76 replies to this topic

#1 The Walkers

The Walkers
  • Casita Club Member
  • 13 posts
  • Local time: 07:22 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Freedom

Posted 24 July 2015 - 05:21 AM

I am always slightly concerned about 2 & 4 legged critters when traveling and usually pack a small 22 rifle with me just in case. Anybody else go armed out into the wilderness??

#2 Nbolson

Nbolson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 07:22 AM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:44 AM

I always have at least a handgun when I travel.
  • sandyb12 likes this

#3 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Local time: 11:22 PM
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:34 AM

I recommend that anyone thinking about carrying a firearm in their trailer, their vehicle, or on their person get a copy of this book...

THE TRAVELERS GUIDE TO THE FIREARMS LAWS OF THE FIFTY STATES.

It is updated every year and is researched and written by an attorney. 

It is available here...

http://www.gunlaws.com/travel.htm

Don't make assumptions about what the law is. Your assumption could put you behind bars.

And finally, you could save some money by using the on-line sites that provide this information. My personal experience with them is mixed. I have found many errors on these sites and this is a topic where you don't want ANY errors.

Just my 2¢.

• Leehman Wexlin, sandyb12 and llfalcon like this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#4 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 994 posts
  • Local time: 02:22 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 17' SD
  • Interests:Travel, photography

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:13 AM

I do not. I have my FL CCL and target shoot regularly .22 rifle and revolver, more as a hobby than personal protection. Lots of states have reciprocal agreements concerning the FL CCL BUT sometimes I pass through states without those agreements and having a firearm with me could mean big trouble. I look at it from the point of view that IF I was in an accident, the police found a firearm that could be bad news, not relating to the accident itself but as an extra problem. Frankly I think a .22 is more likely to anger whatever/whoever you shot than make them stop. I suppose if it is bolt action and someone heard you slide the bolt they might hesitate, but they might also call your bluff. A critter wouldn't care. 

I do carry pepper spray when out and about by myself in certain situations and also have a canister of bear spray I've been known to carry. I see that as much less likely to cause a problem than using a gun. And if you carry you must be prepared to use it or it can be used against you. 

I've traveled all around this country solo and up into AK, very seldom ever had a concern for personal safety and if I did I took precautions. I don't stay where I am uncomfortable, I do not go hiking alone or even with someone else where bears are known to be. Yes, I may miss out on some spectacular scenery but I can't do what I'm not comfortable with. 

When my brother was driving big trucks years ago he was told to carry & have ready a fire extinguisher.... you know what that could do to someone? He did and it did come in very handy once for him. Right beside my trailer door is a fire extinguisher. Carrying a rifle, shotgun or fire extinguisher when I take a walk, go out to do photography is sort of impractical so I do what is more practical and comfortable for me. 

The decision whether or not to carry is a very personal one and there is an extremely long thread about personal protection in this forum, I think the Solo section, you can do a search for it and read on and on and on. 

• sandyb12 likes this
Jean
2000 SD 17'
2011 Silverado w/Prodigy BC
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much (and take lots of photos along the way)
www.jeanclarkphotography.com
www.borderbrae.wordpress.com

#5 watraveler

watraveler
  • Casita Club Member
  • 380 posts
  • Local time: 10:22 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Sprit Deluxe
  • Interests:Vintage postcard collecting, antiques, fly fishing, camping, photography.

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:13 AM

We carry bear spray and a fire extinguisher, but only for the two legged variety.  We don't want the responsibility of a firearm.  You know, in all our years of tent and rv camping we have only had a couple of occasions where we might have felt safer with a weapon but in both of those situations, brandishing a firearm might have provoked the individuals.  In both situations, they were drunk and very rowdy.   What we did, was pulled up camp and moved.......end of story.  If it looks like an unsafe place to camp or your prospective neighbors have that look, you should just move on.  You will know it when you see it.  As you pass through the campground and that perfect site is right next door to someone with empty beer cans laying all around and discarded trash everywhere.

• Carol Christensen, sandyb12 and SoloMatt like this

#6 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 782 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:46 AM

This topic has been beaten to death several times over.

http://www.casitaclu...firearms/page-1

http://www.casitaclu...and-guns/page-1

http://www.casitaclu...otection/page-1

And several other threads, but there all there for the curious.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#7 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,158 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 24 July 2015 - 12:09 PM

Yup. Always.

• sandyb12 likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"The roads of civilization are paved with the bones of horses."

#8 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts
  • Local time: 12:22 AM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:44 PM

Your chances of being prosecuted and put in jail for a firearms possession (even if you are legal to carry in all the surrounding states) makes it a better bet NOT to carry a firearm, and if confronted by bad guys, just beg for your life, and hand over your keys. Probably best to close your eyes and hope to convince them you can't ID them (if you could ID them, they have a greater reason to do you harm).

I am ALL for self defense, but perhaps the authorities pose a greater danger than the bad guys. There are relatively FEW people shot by bad guys in RVs, and LOTS of people who spend years in jail with mandatory sentencing for firearms violations.

Too bad the bad guys were not more afraid of the "law," but we honest people have good reason to respect the power of our overseers, if for no reason other than we have more to lose by breaking the law. I think of that poor lady who refused to put out her cigarette when order to by the Texas LEO, and she ended up pulled from her car, stun-gunned, and then dead in jail. Had she just said, "Yes sir, no sir, I am so sorry sir," she'd have gone home alive that night. The police officer was very nice until she showed a little "attitude." The he went nuclear. There's an object lesson there.

