#16 Southern Comfort

Southern Comfort
  • Casita Club Member
  • 350 posts
  • Local time: 08:09 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 Spirit
  • Interests:cooking,golf,fishing,hiking,

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:59 PM

was a time I always carried one, but not anymore for the reasons in the less sarcasm than you think response. Sad the amount of liberty well intentioned tax paying folks are losing. I carry one in the camper but it is not loaded and I carry the ammo in the vehicle. I load it if I sleep over in a place that I feel uneasy about. Better know the laws for sure and don't ever pull onto school property anywhere. The law here for knives is blades less than 5 inches. I carry a couple in the truck and they have been measured. Need a permit for longer than 5. A machete you just use to walk thru the woods? Who knows!!!!!!!!! Disorderly and obstruction are charges that will get you arrested if you just open your mouth. I was threatened with just that for turning away to walk to the side of the road to keep from getting run over in the street. I guess he did not like me turning away from him. Bulling and trying to provoke was his motive. guilty till you spend a bunch of money to prove you are inocent is the way it is. Shame, you want so bad to trust them. 

#17 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts
  • Local time: 06:09 PM

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:15 PM

I always carry a 40 caliber Glock pistol and a 12 gauge shotgun with pistol grip.  The shotgun is in the Casita and the Glock is with me in the tow vehicle.  As a military veteran and a retired law enforcement officer (28 years), I have learned through experience not to trust or have faith in the humanity of outlaws and criminals.  I will protect myself, my family, and innocent victims, without  hesitation, to the very best of my ability.  I rely on God to have my back when the need arises.  He has never let me down. 

As a retired LEO, you are in a special case, where current officers will almost always show you professional courtesy, and treat you with respect, an advantage civilians just don't have.

My brother-in-law is a retired police officer, and as a member of the fraternity, he is treated totally differently than the average "Joe."

As an aside, I used to put my hands open above the steering wheel as we were instructed to do while in the military to show with open hands that we were not armed, or a threat. I was stopped for an inop brake light off-base, and when the cop saw this he got really suspicious, and after I explained why I do it, I was ordered to spread-eagle on the ground w/ my hands behind my back while he patted me down.

The fact that I didn't do what he expected (hands on the wheel) freaked him. Now, if stopped for any reason, I take off my sun glasses, open my window about 6" and remain perfectly still with both hands at the top of the wheel, and say "Good afternoon, officer," and await instructions. I hand over my CHL with my driver's license and explain that I am not carrying. I never volunteer information, and remain pleasant and compliant. Police officers have a tough job, and given the spate of officer involved shootings lately, are clearly concerned for their safety, and the LAST thing i want to do is set him off.

I am NOT against having a pistol in my RV (not accessible to the driver) in states where it's legal. I've never had to use a firearm for protection (even from bears in Alaska), but I admit it DOES provide a bit of added confidence. While in my TV, however, I see the police as a greater threat than thugs.

Edited by Bobinyelm, 25 July 2015 - 04:26 PM.

• MGD likes this

#18 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Local time: 05:09 PM
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 25 July 2015 - 04:22 PM

Also turn your dome light on if it's nighttime...... I don't blame police officers for being jumpy.....with all the chanting for dead cops who can blame them

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#19 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 25 July 2015 - 05:03 PM

"A kind word and a big revolver."

Works for me.

:)

"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#20 Southern Comfort

Southern Comfort
  • Casita Club Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:06 AM

Curious, I revisited older threads. Found this quote by a former LEO."I never walk out the door without one" and that people are delerious depending on 911. Well I agree and my eyes have not been opened to anything I did not already know. Like I said, I carry one in the camper unloaded and even then would not carry it thru California or New York. For sure not Canada. Some states forbid loaded long guns as well in the vehicle. Some law enforcemet do not respect you right to carry one even though they are well aware of the need.           Just don't want to be this guy

#21 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:23 AM

Don't guess. Be sure. Buy yourself some peace of mind with the TRAVELER'S GUIDE. (I have no financial interest in that publication.)

