• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ritchier

ritchier
  • Casita Club Member
  • 46 posts
  • Local time: 01:41 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Traveling the USA enjoying God's beauty, working on our bucket lists.

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:17 PM

I will order a 17' SD or FD after I see the swivel chairs in the FD this coming Sunday.  My TV is a Ram 1500 Hemi with a 2" square receiver and the 7 pin round power hookup, What else do I need to properly tow my trailer?  Am I supposed to have a hitch when I pick up the trailer? The Casita brochure lists a friction anti-sway bar for $79, but there is nothing on a hitch.   Is the hitch included when you buy a new trailer?  I doubt it.   I have seen on this forum in the past discussions about a WDH, which sounds good, but I need to know more.  What is the best hitch for my situation and where is the best place to purchase one? 

#2 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 234 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:18 PM

If you are going to the Casita factory in Rice, they will answer all your questions. I have ordered a 17' SD that I will pick up in March. On the bottom of the invoice it states that for 13' and 16' trailers a hitch rated at 3500lb with a 300lb tongue load is required. For 17' trailers it states a hitch rated at 5000lb with a 500lb tongue load is required.

You indicated your tow vehicle has the 7 pin connector, and a 2" square receiver, so you have some kind of a hitch. Check your manual for capacities. As far as the ball mount to fit the square receiver, Casita told me they would sell me an appropriate one when I pick up the trailer. They need to get the proper amount of drop or rise for each specific vehicle so that the trailer is level when hooked up. If you get the anti-sway bar option, they will also weld a smaller ball (I think it is 1 inch) to the side of the ball mount for attaching the anti-sway bar.

I can't advise you about a WDH. I have a Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner TRD Off-Road with tow package, and do not intend to install a WDH based on other peoples experience with this vehicle.

You will also need a brake controller for the electric trailer brakes. I got the Tekonsha P3, but there are other options. The tow package on my tow vehicle included a pre-wired 7 pin connector with a connector under the dash for the controller. I was able to order the brake controller with a wiring harness that plugged into the connector under the dash.

Edited by flcoxjr, 10 February 2015 - 05:31 PM.

#3 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 09:41 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:48 PM

With that size Tow Vehicle I think the Sway bar should be adequate.  There are different opinions on this as you'll probably find out.  Start with the Sway bar.  If you think you need the WDH later on you can get one.  As previously mentioned a brake controller and attaching wire harness will be needed.  The one mentioned is a good one.  etrailer.com will have brake controller package with both specifically for your truck.  Call truck dealer or go on line to find out where the attaching controller wires are.  Mine were under the dash on the drivers side.  (Toyota Tundra)  You should make sure your 7 pin is working.

You can do that with voltmeter.  Casita will make sure it works before they let you leave.  The Sway bar attaches to your ball mount not the receiver.  They will weld what is needed for you.  You can get the ball and mount from them if you don't already have one.  If you have one and it's correct they will weld the sway bar attachment for you at the time of pick up.  Believe me they won't send you on your way until everything is right, but it's good to be prepared.

Go to Eileen's website and order her guide.  It has all the information on what you'll need before and after you get your trailer.  It really helps you to get started.

Here's the link  http://www.lovemycasita.com/Guide.html

2014 17' Casita SD

#4 ritchier

ritchier
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Traveling the USA enjoying God's beauty, working on our bucket lists.

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:13 PM

Thanks flcoxjr and Wally Z.  That is very assuring that the Casita crew won't let me go without the proper set up.  I  talked with Jonathan at Casita today and he  told me that they would sell me the hitch for $550 installed and the friction anti-sway bar was $79.  I thought that sounded a little high in price, and I had already checked out etrailer.com and was overwhelmed with all the options.

I definitely will get an electric brake controller.  I had already looked at all the various plugs that are under the driver side dash, but I will have to find out which one will fit my Ram 1500.

I ordered Eileen's CD last Thursday so I should get it soon, and I'm sure it will help.

Thanks, again and I hope to see you on the go sometime.

#5 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 09:41 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:21 PM

Okay!  I think there's some confusion here.  You said your Ram has the 2" receiver and 7 pin plug in.  The receiver is part of the hitch.  You don't need a hitch if that's the case.  The ball mount is the part that slides into the receiver and has the 2" ball on it which connects to the trailers hitch.  The ball mounts cost about $35 and the ball about $15. That's the part that Casita will weld the small Sway bar ball to.  If you don't have the ball mount they will have one to match your hitch to the trailer. It may be a good idea to wait and let Casita fix you up with the correct one that will allow your trailer to hitch up level with the truck.   Here is a link to e-trailer for the brake controller and wiring for a Ram 1500.  http://www.etrailer....14_Ram_1500.htm

Here are instructions and location for plugging in your brake controller from e-trailer:

Step 1:

Start by plugging in the brake control adapter into the OEM harness located under the steering wheel, just to the right of the emergency brake pedal. Then find a place to mount the brake controller. It should be in a position that is easily accessible.

Step 2:

Then connect the Brake Control Adapter to the Brake Controller. The factory adapter uses different colors, but the wires are labeled. The wires for the brake control adapter and the wires coming out of the brake controller match up color for color. The wires match up: red to red, black to black, white to white, blue to blue. Then plug the adapter, which is now connected to the brake controller, into the plug under the dash. Then mount the brake controller to a place on the dash. Make sure that it is easily accessible.

faq047_aa_400.jpg

OEM Plug is usually blue.

faq047_bb_400.jpg

Brake Controller where it is easily accessible.

Edited by Wally Z, 10 February 2015 - 09:23 PM.

• NASA42 B likes this

2014 17' Casita SD

#6 ritchier

ritchier
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:46 PM

Thanks Wally Z.  I will take your advice and wait until I pick up the trailer and let Casita provide the ball and mount.  I'll continue to research the brake controller.  I haven't had a chance to check on anything yet.  I did receive the CD from Eileen yesterday.  I have lots to learn.

• Wally Z likes this

#7 Daine Duns

Daine Duns
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 10:41 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe

Posted 13 June 2015 - 08:33 PM

$550 is reasonable for the whole hitch. Casitas will answer all your questions.