Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,464 posts
  • Local time: 03:55 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:52 AM

...but the reward will be soon be fresh veggies.

Attached File  2.jpg   76.4KB   2 downloads Attached File  3.jpg   66.21KB   1 downloads Attached File  4.jpg   64.74KB   1 downloads Attached File  1.jpg   67.81KB   0 downloads Attached File  5.jpg   41.76KB   1 downloads Attached File  6.jpg   66.61KB   1 downloads

• Leehman Wexlin and Meadowlark like this

#2 Dann and Karan

Dann and Karan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 244 posts
  • Local time: 02:55 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe- 16'

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:56 PM

Looks like your going to have a bumper crop of fresh veggies.

Karan.

#3 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,928 posts
  • Local time: 12:55 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 21 June 2015 - 02:57 PM

How do you keep the deer and rabbits away? My gardens look like prison camps.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#4 Us burros

Us burros
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,464 posts
  • Local time: 03:55 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 21 June 2015 - 06:19 PM

How do you keep the deer and rabbits away? My gardens look like prison camps.

The deer, of which we have too many, have never bothered our garden vegetation, even though I've seen tracks in the garden. Last year the rabbits ate the young bean plants and even bit off mature vines to the point we harvested very little. This year I purchased something similar to Liquid Fence Deer & Rabbit Repellent and have not had any critter damage.

Raccoons are my challenge. They love sweet corn and know exactly when it is almost ready for human consumption, so they "gather" it two days prior. I've used every defense imaginable including lights, noise makers, moving shiny things and electrified fencing, but their corn sweet-tooth spurs their ingenuity. Last year, prior to corn picking time, I trapped and hauled way away nine and so far this year I've captured five. But, there are more. I saw one this afternoon when I was mowing a pasture.

#5 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,928 posts
  • Local time: 12:55 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:05 PM

The deer got my bean plants last year. This year I've got the beans in a cloche behind a wire fence. A few years ago the rabbits were so bad I had a friend of mine bring his hunting hawk out (a Harris hawk/red tail hybrid) and boy howdy...the minute that hawk screamed there were rabbits EVERYWHERE, running for high country. (it was still a huge thrill to see that hawk hunting, even if he didn't score.).

I've had to trap rabbits, this year I trapped five and took them elsewhere. There's one big one that I"ve not had any luck trapping, and he's been working hard to get to my apple trees. We also have a barn owl box in our backyard that is occupied every year and this year I heard a baby rabbit screaming, so I know the owls get them, too. Great horned owls will take adult rabbits but the big bunnies are too much for a barn owl.

Coons, though.  Woof, they're Smart. They rifled my swallow boxes so badly last season that I got very few swallow babies. This year we put up metal bands around each bird box post and so far this has kept the raccoons from killing the hatchlings.  Have you considered putting up hot tape/hot wire around your corn patch? Do the coons turn on you when you open the live trap or do they just run?

I'll try the Liquid fence. I've never heard of it but I'll try it just to keep Mr. Bun Bun honest.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."