• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Skierr

Skierr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Local time: 01:52 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:liberty deluxe 17
  • Interests:Outdoors anything, camping, fishing, backpacking, skiing, travel and reading.

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:17 PM

New owner attempting to check out the frig.  Got the trailer level but a bubble level in freezer is way off.  What is correct???  Any suggestions before I start it up?

#2 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,013 posts
  • Local time: 05:52 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 17' SD
  • Interests:Travel, photography

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:57 PM

You have it level both ways, right, front to back and side to side? Once I've got that settled I just start the fridge up. I've never (over 6.5 years) put a level inside the fridge or freezer. I do use a little remote sensor with a readout so I can find out the temp in the fridge. though. You can get that for about $10 at Walmart. Some folks carry the sensor in their TV but I leave mine in the rack above the kitchen sink, just check it whenever I stop and go into the trailer. If the temp starts rising it my indicate the gas has blow out or the tank is empty (I need to switch to the other tank). 

Jean
2000 SD 17'
2011 Silverado w/Prodigy BC
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much (and take lots of photos along the way)
www.jeanclarkphotography.com
www.borderbrae.wordpress.com

#3 tractors1

tractors1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 424 posts
  • Local time: 02:52 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:ex-LD17, Escape21 now
  • Interests:Scuba diving, old tractors, woodworking

Posted 12 April 2015 - 03:56 PM

Dometic spec is within 7 degrees of level for the fridge. Usually getting the trailer level is enough, you may want to verify that Casita didn't put your trailer level on crooked, which does happen. I'd level using the floor, then compare where the trailer bubble levels are - make new marks on them for future reference, or add some really level levels..................

Charlie Y

• Leehman Wexlin likes this

ex-owner LD17, Escape 21 now
2013 Tacoma V6 4dr 4wd long bed

Need a widget to hold your stuff?

Don't drill holes!
http://www.rvwidgetworks.com

#4 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:19 PM

Seven degrees kinda tells me it's not all that important.  I seem to remember reading somewhere that it's not as crucial as it use to be with older refrigerators. 7 degrees is you would feel standing or walking in your trailer I would think.

2014 17' Casita SD

#5 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,044 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:31 PM

I use a level on the belly band.......check side to side first.......then do the front to rear.........takes only a minute.  I also run my frig on propane most of the time.....even when driving.  Never have had a problem.  Safe travels!!!!

• NASA42 B likes this

#6 Skierr

Skierr
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:liberty deluxe 17
  • Interests:Outdoors anything, camping, fishing, backpacking, skiing, travel and reading.

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:54 AM

Good advise, thanks all.

#7 Ron B.

Ron B.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 435 posts
  • Local time: 03:52 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1996 Spirit Deluxe 16'
  • Interests:Honda Ridgeline RTL/Nav
    Love the outdoors. Nature and spending time with my wife and dog give me pleasure. I may have cancer but, cancer doesn't have me...
    Good music is a plus and true friends are priceless.

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:13 AM

I use a level on the belly band.......check side to side first.......then do the front to rear.........takes only a minute.  I also run my frig on propane most of the time.....even when driving.  Never have had a problem.  Safe travels!!!!

We have used our refrigerator while traveling to the camp site however only on 12V. It is against the law in Texas and most states to operate the refrigerator on propane while on the highway. A gas station not too far from us had a fire due to someone being close to a pump when they were filling up their TV. The flame ignited the gas fumes and when the person pulled the gasoline nozzle out of the gas tank filler neck, gas shot out onto the TV and ground. Gasoline got on the TV wheel and tire and also under the TV. The nozzle did not go off and gasoline was pouring out all over the place. Needless to say, the TV, trailer and pump were all damaged. We saw the vehicles parked by the station and asked what happened and we were told the propane refrigerator caused the fire. It was on the local news for several days.

I don't remember where we were at the time but, we saw a sign at a gas station and it said to not fill up your vehicle if you had a propane refrigerator in operation in your trailer.  It said it was state law and punishable by a fine to operate any such device while getting gasoline...

As far as being level, we just level our Casita when we get to the site and have always used it on 115V. I guess one day, I need to see if it will run on propane. It has always either been on 12V or 115V.

#8 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:47 AM

We have used our refrigerator while traveling to the camp site however only on 12V. It is against the law in Texas and most states to operate the refrigerator on propane while on the highway. A gas station not too far from us had a fire due to someone being close to a pump when they were filling up their TV. The flame ignited the gas fumes and when the person pulled the gasoline nozzle out of the gas tank filler neck, gas shot out onto the TV and ground. Gasoline got on the TV wheel and tire and also under the TV. The nozzle did not go off and gasoline was pouring out all over the place. Needless to say, the TV, trailer and pump were all damaged. We saw the vehicles parked by the station and asked what happened and we were told the propane refrigerator caused the fire. It was on the local news for several days.

