#31 CasitaRick54

CasitaRick54
  • Casita Club Member
  • 211 posts
  • Local time: 08:57 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17'
  • Trailer Name:La Casita de La Playa

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:13 AM

I keep a can of long range hornet spray right by the door. (I am not going outside to confront a disturbance-they have to actually force the locked door open to put my resistance in motion-that way I have the moral high ground.)

If that does not deter them with non-lethal force, I have the nuclear option... a 12 gauge double barrel coach gun loaded with #4 buckshot. COACH GUN.jpg

But that would make such a mess of my lovely Casita....plus ensnare me in a bunch of local politico-legal hoohaw.

"Officer. I was in fear for my life. I have nothing else to say until I speak with my attorney."

Edited by CasitaRick54, 30 July 2015 - 06:17 AM.

• Wally Z likes this

#32 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Local time: 06:57 PM
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:20 AM

We've beat to death that hornet spray nonsense. Search it. Could save you a lot of trouble. (Nice hat.)
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#33 texastom

texastom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:45 AM

Racking a shotgun to make a scary noise defeats the purpose, or at the very least, least limits the capacity of the shotgun. If the chamber was empty racking the slide would chamber a shell, but now you are starting with one less round of capacity that you would have had otherwise.

If the shotgun had a shell chambered, racking the slide would eject a perfectly good round and also reduce your capacity.

Same thing as cops on TV shows racking the slide on their pistols before heading into danger...no COP with a brain in his/her head would walk around with their weapon not chambered and ready to fire. And no smart COP would intentionally limit his/her capacity by ejecting a round prior to imminent use.
  • Wally Z likes this

#34 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:06 AM

"Racking a shotgun to make a scary noise defeats the purpose..." I guess that would depend on what your purpose was. I'm against empty gestures in a serious situation, but if racking the slide convinces the BG he is about to get perforated then it might have a purpose all its own. One reason to keep a shotgun with chamber empty and on safe is the safety factor. Releasing the slide on an empty-chambered but cocked shotgun requires finding the release button, racking the gun, and then releasing the safety before it can be fired. The owner can do all that in less than a second. Someone not so familiar with the weapon, maybe not at all.

#35 CasitaRick54

CasitaRick54
  • Casita Club Member
  • 211 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17'
  • Trailer Name:La Casita de La Playa

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:21 AM

Another reason for not leaving a live round in the chamber is that, if the weapon is involved in a fire, the round in the chamber may "cook off" and the projectile exit the muzzle with the same velocity as if the trigger had been pulled, endangering emergency responders and onlookers. Rounds in magazines or loose ammo may also rupture or detonate, but it has been proven that the fragments produced usually will not penetrate firefighter protective clothing.

Having said that, if you are carrying a firearm on your body for personal protection, have it ready to go, without need for racking the slide, etc., which is one more procedure you can screw up under stress. It might even be said in court, "Well, you had time to put a round in the chamber before you fired" which might look like premeditation. Remember, juries are often composed of non-gun knowledgeable folks and are easily swayed by so-called "experts."

Or do like I do-carry a revolver (I'm old school that way)

I'm just saying that stored firearms might be safer with a round not chambered in case of fire-if somebody is breaking in, you probably will have time to charge the weapon for action. My shotgun is stored with rounds in both chambers, but it is in a vertical bracket in the closet, so if it cooks off in a fire, the buckshot is going up in a relatively safe direction. That would be different if I had the twice-barreled shootsgun shoved under the mattress or in the over-bed cabinet.

#36 araden

araden
  • Casita Club Member
  • 156 posts
  • Local time: 09:57 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Sailing, Hiking, Reading, canoeing, spending time with my bride.

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:27 PM

Don't know why anyone would admit it on a public forum...

• jwpark, MGD and Wally Z like this

- Al
SouthEast Florida
2014 Toyota 4Runner
2014 Spirit Deluxe - "Scrimsharker"

#37 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,319 posts
  • Local time: 05:57 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:29 PM

I'm old school, too, in that I prefer revolvers. The newer automatics, specifically the Beretta, have three safeties. (it's been a while since I packed a Beretta 9mm so perhaps they've changed) In a surprise ambush/attack/break in I don't think I'd have the presence of mind to remember how to operate the automatic. With a revolver it's point and shoot. I see the guys on TV shooting automatics and of course they never have that problem. Of course, "Hollywood guns" never run out of ammunition, never jam and apparently are so thin that they are unnoticeable under a tight t shirt.

• Plainsman and Joe Z like this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"I saw what you did."-Karma

#38 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:52 PM

Don't know why anyone would admit it on a public forum...

???

