this page:

http://www.rvwidgetw...to-Gallery.html

• Meadowlark and kpiercec8 like this

ex-owner LD17, Escape 21 now
2013 Tacoma V6 4dr 4wd long bed

Need a widget to hold your stuff?

Don't drill holes!
http://www.rvwidgetworks.com

#4 leonmot

leonmot
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:14 PM

Excellent! Thanks for all the helpful information so far. I appreciate it much! 

• kpiercec8 likes this

#5 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 2,906 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:46 PM

Some SD owners have added marine seats and other "chair-like" mods.  This old thread has some examples.

• Sue and Sandy and kpiercec8 like this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#6 watraveler

watraveler
  • Casita Club Member
  • 380 posts
  • Local time: 10:22 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Sprit Deluxe
  • Interests:Vintage postcard collecting, antiques, fly fishing, camping, photography.

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:23 AM

We do only light cooking in our egg to avoid odors, just as others have mentioned.

You might want to call Casita and ask about the stock cover for the cooktop.  We have one and use it as counter space most of the time, since we usually just heat water or cook veggies indoors.

Our portable grill of choice for now is the O-Grill which we found on Amazon.  It folds up fairly flat and we got the carrying case with it so it is lashed in a vertical position, out of the way in the back of our truck.  The carry case is really nice and heavy duty nylon fabric.  It prevents grease from getting in the back of our truck. 

For the occasional hot breakfast, we have a rectangular Lodge cast iron griddle we place over the top of the O-Grill and cook that way.  It covers most of the oval surface of the O-Grill with a little overlap on the ends.  We remove the cast iron grill surface first, because it reduces the heat to the griddle.  It would be nice if O-Grill came out with a griddle, but I haven't seen one.

We agree with Tractors1 about REI's outdoor tables.  We have an REI all aluminium one which can be used in two different heights and has an extendable surface.  It can be either square or rectangular.  The aluminum slats and base fold up into a neat carry case and it is relatively light.  The portability is nice because when we don't need it, which is most of the time, it isn't in the way or eating up gas carrying it around.

• kpiercec8 likes this

#7 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:08 AM

I have one of those folding white plastic tables that has adjustable-height legs. Very sturdy, but heavier than aluminum. Mine is older, but I saw them at a Walmart the other day. These are very narrow when folded and will slip into small spaces in the truck. And the handle gives you something to grab onto to pull it out and put it to work!

http://www.walmart.c...Tables/29402407

All serious cooking, other than boiling water or making a pot of soup, is done outside. The stove/grill combo I am using now is by Coleman and has served quite well with extensive use.

http://www.walmart.c...-Stove/15843554

PS... The first review of this stove on the Walmart site says that the heat level cannot be adjusted. This is not true. The knobs will adjust the flame from very, very low to extremely high.

Edited by Plainsman, 28 July 2015 - 11:12 AM.

• kpiercec8 likes this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#8 leonmot

leonmot
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 159 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:56 AM

Wow, Excellent! Thanks for the many replies. It's great being able to post on one place and get a bunch of info. Thanks again.

the mot

• kpiercec8 likes this

#9 teacher retired

teacher retired
  • Casita Club Member
  • 663 posts
  • Local time: 01:22 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Liberty/17

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:17 PM

I seem to be in the minority in the discussion about cooking in the trailer. We have a Coleman propane stove which we have only used about a dozen times in 3 years and an O-Grill (highly recommended) only for an occasional steak. We use the stove almost all the time. When the stove is on we always use the vent fan. We have NEVER had a problem with residual odors. Sandy cooks ("stinky stuff") things like cabbage and bacon on the stove. I am sure that the vent helps a whole lot. 

We also have the stove cover which is very handy when we wash and drain the dishes. We just put a dish towel over that cover and let the dishes dry. But using a cutting board over the burners would yield the same result.

George

• kpiercec8 and Le Motte like this

#10 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,000 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:42 AM

i cook on the inside propane burners all the time too, like george and sandy, following the instructions to use the fan over the burners/fantastic fan over the bed and window/s open. i cook whatever i want, including bacon and eggs when in the mood and also use my microwave liberally and have not had residual odor problems so far. i also carry a small crockpot/little webber grill and rival toaster oven for outside cooking, but use them rarely. i don't have the burner cover, but drape a drying towel i purchased at walmart over the burners after they cool and use that to let the dishes air dry on the burners. that towel also prevents something from falling down the burners, like the time i dropped my earring in there when i first purchased the trailer.

• kpiercec8 and Le Motte like this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#11 jwpark

jwpark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 169 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2012 16ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:canoeing, kayaking, camping, web design

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:09 PM

The issue of whether to cook or not cook inside reminds me of when I bought my first canoe. I was being so very careful to not get a scratch on it. In fact the first one shipped had a cosmetic blimpish and I refused to take delivery.

This young lady I had know for years and a highly experienced paddler of both canoe and kayaks was a member of the paddling club I had joined and one day she noticed that I seemed to be overly protective of my nice shiny canoe. She asked me if I bought it to look at or did I buy it to paddle and enjoy the use. That was my wake up. From that time on I began to really enjoy my canoes and my kayaks. The canoe in question is faded, scratched, dented and looks not so spiffy anymore but it now has hundreds of hard miles on it and I continue to thoroughly enjoy paddling it. I take care of my Casita but I bought it to enjoy, Not to park and look at.

jwpark 

• ArizonaEileen, teacher retired, Meadowlark and 2 others like this

#12 Wiganowske

Wiganowske
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts
  • Local time: 02:22 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2014 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Cycling, kayaking, and hiking.
  • Trailer Name:MoonDancer

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:28 PM

Hey Mot,
I did not read all the responses to your post, so someone may have already mentioned it but there are a pair of Captains chairs for sale in the classifieds. $50.00 I think.
  • ArizonaEileen and kpiercec8 like this

#13 leonmot

leonmot
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to look into modifying an office chair or similar. Use the cover on the storage for a template and make base for the chair and install the base on that. I want to be able to easily return it to the original configuration should I decide to sell. 

Thanks again!

• kpiercec8 likes this

#14 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 596 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:16' spirit deluxe

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:43 AM

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to look into modifying an office chair or similar. Use the cover on the storage for a template and make base for the chair and install the base on that. I want to be able to easily return it to the original configuration should I decide to sell. 

here's my solution to the poor seating afforded by the spirit's seats.  these are "event chairs" sold by west marine.  no install required, just take out the original cushions and replace with these...  they are kinda spendy but, i camp host several times a year and during those inevitable multi day rainy periods i found those 90 degree seats very uncomfortable for extended seating sessions.  

IMG_0080_a.jpg

p@

• Sue and Sandy, Meadowlark, kpiercec8 and 1 other like this
"peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
kurt vonnegut, the sirens of titan

#15 C.FiberglassFreedom

C.FiberglassFreedom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 253 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD, 17

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:31 AM

here's my solution to the poor seating afforded by the spirit's seats.  these are "event chairs" sold by west marine.  no install required, just take out the original cushions and replace with these...  they are kinda spendy but, i camp host several times a year and during those inevitable multi day rainy periods i found those 90 degree seats very uncomfortable for extended seating sessions.  

attachicon.gifIMG_0080_a.jpg

p@

I really like the look of those seats, I like that they also double as portable seat covers if ever needed anywhere else and a decent warranty. The price isn't too bad considering what it is.

http://www.westmarin...-blue--10967917
  • kpiercec8 likes this