I don't remember where we were at the time but, we saw a sign at a gas station and it said to not fill up your vehicle if you had a propane refrigerator in operation in your trailer.  It said it was state law and punishable by a fine to operate any such device while getting gasoline...

As far as being level, we just level our Casita when we get to the site and have always used it on 115V. I guess one day, I need to see if it will run on propane. It has always either been on 12V or 115V.

Can't speak for Texas but running on propane is legal in most states.  I personally have found the refrig. is much colder when on propane so that is my preference.  I would guess that there are more RVers running on propane than not when traveling.  Probably a good idea to turn off while refueling but....I bet many do not.  There are some who say propane could be dangerous if you get in an accident but.......so is the 30 gallons of gasoline in my truck.  Whatever you choose to do......please be safe.

• albinwerner likes this

#9 albinwerner

albinwerner
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' FREEDOM DLX
  • Interests:driving and restoring our Model T (25' Touring), green lawns and a 'help mete' to my wife .... and camping, especially at Jedediah Smith State/National Park (N. CA.)
  • Trailer Name:"Miss Louista"

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:58 AM

HOLY SMOKES!  We pick up the FB on may 28th and the info that you provide is invaluable!!  I read EVERY DAY! :unsure: 

#10 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,435 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:36 AM

Can't speak for Texas but running on propane is legal in most states.  I personally have found the refrig. is much colder when on propane so that is my preference.  I would guess that there are more RVers running on propane than not when traveling.  Probably a good idea to turn off while refueling but....I bet many do not.  There are some who say propane could be dangerous if you get in an accident but.......so is the 30 gallons of gasoline in my truck.  Whatever you choose to do......please be safe.

gotta agree with ron b on this one. the dometic instructions that came with my casita clearly say to run the refrigerator on 12 V while enroute. upon arrival at your destination, switch to either electric if camping with hook ups or propane if boondocking. i ran that way all last year and will continue to do so. i cool the fridge down for at least 24-48 hrs on electric at the house before leaving on a trip and switch to the 12 V as the last thing i do before i leave.i will agree, though, that the propane option is the most efficient for my fridge too. happy camping, claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#11 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:50 PM

gotta agree with ron b on this one. the dometic instructions that came with my casita clearly say to run the refrigerator on 12 V while enroute. upon arrival at your destination, switch to either electric if camping with hook ups or propane if boondocking. i ran that way all last year and will continue to do so. i cool the fridge down for at least 24-48 hrs on electric at the house before leaving on a trip and switch to the 12 V as the last thing i do before i leave.i will agree, though, that the propane option is the most efficient for my fridge too. happy camping, claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

Not arguing......lots of ways to do things.  If it works for you......glad to hear it.  I am gonna stick with propane like many others.....just a personal choice.  Safe travels to all.

#12 tractors1

tractors1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 424 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:04 PM

I had a Dometic fridge in a 1985 rig that had a tow vehicle ignition tie-in, so when on propane it wouldn't ignite for 12 minutes after the ignition on the tow vehicle was turned off, specifically for refueling safety. Never did figure out why it was 12 minutes...............

Don't drill holes!

#13 SoloMatt

SoloMatt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 273 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13' PD

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:23 PM

finally got that bad boy running on AC power when I have hookups and I love it. Why use my propane when I can use the park's power, even if it is only a small amount of propane.  Now, for en route... i do not use the Casita fridge.  I use the fridge/freezer in my tow vehicle. I can't handle the thought of walking into my Casita after a long day's tow and finding a quart of half and half on the rug.....  :blink:  :wacko:

#14 tractors1

tractors1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 424 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:41 PM

finally got that bad boy running on AC power when I have hookups and I love it. Why use my propane when I can use the park's power, even if it is only a small amount of propane.  Now, for en route... i do not use the Casita fridge.  I use the fridge/freezer in my tow vehicle. I can't handle the thought of walking into my Casita after a long day's tow and finding a quart of half and half on the rug.....  :blink:  :wacko:

LOL, you need a Spill Catcher tray.............

http://www.rvwidgetw...to-Gallery.html

Often get orders after the spilled milk has run out the door and onto the carpet.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes!

#15 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,435 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:30 AM

gotta love it. we kind of hijacked this thread. to answer the original question, i just level side to side first then front to back second using the levelers that came on the casita. never have had a bit of trouble running the fridge when the trailer is fairly level. i don't even always get it 100% level either, and fridge does fine. never heard of a leveler in the freezer itself. that's a new one on me

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host