• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gnawbonejack

Gnawbonejack
  • Casita Club Member
  • 13 posts
  • Local time: 11:38 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe, 17'
  • Interests:Canoe tripping the Boundary Waters, fishing the Cumberland River and traveling

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:43 AM

We're heading to Sedona in early May for a wedding and wondered if there was a prefered route to travel to and from. We've looked at heading to Arkansas from Indiana and then drift southwest to I-10 for a route into Arizona. We've reserved a campsite in the Grand Canyon on the way home and have been told not to miss Palo Duro Canyon outside Amarillo. That said, we'd like to follow a more northern route coming back to southern Indiana. Any suggestions or advice?

#2 Jean and Fred Dively

Jean and Fred Dively
  • Casita Club Member
  • 84 posts
  • Local time: 11:38 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 LD 17

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:23 PM

If you are going near Memphis you might want to consider Tom Sawyer RV Park in West Memphis, AR,  It is right on top of the levy by the mississippi river.  The whole time that you are there you can see the river barges going past your sight.

Also, River View RV Park in Vadalia, La is similar.  The view of the river is not as good as Tom Sawyer but the park is clean and nice.  The bath/shower rooms are very nice too.

Have a great trip and enjoy your Casita.

Fred

#3 Dennis

Dennis
  • Casita Club Member
  • 13 posts
  • Local time: 08:38 PM

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:57 PM

If your desire is to head home from the Canyon I would recommend highway 160 to Walsenburg Colorado. Don't forget to stop at the Cameron Tradeing post after you leave the East side of the Canyon. At Kayenta you can go north thru part of the monument valley via 163 which reconnect with 160 in Colorado, or going straight you can be in four states at the same time at Four Corners and then continue to Dorango CO. (United campground is a  pleasant stop).  From that base a trip on the train or backtracking to Mesa Verde NP are both day trips.The drive on to Walsenburg is scenic and not fast thru several interesting towns you have probably heard of. Highway 10 and then 50 get you into KS and that state isfull of intersing Byways.    Hope you enjoy your trip thru the southwest and don't forget to walk below the rim at the Grand Canyon -----------------Dennis

Desert Viking

#4 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:55 AM

Pretty country around Sedona. If only the number of people could be reduced by about 90%. The town itself seemed to me to be Santa Fe on hip, modern, PC- steroids.

"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#5 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:55 AM

Pretty country around Sedona. If only the number of people could be reduced by about 90%. The town itself seemed to me to be Santa Fe on hip, modern steroids.

Attached Thumbnails

• redrock country.jpg

• sandyb12 likes this

#6 Dennis

Dennis
  • Casita Club Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:42 AM

If your plans are to enter Arizona via I-10 and Tucson, you might consider visiting the Saguaro National Park, East side.  Exit 275 North (Houghton Rd)  7miles north and 2 miles east. The Mission at San Xavier is also an interesting side trip, Just south of Tucson on I-19.

Desert Viking

#7 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:36 AM

Another not-to-miss spot is the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum (I think they call  it the Arizona Desert Museum now). Right near Old Tucson just west of Tucson itself.