A concealed weapons permit usually means just that: concealed. Having a CCW does not allow a person to open carry. This differs by state— which is why you need an authoritative source. In a state that allows open carry, with or without a permit, you should be OK with a visible handgun on your person. If we self-censor ourselves because we might meet up with an ill-informed or abusive LEO we are debasing the rule of law and creating a de facto totalitarian state.

• kpiercec8 likes this

#22 Southern Comfort

Southern Comfort
  • Casita Club Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:31 AM

"Debasing the rule of law and creating a defacto totalitarian state" That sounds like a quote from our founding fathers and if not, you are a gifted wordsmith. I understand that protection of freedom is a doubled edged sword. The homedland security act is the most recent debate. Maybe I just live in an area where the totalitarian state is established. Perhaps I need to move. I believe the video is from Florida which has no need to inform law. Riding in a vehicle with it holstered and his shirt hiding is not open carry IMHO. My personal experience has led me not to trust the police, but I am certainly not anti police. I support them for what they are supposed to do. Shootings on the news everyday. Maybe it is the totallitarian state that is entered into a war already. If I am shot for carrying a firearm, it will be refered to as killed by friendly fire. BANG!!!!!!!!!! I am dead............ No argument there........... Just saying, I don't want to be that guy. I even sold my assault rifles. With Obama in the White House, I got a ton of money for them. Now the challenge is to buy ammo for the guns I have left. I kept a couple that are not " assault rifles" just because of the way they look but shoot the same bullets and are just as deadly. Everything put together even with the assault rifles is just chump change compared to one RPG thru the front door by the defacto totalitarian state. I heard this said the other by some comiedian, Jay Leno I think, about some other country forming a constitution. Why don't we just give them ours, it worked great for over 200 yrs. and we are not using it anymore.

• Joe Z likes this

#23 C.FiberglassFreedom

C.FiberglassFreedom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 253 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD, 17

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:34 PM

Living up to that name  :wow:

#24 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts
  • Local time: 06:09 PM

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:23 PM

Also turn your dome light on if it's nighttime...... I don't blame police officers for being jumpy.....with all the chanting for dead cops who can blame them

Yes, indeed! Let there be light.

A friendly, compliant, and soothing voice is probably good, too.

And if you have tinted windows, open them for sure. At night, even legally tinted windows can appear very dark.

Nothing is scarier than walking up to a car with blacked out windows wondering who is in there, and what their intentions are.

As much as police attitudes and training have changed to be more swat-like, unfortunately a small element of our society

is adversarial with law enforcement. I watch British TV shows, and for the most part cops are very civilized and pleasant

as long as their "subjects" are likewise. Different culture. Some will say it's because of strict gun laws there, but even where

we have them here (like Chicago, Philly, NYC, etc.), the bad guys disobey them routinely.

I don't mean to steer the thread away from its original subject, but it's a complex subject, and even if something is perfectly legal

doesn't necessarily mean it's the smartest thing to do.

Peace!

#25 jwpark

jwpark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 169 posts
  • Local time: 07:09 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2012 16ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:canoeing, kayaking, camping, web design

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:22 PM

"He might have been 'right' but now he's dead right."

A Penny for Your Thoughts

By Nancy Williams

jwpark

Edited by jwpark, 26 July 2015 - 04:23 PM.

#26 graham

graham
  • Casita Club Member
  • 52 posts
  • Local time: 07:09 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Liberty
  • Interests:Reading, gardening, yoga, massage, cycling, hiking

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:30 PM

Is there a difference in having a firearm in the trailer versus in the TV? 

Graham

#27 Southern Comfort

Southern Comfort
  • Casita Club Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:37 PM

Trailer vs. T.V.? big difference.........your money would be well spent buying the book if you travel pack'n'. Detour around any state or D.C. that requires registration of firearms. There are a few. Legal but not the smartest thing to do and right but dead right, Wow, 2 great comments to end this thread on. It is a personal choice but just know what you are getting yourself into.