#39 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:55 PM

When a female student would ask me what handgun she should buy for home defense, my recommendation was almost always a 4" .38 Special with a bobbed hammer. There is an elegance and simplicity to a good revolver that makes them hard to beat.

#40 Southern Comfort

Southern Comfort
  • Casita Club Member
  • 350 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 Spirit
  • Interests:cooking,golf,fishing,hiking,

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:12 PM

If I could only own 1, this is it. No external hammer to fire a round if you drop it, and it does not snag pulling it out of your pocket. The video shows how accurate this gun is for a 2 inch barrel.Unless you have a daily relationship with a handgun and that means handling often, firing it often and being constantly aware of that gun, YOU NEED A REVOLVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! because it is the simplest and safest, and by all means practice enough to have some confidence with it. If you don't, file the sights off of it. Some of you may know what I mean by that.Situation avoidance is always the best thing to do so don't don't let the gun embolden you. I have several simi automatics in several different calibers and they are just toys. None of them stay loaded for defence. My Colt 45 is comtemporary home decor. Don,t care what anybody says. That H&K over in the corner, late in the evening, when the sunshines thru the window just right, It is truly awe inspiring.

#41 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:57 AM

Yes I Do. I have the right to do so.

'00 Casita, 16' SD 3936 - "Motel One"
'02 Jeep Wrangler, Straight 6, 4.0 L, 4WD, 5-speed
Pulling the Egglet with Aplomb!

#42 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:14 AM

Be sure and explain your "rights" to the New Jersey (MD, MA, NY, CA, IL, etc.) trooper. I'm sure he will be very attentive and receptive. :)
  • Joe Z, Euphoria and SoloMatt like this

#43 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 842 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:42 AM

The only thing about the video above is that he definitely isn't the guy I would want backing me up. He can't hit diddly squat. If I shot that poorly I wouldn't even carry. Unfortunately, many states only require money and a clean background check to get a CPL. There aren't too many states out there who require any demonstrated proof of marksmanship skills to get a license, but some are finally coming around to it slowly.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#44 Southern Comfort

Southern Comfort
  • Casita Club Member
  • 350 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 Spirit
  • Interests:cooking,golf,fishing,hiking,

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:17 AM

Well, I am not going to brag about my marksmanship, but I own 2 of those S&W snub noses. At 15-20 feet, I am about as good as I am with any other hand gun. The machine accuracy of the guns are impressive for such a short barrel. The guy in the video is trying from 50yards. Only someone well practiced in the sport of shooting with good eyes will be able to group 6 to 8 inches at 50 yrds and that is with a tricked out gun. This therad was started by someone who, I think, was entertaining carrying a firearm for protection and not for sport. I would say most folks purchase, may shoot it some initially and then just carry it and never practice with it hence loosing fimiliarity with the weapon. They catch people at the airport all the time with one in the carry on. Rats!!!!!! forgot it was in there.......or my wife was mad at me and I was in a hurry to leave and she must have put it in there knowing I would get caught by the metal dectector as pay back for catching me with that other woman. Anyway the 38 shown in the video is the best option for those folksIMHO

• Meadowlark likes this

#45 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,319 posts
  • Local time: 05:57 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:41 PM

Southern Comfort, you just described me. And us. I seldom shoot any of our weapons. I have a Ruger Mini-14 "ranch rifle' that I dearly love. If you use the standard five round magazine it won't jam.  It is a sweet gun for a woman and has no more kick than an M-16, which doesn't have any. But oh my gosh, cleaning it is a booger bear. I just don't have that knack of re-inserting the firing pin into the bolt. Not without a lot of cussing....how in the world the GI's cleaned their M14's I'll never know. It's certainly not as easy as re-assembling an M-16 or M-15.

It's why I don't fire it often.

You are right, I wouldn't...and don't..depend on my accuracy with any handgun any anymore. So I think in our case, at least,  situation awareness and avoidance is the best course.

As for the airport scenario...guilty as charged. My husband and I were going through security at the airport and he'd forgotten a handful of ammunition was still in his backpack. Oh my gosh. We were pulled out of the inspection line, they took off with my husbands backpack and we were 'detained' in a Special Detention Area, all without being told why. I knew if we so much as whined, we'd be on our lips being body cavity searched by a TSA gorilla. Fortunately we minded our manners as we had plenty of time to catch our flight. They watched us for about twenty minutes just to see how we'd react,  then a cop came over, handed over the backpack and showed us the three bullets my husband had forgotten he had in his backpack. The cop said "don't do that s...t again". We said, "yes SIR, you can have the bullets,"  and we were on our way.

Edited by Meadowlark, 31 July 2015 - 01:49 PM.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"I saw what you did."-Karma