#1 Fun Sized

Fun Sized
  • Casita Club Member
  • 33 posts
  • Local time: 02:46 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Fun Sized

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:20 AM

Hello Casita Club, I'm Frugal. Mrs. Frugal and I will be fully retiring within a year and have decided to purchase a small FGRV to take on extended vacations during retirement. Although we have only owned a tent in the past, we have experience with my dad's RVs from a tow behind to a land yacht diesel pusher. That experience has taught us that we prefer to purchase a land dingy FGRV.

I have been studying all of our alternatives on the internet and believe a Casita 17 Liberty Deluxe may fulfill our needs. But I've yet to see any FGRV in real life. My number one requirement is the ability to configure a king sized bed since I'm mid-6 ft tall. That requirement shortens the list of potential FGRVs very quickly. My tow vehicle is a 2014 V6 Frontier Crew Cab, so I shouldn't be limited by towing ability.

So there you have it. I live in the Tampa Florida area. If anyone would like to show off your Casita, I'd sure like to see inside some before I buy one. There were a couple for sale in my area, but they sold before I could see them.

I look forward to any assistance on searching for my Casita.

Mr. Frugal Ways

Edited by Frugal Ways, 13 July 2015 - 11:20 AM.

#2 teacher retired

teacher retired
  • Casita Club Member
  • 673 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Liberty/17

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:39 AM

Welcome Mr. And Mrs.Frugal,

We have a Liberty and have made the king bed up when our granddaughter camped with us.

I will address a couple of things you need to know based on what you said above. First, the 17' Casita head height is about 6'2". You don't spend a lot of time standing up in the trailer but my 6'4" friend has to bend when they visit us. Secondly, contact Casita and they will give you a list of owners in your area that will show you theirs. They may have a trailer but not be a member of the club to see your post. Thirdly, frontier owners will hopefully chime in here on towing packages but your truck needs to be able to tow 5000 lbs. You may need a WDH or sway bar. You can research Frontiers and towing packages on the site.

One other thing about the king bed arrangement, it takes up all of the bed area from the side of the sink/ refrigerator to the back wall. So, you have no existing dining space to sit at unless you take the bed up each morning. If you only use the Queen size, the little table and side benches allow you to keep your bed down and still have a dinette area.

Again, welcome. Sandy

Edited by teacher retired, 13 July 2015 - 11:45 AM.

• oregonlavender likes this

#3 Fun Sized

Fun Sized
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:52 AM

Thanks Sandy, I'm aware of the headroom issue.  But I like the idea of an easy towing Casita over a 19' Escape.  I had to duck in my dad's 37' Diesel Pusher!  I'd have to duck in a 19' Escape.  It sure would be nice if you could step into some of these.  I've contacted Casita, but they have not replied yet.

#4 teacher retired

teacher retired
  • Casita Club Member
  • 673 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Liberty/17

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:20 PM

Ok, if, you scroll to the top of the screen you will see "members map" in the blue bar two to the right of "forums". Click on that and according to Eileen's map there are 8 Casitas in the Tampa area. I am sure someone from Casita will contact you. But, you can see where they are located. Also, look for any rallies or get togethers might be within a comfortable drive. You can meet owners, see the different models, and get any questions answered. Good luck in your search. Sandy

#5 JU87g1

JU87g1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:22 PM

Hello all, I am a real newbie when it comes to RVs and I am reading everything I can to get myself up to speed. I started looking at the class B vans and then began considering towable RVs. I initially set my sights on air streams and casitas and I am really leaning towards the casita. It would be just my wife and I traveling but I think I would be using it solo quite a bit as well. I am considering a spirit delux loaded. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!!

#6 C.FiberglassFreedom

C.FiberglassFreedom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 253 posts
  • Local time: 03:46 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD, 17

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:25 PM

If you're ever in the Largo area I'd be happy to show off my Casita.  I have a 2013 Spirit Deluxe which is almost OEM with a few basic additions/modifications (So far!)