#28 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:31 PM

"... it's a complex subject, and even if something is perfectly legal

doesn't necessarily mean it's the smartest thing to do."

You're certainly right. It's not illegal to beg and plead and grovel, but it's probably not the smartest thing to do.

#29 The Walkers

The Walkers
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 13 posts
  • Local time: 01:09 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Freedom

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:28 PM

Well, I was gonna carry my little AR7 survival rifle. It fits so nice into the plastic buttstock, and I can get it out and assembled in under a minute. It's semiauto so I figure 7 rounds plus another available mag should dissuade any unfriendly critter. Or should I just bring the 12 guage pump?😕

Edited by The Walkers, 29 July 2015 - 09:31 PM.

• The Walkers likes this

#30 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:17 AM

What you choose to carry, if anything, in the way of a firearm when you travel/camp depends on many different factors.

The likelihood that you will have to defend yourself against an animal is extremely remote, especially if you are the kind of traveler who stays mostly at RV parks. If you were in such a place and felt threatened by, for example, a rabid skunk, raccoon, or coyote you should make an effort to contact the management and let them handle the problem. Discharging a firearm within an RV park is almost certain to get you in trouble with local law enforcement and probably rightly so. A night in jail, or worse, is highly likely.

If you mostly boondock then you have a little more leeway, but even so actually using your firearm is always a last resort. 

IMO the best all-around defensive firearm is a short-barreled (18” is the federal legal limit) 12-gauge pump-action shotgun. This is a formidable weapon that can handle anything North America is able to throw at you. It is also a relatively economical solution. The biggest drawback of a shotgun is that it usually resides in your vehicle or in the trailer and is thus not readily available in case it is needed quickly. Emergencies tend to come quickly and without much warning. (By the way, many states, particularly in the West, allow you to carry a loaded rifle in your vehicle, but NOT a shotgun. You should also be clear about when your Casita legally becomes a residence instead of a vehicle. This differs greatly with jurisdictions.) A very common tale recounts that the sound alone of a pump-shotgun being racked is enough to strike fear in the hearts of Bad Guys. Maybe. I wouldn’t count on it.

Handguns are the universal best-choice for at-the-ready defensive use. But no one is born with handgun skills. These must be taught, learned, practiced, and in-grained. This is time consuming and expensive. If it’s worth it to you, go for it. But go for it seriously and do not fool yourself about how ‘easy’ it will be. Men are particularly prone to self-deception about their abilities. ‘I’m a guy! I just naturally know about this stuff.’ This is usually delusional. Women are far more realistic about this sort of thing. When I was teaching firearm self defense I always preferred the female students. They came to class with no need to prove themselves as ready-made gunfighters as so many males did. As a result they often became very good shots and responsible gun-owners long before the guys did. 

The little AR7 is a pretty good choice for a general purpose ‘camp rifle.’ I would not like to have to rely on it as a self-defense weapon. Perhaps the best solution would be to take it AND the shotgun.

Here are some questions you need to know the answer to, depending on your choice of firearm…

Can I have a loaded weapon in my vehicle? What kind is legal? Where does it have to be? If I am stopped by a police officer, must I inform him that I am armed or have a weapon in my vehicle? Is my state’s concealed weapons permit honored by the state I am going to, or passing through? Can I take my handgun into a restaurant that serves alcohol? Is open carry allowed? 

Can you answer these questions?

These and many other essential questions are answered by THE TRAVELERS GUIDE TO THE FIREARMS LAWS OF THE FIFTY STATES, mentioned earlier. I have NO connection with the author or publisher of this fine book— although I have made suggestions of items that should be included in it. I cannot understand why ANYONE contemplating taking a firearm along on a road trip would not spend the $15 to be safe and knowledgeable about something that could cost you thousands of dollars and maybe some jail time. It makes no sense not to have that information at your fingertips. 

I hope this has been somewhat helpful.