• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 yoyosma

yoyosma
  • Casita Club Member
  • 20 posts
  • Local time: 11:51 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Vegetable gardening, cooking, survivalists, art museums, taking care of ourselves so we can take lots of trips in new-to-us Casita.

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:06 AM

Husband went out to 17' SD that has been sitting up for some time, uncovered and exposed to weather.  Cannot get lock to work.  Broke off one key in it, so he went to hardware store and had more made.  Sprayed with WD 40 yesterday.  Factory not calling him back.  Saw a similar problem in a post here from 2013 for a different lock.  The one we have is kind of square on the outside and you pull the latch out to open it.

He is hesitant to drill it out without knowing what he is getting into or what size bit to use.

We have a trip planned with friends next weekend.  Husband is saying a lot of words he learned in the Navy and some he taught the other sailors.

• ArizonaEileen, Wally Z and Odysseus like this

#2 yoyosma

yoyosma
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Vegetable gardening, cooking, survivalists, art museums, taking care of ourselves so we can take lots of trips in new-to-us Casita.

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:19 PM

Husband got finally got a call from the only guy on duty today at the service/parts department.  He told my husband how to get in and is sending a replacement lock for the original one, which has been recalled.  (Ours is a 2009 model.)

Will post an update for you when husband can describe it to me better.  Thanks for being there.

• Dex and sandyb12 like this

#3 yoyosma

yoyosma
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:26 AM

Here is what "Tim" told my husband:  stick a screwdriver into the lock, pound it in, twist it with a wrench and it will open.  Worked like a charm.  New lock should be here soon, no charge.

#4 tractors1

tractors1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 424 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:ex-LD17, Escape21 now
  • Interests:Scuba diving, old tractors, woodworking

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:41 PM

The technical term for that procedure is called a "percussion adjustment" as opposed to a "percussion alignment"

:D

Charlie Y

ex-owner LD17, Escape 21 now
2013 Tacoma V6 4dr 4wd long bed

Need a widget to hold your stuff?

Don't drill holes!
http://www.rvwidgetworks.com

#5 TheAncient

TheAncient
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 02:51 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit/17

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:00 AM

Fastec industrial, the manufacturer of the lock, has a recall out on their locks.

http://www.fastecind...call letter.pdf

Check this notice for affected lock numbers,

#6 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:46 AM

not sure if this will help keep our locks from freezing up, certainly not if the lock is included in a recall, but i puff some powdered graphite into all of the locks periodically. seems to be keeping them functional, but my casita is only a 2013, so not sure mine won't suffer the same fate as so many others somewhere down the line. claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#7 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:20 PM

stick a screwdriver into the lock, pound it in, twist it with a wrench and it will open.

Better yet...Always keep your egress window toggle unlocked.

If you get locked out, slide the egress window glass and screen aside, then reach in and pull out the two red handles at the lower part of the window. The window, which is hinged at the top, will swing out so you can crawl through. You'll probably need something to stand on at some point in this process.

DON DAYTON - Egress window2.jpg

Eileen

• highwayfl likes this

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#8 ssatkinson

ssatkinson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 61 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2004 Spirit Deluxe 17'
  • Trailer Name:Eggcetera

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:27 PM

Eileen is right about that egress window! We pulled our Casita out of storage a few days ago and could not unlock the door. After several minutes of trying both keys, WD40, etc., we resorted to the window. It came out easily. I stood on my hubby's knee and slithered in head first onto the bed-a pretty amusing sight, I am sure. As it turned out, the lock was fine. A piece of the screen door had slipped off and blocked the lever from turning completely with the key. An easy fix. So glad that toggle was open on the window!
  • ArizonaEileen likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SD, lock