Suggestions for the 'loaded'  I looked long and hard and found my Casita finally on craigslist of all places. I decided against a few additions that you find on a lot of sales and my reasoning.  I wanted a casita with a gas furnace but without the added 25gal water supply, awning, and outdoor shower.  MY reasons are that with the awning I wanted to lose that added weight and I've seen far too many become damaged and damaging the trailer (usually human error) and instead for the fraction of repair/cost I am gonna buy a CLAM enclosure and regular sunshade.  I chose against the added water supply since for what I desire to do is boondock as much as I can it just isn't practical to hold that much water behind the axle as I am never gonna be able to fill it up full and go down some bumpy path (or shouldn't) instead I plan on keeping a few added BPA free water safe jugs/containers in my vehicle that way making it easy and ideal to resupply without hauling the whole trailer.  The outdoor shower simply doesn't meet my needs, I would have to modify the existing design and I just wouldn't use it!  Instead I'd use a solar shower or some gravity fed system.  

Tips for buying a new Casita... #1  GET DOWN AND DIRTY! meaning get underneath that trailer and check the copper propane lines (corrosion or damage) and the trailer for rust.  Rust is important as some is normal (mine has a few spots i'm painting) but I've seen some trailers almost BRAND new 2010-2012 from places like the great lakes and the weld joints look rusted through or the brakes are a mess etc.  #2  Pay the value of the trailer it is to you, now I don't mean pay 20K for a 10k trailer but I paid a little above what I had planned on but ended up with an almost new trailer that had been well taken care of and best yet was right outside my door no traveling 1200 miles to see it and buy it.  #3 if you have the option to buy new they really do hold their value  but expect that $24k to become $18k a short years later I've seen it happen.  I bought used and I have no regrets I figure once I'm ready to sell I'll at least get 80% of what I paid or all even but I do sometimes wish I had bought new from the ground up custom.

Airstream has some decent trailers back in the day, if you find one that's been fully remolded to current day upgrades I say go for it! But the last I checked a 17ft 2015 Bambi was going for $35,000 STOCK and the floor plans are terrible.  I've felt less cramped inside B class camper vans than I did inside the Bambi.  My opinion mind you but I'm a 5'11 man and did not feel comfortable inside one, besides that everything felt really low grade material wise.

I really do love the fiberglass... you wouldn't believe the attention these things get.  I've had 2 buy offers and a dozen random neighbors all over the neighborhood stop by and want to take a tour.  Everyone loves the 'cute shape' and 'minimalist' feeling.  

I bought my trailer before I bought my truck and I have no regrets on my decision.  My plans are to be living full-time and working/traveling across the United States.  I too considered all sort of RV's but when it came down to it I wanted to have a small efficient home without toting it around town so that narrowed it down to trailers.  Took me a long time to come across Casita's and I am so glad I did.

-Charlie

Edited by C.FiberglassFreedom, 13 July 2015 - 04:29 PM.

#7 JU87g1

JU87g1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:02 PM

Charlie, thanks for your input, it's truly appreciated. When I was in Afghanistan I lived in a 7' x 8' section in a canvas tent for a year and loved it. I like small spaces but my wife's idea of camping is staying at a holiday inn. I May have to get her use to the idea slowly. Any ladies out there that can provide their thoughts would be appreciated as well.

#8 RC39206

RC39206
  • Casita Club Member
  • 29 posts
  • Local time: 01:46 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:06 PM

