FloridaJohn
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 06:54 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Patriot 13
  • Interests:Enjoy camping, kayaking.
  • Trailer Name:Casita 2006 13' Patriot

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:34 PM

Just installed Optima 31 AGM Battery on my 2006 Patriot. Camper has Parallex 7300 Converter, have read somewhere that this converter could fry new agm battery when I'm plugged into shore power while camping. I use a "smart trickle charger" Batter Tender when camper is home,directly hooked up to battery, without plugging entire camper in while home. Should I install a battery cut-off switch to shut off battery while I'm plugged in at cmpgrnd to avoid frying my new agm battery?

Any advise is appreciated..

#2 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,100 posts
  • Local time: 04:54 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:32 PM

Yes to the battery switch, and please don't leave it on a Battery Tender charger for "maintaining" it. I would recommend not using it for "maintenance" charging, particularly on a sensitive AGM battery. A lot of people think that this "trickle charger," (and it isn't "smart" either,) will be just fine, but what many folks don't seem to grasp is that they are also continuous chargers, in so much, that they do not turn off or self-regulate. They will continue to charge until your new AGM battery is ruined if left unattended.

Also, the charging circuitry in a Parallax 7300 is not a "smart charger" either, and likewise, your battery needs to be monitored during use with this device as well. Extended periods of time charging on the Parallax will also contribute to the early demise of your new battery if left unattended.

I would hate to see you ruin your new battery like this by trusting either of these chargers for extended periods of time. AGM's are very finicky, and extremely susceptible to damage from overcharging, which is the worst thing you can do to any battery.

• FloridaJohn likes this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#3 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,423 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:47 AM

Yes to the battery switch, and please don't leave it on a Battery Tender charger for "maintaining" it. I would recommend not using it for "maintenance" charging, particularly on a sensitive AGM battery. A lot of people think that this "trickle charger," (and it isn't "smart" either,) will be just fine, but what many folks don't seem to grasp is that they are also continuous chargers, in so much, that they do not turn off or self-regulate. They will continue to charge until your new AGM battery is ruined if left unattended.

Also, the charging circuitry in a Parallax 7300 is not a "smart charger" either, and likewise, your battery needs to be monitored during use with this device as well. Extended periods of time charging on the Parallax will also contribute to the early demise of your new battery if left unattended.

I would hate to see you ruin your new battery like this by trusting either of these chargers for extended periods of time. AGM's are very finicky, and extremely susceptible to damage from overcharging, which is the worst thing you can do to any battery.

tell me if i'm doing ok by my battery. i hook the casita up to electric a couple of days at a time when i'm home, then disconnect it for a few days, i reconnect to electricity when i see my battery tender shows a drop of battery charge to 50 %. i'm a low tech person, don't have a trickle charger, battery cut off, anything like that. i've done this since i bought the casita feb 1, 2014 and battery seems to be functioning well. what say the experts on this technique?

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#4 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:50 PM

Hi Claire,

First, allowing any battery to discharge to 50% is not good. I would discourage allowing it to drop to more than 25%. This is a valid point for all types of batteries, and allowing it to discharge to that level is one of the worst things that you can do to a battery. But actually, the WORST thing you can do to a battery is to overcharge it.

Hooking up to "shore power" and charging your battery via the converter's built in charger for a few days now and then is fine, but even then I would keep an eye on your water levels every few weeks to make sure the water in the cells hasn't dropped below the level of the top of the lead plates. You don't want the tops of the lead plates to be dry, because this will destroy your battery through a process called "sulfation," which isn't a good thing to have happen, and will shorten the life of your battery.

Now, another story, in your question you make reference to a battery tender...I'm not sure if your are using an actual Battery Tendertm (as in the brand name,) but if you are, please be advised that it is a trickle charger, and these little units, (although they are low current trickle chargers,) are non-the-less continual chargers. In other words, they don't regulate or alter their charging currents to reflect the charge level that the battery is at. They will continue to charge, low and slow, until your battery is fried if you leave it hooked up for extended periods of time. They are not, in any way, what you would call "smart chargers." In fact, they can actually be quite destructive little chargers if they are left hooked up for extended periods of time. Many a good battery has met an early demise while hooked up to one of these chargers without regular monitoring. 

I hope this helps to clarify that those little chargers aren't as safe as one would like them to be.

Greg

Edited by Euphoria, 18 April 2015 - 09:53 PM.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#5 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,423 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 19 April 2015 - 05:06 AM

thanks greg, sounds like i need to recharge the battery when it is 25% discharged instead of 50% and check the water levels more frequently. i don't know what the device is that i have, it's not a battery tender, it simply plugs in to the plug at the tv area inside the casita and monitors how much charge the battery has. many of my casita friends have the same device.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#6 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:43 AM

OK, that's not a charger, as I had described earlier. It is a voltage monitor and it won't cause any harm. It just tells you how your battery is doing. I have one too.

• clairemr1 likes this

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#7 FloridaJohn

FloridaJohn
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Patriot 13
  • Interests:Enjoy camping, kayaking.
  • Trailer Name:Casita 2006 13' Patriot

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:52 AM

2006 Casita 13 Patriot:    Installed Optima Blue Top 31 AGM Battery

Installed Blue Seas Battery Cut-Off Switch (Converter in Patriot is Paralex 7000 Series)

Just order Optima Multi-Stage Battery Charger/Maintainer designed for AGM Batteries     http://www.optimabat...roducts/charger

Should solve battery acess/maintance issue in the Patriot. 

FLJohn

• SoloMatt likes this

#8 BillG

BillG
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13'
  • Interests:Reading, bird watching, rock hounding, fishing if I'm hungry, napping
  • Trailer Name:Tumbleweed

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:45 AM

Is there a problem with connecting a solar panel to the front of the Electrical Panel at the Battery-Pos and Battery-Neg terminals?

Thanks for any thoughts