• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MarilynB

MarilynB
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 06:18 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:27 AM

I'm a camper owner wanna-be and have been sales ad shopping for several months. I'm really liking what I'm seeing in the Casita line but haven't found anything within reach of my locality or budget yet.

Significant other, Mel, and I are senior citizens who travel the bluegrass festival circuit in our home state of Minnesota with his Holiday-Inn-on-wheels 5th wheel. I can branch out farther if I have my own "easy wheels" behind my Outback. So that's why I'm shopping!

I look forward to reading other posts because I've learned so much from the experienced campers. My life lately has been a geriatric version of "fixing up the nursing and just waiting for the baby" with my quest for the PERFECT camper. I look forward ever more to announcing the arrival of that PERFECT baby camper!

MarilynB

#2 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,013 posts
  • Local time: 08:18 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 17' SD
  • Interests:Travel, photography

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:10 PM

You'll need to do some research about what your TV (tow vehicle) can handle. If you're talking Subaru Outback you'll probably be limited to the 13' Patriot model as far as Casitas go. 

Jean
2000 SD 17'
2011 Silverado w/Prodigy BC
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much (and take lots of photos along the way)
www.jeanclarkphotography.com
www.borderbrae.wordpress.com

#3 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 523 posts
  • Local time: 08:18 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service, and my rescue cat named "Alley" at home...
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:03 PM

Marilyn.......

I  second borderbrae's comments.....  I suggest that you should start your research in your prospective tow vehicle's owner's manual, and with published details on the subject.   There are always a variety of opinions on tow capacity available from owners. Some of them are wildly optimistic and don't  necessarily meet safety standards.

Frank  :rolleyes:

#4 Sirius

Sirius
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 04:18 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Wannabe

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:59 PM

Hi Marilyn,

Nice introduction.  I've really spent a lot of time on the TV topic, there are physics, common sense, and, consideration of your use plans that weigh in to that.  I had a nice conversation this morning with a knowledgeable fellow on the topic, one thing he said that was insightful was the following:  A tow vehicle is like a mule, if you make the mule carry 300 pounds and go up hill a lot his lifespan will be shorter than if he carries 150 lbs on level ground.  And, your TV is just like a mule; its lifespan depends on what it pulls and where it is pulling it.

We also talked about the Fiberglass trailer and the TV.  The fiberglass trailer will outlive your TV, these trailers last a long time and during the trailers lifetime you'll change TV more than once, so getting the trailer you want is more important than the tug.  Still though one must get in the ballpark of any tugs capacity.

Oh, as to PERFECT I don't think that is really possible as there are tradeoffs many involved.  So choosing what works for you is the most important way to do this.  I'm just passing on advice I got from others, and, the most important of it is go out to a gathering and talk to owners and tour their trailers.  I even saw a 16' Scamp in a local campground and visited the owner and got a tour of their trailer.

All the best,

Steve

Your Wannabe friend