Mr. Frugal Ways,

I am a newbie blessed with a 2015 17FT. Liberty Deluxe.  Have not taken a maiden voyage yet, working around the pt job.  I have the 2015 Casita catalogue and the approx. dry weight of a 17ft. LD is approx. 2480 lbs.  Approx. dry hitch weight is 365 lbs.  I pull with an 2008 Toyota Tundra so it is overkill but it is what I have.  I have a 2015 copy of Trailer Life Trailer Guide to towing and it says for a Frontier CC 2WD 4.0L V-6 tow rating is 6,300 and for a 4WD is 6,100.  A Frontier KC 2WD 4.0 V-6 is 6,300 and a 4WD is 6,100.  Don't know what your hitch is on your truck but if it has a towing package, it should have a 2" channel class 3 hitch, I believe, 7 round plug, brake controller hookup, hd battery and alternator, maybe tranny cooler.  The Toyota Tacoma trucks are rated 6,400 to 6,500 lbs. with a V-6.  Possibly could use a wdh if it squats the rear of your truck. If you have a four cylinder you don't have enough.  Even the medium size suv's with V-6s are only rated to tow 3500 lbs.  You don't have a lot of room to work with when you count the weight of the passengers and whatever you put in the bed.  I towed my trailer home from the factory (about 4-5 hours) and it towed like a dream.  Have had 22 to 25 ft. rv's and this is a dream.  Have fun with it.I plan too. Probably should go with the sway bar too. Rick

• Fun Sized likes this

#9 RC39206

RC39206
  • Casita Club Member
  • 29 posts
  • Local time: 01:46 PM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:41 PM

JU87g1;

Welcome to the club.  I am a newbie myself and just picked up a 17FT. Liberty Deluxe.  If you want a toilet, shower, sink, go with the deluxe model, if not go with the std. model.  A 16FT. has headroom of 5'!0".  A 17FT.  has 6'11/2".  You can see the three different floor plans at www.casitatraveltrailers.com. and all the accessories.  Rick

#10 Fun Sized

Fun Sized
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:26 AM

RC, Thanks for the towing information.  I have the 2014 V6 with tow package, 2" receiver and 6 way plug.  I just need to install a brake controller and I'm set for 6300#.  I knew I was well within the trucks limits with a fgrv, but thanks for the exact numbers.  Have fun with your Casita!  The egghunt is proving challenging.  I change my mind every fifteen minutes whether I want a new one or a used one.  I guess that means I just haven't found the "right" one yet.

#11 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,013 posts
  • Local time: 03:46 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 17' SD
  • Interests:Travel, photography

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:04 AM

There will be a gathering of a few Casitas at Salt Spring campground in Ocala NF for New Years, you would be welcome to stop by. There may be a Liberty model for you to check out there. 

• Fun Sized likes this
Jean
2000 SD 17'
2011 Silverado w/Prodigy BC
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much (and take lots of photos along the way)
www.jeanclarkphotography.com
www.borderbrae.wordpress.com

#12 yoyosma

yoyosma
  • Casita Club Member
  • 20 posts
  • Local time: 11:46 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Vegetable gardening, cooking, survivalists, art museums, taking care of ourselves so we can take lots of trips in new-to-us Casita.

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:54 AM

Husband and I use the same ID to sign in, but today it is I, the wife. As to persuading the wife to consider the Casita instead of Holiday Inn, remind her about the bedbug epidemic. Hotels do not wash their bedspreads or blankets very often, if at all. You have your own bed, your own stuff. You can still go out to eat, but you don't accidentally leave your pills or eyeglasses in a hotel room.
  • SoloMatt likes this

#13 SoloMatt

SoloMatt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 273 posts
  • Local time: 12:46 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:13' PD

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:59 AM

Holiday Inns are disgusting!

Welcome to the forum! :D

#14 Fun Sized

Fun Sized
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:31 AM

Borderbrae,  Thanks for the heads up.  I hope that my egghunt will be a distant memory by New Years! 

#15 Fun Sized

Fun Sized
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:50 PM

Just toured my first FOR SALE Casita!  It was an extremely clean 1996 SD in good shape for its age in my opinion.  Its for sale in St. Petersburg FL for $9000 on CL.  Pictures and contact here: http://tampa.craigsl...5122444256.html  The owners are really nice people and enjoyed showing me their Casita.  I told them up front I was looking for something newer, but they encouraged me to come look.  I was impressed with the SD model.  I liked the side table.  I fit "acceptably" tight in the double bed.  I fit a little less acceptably tight standing in a Casita, crouched but not like I had to get on my knees. Overall was impressed.  I'll bet it will sell fast to someone looking for a sub $10k Casita.  It was really CLEAN, but did show its age.