For anyone who wishes to carry, and hopefully stay on the right side of the law, this site is updated frequently and is reputed to be current. But even then, those carrying should be ready to be VERY compliant with law enforcement. It makes me a bit nervous when the LEO unsnaps his gun holster and approaches me with his hand on his firearm, and I have no reason not to say "yes sir," or "yes officer," (I used the word "sir" once and got an angry lecture that his title was "officer," and NOT "sir," so be respectful of their preference) and treat him like you are a child and he is your angry father, because that is their desired response (their training is to DOMINATE every situation for their own protection). Best not to talk back to either of those authority figures! Remember, people sometimes harm police officers, so he has reason to fear YOU and will act accordingly so he can go home to HIS family that night.

http://www.usacarry....ocity_maps.html

Edited by Bobinyelm, 24 July 2015 - 03:56 PM.

• RichB59 and sandyb12 like this

#9 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:34 PM

"...and if confronted by bad guys, just beg for your life, and hand over your keys. Probably best to close your eyes and hope to convince them you can't ID them (if you could ID them, they have a greater reason to do you harm)."

This is sarcasm, right? 

We've been all thru this before. Let's not do it again. (Greg has given the references.)

• andy101 and oregonlavender like this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#10 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts
  • Local time: 12:22 AM

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:36 PM

Less sarcasm than you'd think.

I do think there are risks to carrying, just as there are risks from not carrying.

It's an individual decision, but I think it's only realistic to see the risks from both the bad guys, and the authorities, who often don't want anyone protecting himself, especially with firearms.

I posses a CHL, but I am not naive enough to think that just because my state recognizes my right to carry, and my demonstrated proficiency, that all LEOs appreciate that right and privilege, or see me as an "ally," which is what I'd LIKE to think. Some outright resent it, in fact. So it is reasonable to be informed and cautious. It's wise not to antagonize the authorities.

• sandyb12 likes this

#11 C.FiberglassFreedom

C.FiberglassFreedom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 253 posts
  • Local time: 02:22 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD, 17

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:41 AM

Always will be up to personal choice. I've seen it in person, a police officer draw on a group of teenagers for hanging around a movie theater and owning cell phones. It's just not worth it... law enforcement has made it clear in my personal experience they are the only 'good guys' whether that's true or not. The biggest lie I was told as a child was "The police are your friends." that simply is not true, in a single moment your independence, freedom and financial stability can be turned upside down by the actions of a "dominant" police officer.

I've also heard the "You'll address me as Officer Smith not sir!" speech before. In my experience law enforcement more times than not escalate a situation instead of de escalate a situation. Look at the instances of search and seizures on the interstates and highways where people lost money and property for simply driving too fast and being pulled over by the wrong officer.

Would I travel with a loaded readily available firearm? No. On top of everything else regarding travel it's just another added headache.

- Charlie
  • andy101 and SouthwestDude like this

#12 schatzie

schatzie
  • Casita Club Member
  • 222 posts
  • Local time: 01:22 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:42 AM

I always carry a 40 caliber Glock pistol and a 12 gauge shotgun with pistol grip.  The shotgun is in the Casita and the Glock is with me in the tow vehicle.  As a military veteran and a retired law enforcement officer (28 years), I have learned through experience not to trust or have faith in the humanity of outlaws and criminals.  I will protect myself, my family, and innocent victims, without  hesitation, to the very best of my ability.  I rely on God to have my back when the need arises.  He has never let me down. 

• RichB59, andy101 and SKYTALKER like this
Bob & Ginny Schattschneider
South Milwaukee, WI.
2009 Casita 17' SD
2004 Ford F-150 FX4

#13 SoloMatt

SoloMatt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 272 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13' PD

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:56 AM

I haven't had any experiences where I've missed having a gun but there have been several times when I was glad I didn't have one, lol! :)

Edited by SoloMatt, 25 July 2015 - 10:58 AM.

• MGD likes this

#14 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,158 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:08 PM

borderbrae, you are correct about the .22. Improperly handled, all it will do is hurt someone. I don't mean to inflame things, but if you're going to carry a handgun for protection, 'use enough gun'. One of my dearest friends is a police captain, having spent plenty of time on patrol. One time, as a rookie, he and his partner were called for a convenience store robbery. Two men came out shooting. At the time, my friend's weapon was an 'issue' .38. My friend managed to convince criminal number one to just lay down quietly. The other responding officer was faced with a charging criminal who was firing while running at him. He shot the man 9 TIMES and the guy kept coming. It literally ended up a wrestling match. And the shot up bad guy survived (and much later was shot dead in another robbery.) That's the things with criminals. They're cunning, but pretty damned stupid.

I've found that as I age, I'm no longer able to control my handgun of choice, the .357. So I"ve down graded to a Sig Sauer 9mm and hope to goodness I never have to use it. Ever, ever. During the Smith and Wesson "this-is-the-most-powerful-handgun-in-the-world" craze, I tried shooting a .44 Magnum. Thank god we were on a shooting range with miles and miles of nothing downrange.  My first round went I have no idea where except that it was forward.  The second round, the gun tried to hit me in the forehead. That's when I though, okay, it is too much gun for me. Oh, and it tore up the web of my hand. If I don't know where each and every round I fired is going, I'm not going to shoot it.

In my opinion, if you're looking for a weapon for home defense, get a shotgun. Handguns are notoriously hard to handle (accurately)especially when one is scared or andrenaline charged. 

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"The roads of civilization are paved with the bones of horses."

#15 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,440 posts
  • Local time: 01:22 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:15 PM

I wanted to get a punt gun...

10-punt-gun.jpg

...but the wife said she wouldn't help and I don't know where we would stow it.

• andy101 and MGD like this