10 replies to this topic

#1 randynjill

randynjill
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 07:06 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:LD17

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:13 AM

When you are charging your battery do you need to have the converter in the on position? How do you keep the battery charged while in storage? 

• Tampa Rick likes this

#2 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,283 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:32 PM

randynjill,

Unless you are using some type of external battery charger, the short answer is yes. If the converter isn't on, then it will not charge the battery. Be sure to make a quick check to see that your breakers and fuses are all good and on as well.

As far as charging the battery while in storage, in brief, it isn't recommended to keep your battery on the converter's charger unattended for several weeks, (or months,) without checking that the water in each cell hasn't boiled down. You don't want the lead plates inside to ever be exposed to air. It will cause irreversible damage to the battery if you do. The "standard issue" Parallax converter/chargers installed in these trailers, (assuming yours doesn't have an upgraded aftermarket 4-stage converter,) are not "smart chargers". They won't drop their charging rates down to "float charge" level, and that can lead to overcharging which will ruin the battery too.

If you aren't planning on using the trailer for extended periods, I would suggest removing the positive, (black,) wire from the battery's + terminal. It isn't necessary to remove both. As an alternative, some folks install a battery cut-off switch as a convenience so they don't have to remove wires, just turn the switch on or off. I would suggest maybe running the charger overnight or for a few days each month just to keep it topped off.

Hope this helps.

Greg

Edited by Euphoria, 28 May 2015 - 07:39 AM.

• Tampa Rick likes this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#3 randynjill

randynjill
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:LD17

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for the info Greg. So you are saying that we need to have all of the switches on while charging? Also do they need to be on while we are driving? Thanks again, Jill

#4 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,283 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:28 AM

No, they don't all have to be on, just the ones you want or need to be. But, it really wouldn't hurt anything to just leave them on all the time unless you have a specific need to cut the power to something, (such as for maintenance, etc.,) but normally, I'd just leave them all on. You will need the breaker on for the converter power at the very least to charge the battery and run your 12 vdc loads. The 12 vdc side of the converter is supplied by the 120 vac side of it. The converter takes 120 vac (shore power) and creates 12 vdc from it for all your low voltage circuits (via the fuses,) in addition to supplying all your 120 vac loads, (via the circuit breakers.) This for when you are hooked up to shore power.

Now,if you are hooked up to your 7-Pin Bargman trailer connector, (as in towing,) then any charging will be done by your tow vehicle's alternator while the vehicle is running.

If you plan to be parked, (engine off,) and not charging on a shore power hook-up for more than a few hours, I would suggest unplugging the 7-Pin connector, or it will drain your tow vehicle's battery down too, (unless you have one of those automatic isolation cut-out switches which are found on some of the newer vehicles.) They would keep your tow vehicle's battery from being drained unless the ignition was on.

Edited by Euphoria, 28 May 2015 - 07:36 AM.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#5 RC39206

RC39206
  • Casita Club Member
  • 29 posts
  • Local time: 09:06 PM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:06 PM

Euphoria,

Seems like you know a lot about the electrical side of this trailer stuff so I wanted to run a question by you.  In my last 25 foot trailer, I had a 13,500 ac and I ran it with (2) Honda 2000 generators hooked together whenever I didn't hook up to shore power.  Worked fine.  I was just curious if I could run this ac with one of these as I thought I had read somewhere someone was using just one.  I have used both just checking  it out, then hooked it up to just one today.  Seemed to run ok with no problems.  Generator didn't sound any different and ac worked fine just curious if I was hurting the ac just using one generator.  Greatly appreciate  any info.  Brand new trailer, don't want to mess up anything.  Thanks.

#6 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 231 posts
  • Local time: 10:06 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:30 AM

Many people, myself included, run the 9200 btu AC on the Casita with a single Honda 2000 generator with no problems.

#7 RC39206

RC39206
  • Casita Club Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:29 AM

Can i run it in eco mode or should I leave it in regular mode?  Also have heard that you can run everything and the ac but you can't run the ac and the microwave at the same time.  Thanks for the info.

#8 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:50 AM

My AC runs fine on Eco-mode. The AC is rated at 1270 watts under normal conditions and 1550 watts under very hot conditions. The Honda 2000 is rated at 1600 watts continuous and 2000 watts surge, so if you are running the AC you can't simultaneously run some other high wattage appliance like a microwave.

#9 RC39206

RC39206
  • Casita Club Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:23 PM

Thanks so much for the info.  Really appreciate it. Just curious, The 13ft. and the 16ft.  seem to have smaller ac's in them.  They look like they would be a window unit for a house.  Wonder if you could plug them into 110v receptacle with the adaptor and they would run?  Also, would 110v be enough for the 17ft ac?

#10 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:09 AM

The AC on any Casita will run when plugged into 110.

#11 RC39206

RC39206
  • Casita Club Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:28 PM

flcoxjr:

Your knowledge is superb.  Thank you again for all the answers you have given me about the ac on the Casita.  For some reason, I did not find this info in the manuals that came with the Casita (or simply overlooked them).  I also have Eileen's cd and I read that you could use a generator or shore power but I thought that it would have to be an rv type set up with the 30 amp deal.  You have made everything so clear.  Happy Camping.  This group is what I hoped it would be, friendly and informative.  You have proved just that.