8 replies to this topic

#1 nancyharper

nancyharper
  • Casita Club Member
  • 48 posts
  • Local time: 07:03 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17"

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:43 PM

I would like to meet other quilters who also like to rv.  I have a small quilt shop in my home and also do longarm quilting for others.  I love to visit quilt shows, festivals and go to the International Quilt Market and Festival in Houston.

Nancy

• JerryC and Marsha like this

#2 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local time: 01:03 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:07 AM

nancy, where are you located? i'm not much of a quilter, but love to go to quilt shows, and anywhere else interesting in the casita! claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle, north texas

• nancyharper likes this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#3 Rudder

Rudder
  • Casita Club Member
  • 18 posts
  • Local time: 11:03 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 LD 17"

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

Hi Nancy. I am a quilter also, although new to my longarm. HQ Avante. I have been training the casita to stop at shops and events when we travel. Most of our camping is in the forests and National and State parks. I'm hoping to go to the Sisters Oregon show when we explore the Pacific Northwest. I have been to the Houston show years ago and enjoyed it a lot. My favorite type of quilts are art quilts and my favorite fabrics are batiks. I have taken several classes with David Taylor and am working on some animals in his style. Perhaps we will meet at some event. Gail, northern Colorado
  • nancyharper likes this

#4 codasmom

codasmom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 152 posts
  • Local time: 11:03 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Patriot 13'
  • Interests:Dogs and training, Artwork, photography, kayaking, bicycling, hiking, gardening, knitting,etc

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:31 AM

Hi Nancy, quilter here and always ready for a quilt show or stitching with a group of friends.
  • nancyharper likes this

#5 nancyharper

nancyharper
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 48 posts
  • Local time: 07:03 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17"

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:16 AM

Hi Ladies, glad to hear from you all.  Maybe we should have a quilting rally some time at one of the quilting events.  Wouldn't that be fun.   I live a few miles outside of Abilene, TX in a tiny town called Tuscola.  I had a HQ longarm previously, but now have an APQS millineum longarm and love using it.  Have any of you done quilting for your casita?  If so I would love to know what you have done and see some pictures.  We are planning on ordering our Freedom soon and have a lot to learn.

Nancy Harper

#6 arlon

arlon
  • Casita Club Member
  • 151 posts
  • Local time: 10:03 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Bunk Delux
  • Interests:Anything that gets me outside, photography

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:12 AM

My wife is into the piecing thing but leaves the quilting to someone with the equipment to do it. We have quilts in every corner of the Casita, house, garage, cars, etc. I've done a few myself but quickly lost the patience for it. Collected FWs for a long time, had over 50 of them at one time but sold the collection down to only 8-10 of them at present. I still like to sew but I do it for other things. 

2002 17 Casita Bunk Model Delux
2005 AWD Astro van (my solo camper)
Dodge/Cummins quad cab

#7 Lynn & Cindy

Lynn & Cindy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2014 Spirit Deluxe 17ft
  • Interests:Drawing & Artwork, Photography, Building things from metal, Hiking and Travel

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:36 PM

I'm not a quilter but I do have a quilting question.  After my grandmother passed away a few years ago we found several boxes of quilting squares in her house.  Most were hand sewn and were probably made from feed sacks and scraps of material.  The question I have that no one has been able to answer is why many of them were sewn onto newspaper squares.  The newspapers were dated in the early 1920's.  It's entertaining reading the backs of the squares but I've always wondered why they would have been made this way.  Thanks, Cindy

Attached Files

#8 T F Welch

T F Welch
  • Casita Club Member
  • 13 posts
  • Local time: 12:03 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:none yet

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:28 PM

Cindy, more than likely this was done to stabilize the pieces she was sewing together.  It looks like she was sewing by hand...  People use "paper piecing" today to do very intricate work, and still get tiny pieces, or points set in perfectly.  The interesting thing to me is that your grandmother was doing something very popular today in the world of quilting - google "string quilts" and you'll pull up modern quilts made from blocks that are similar to hers. . . and Missouri Star Quilts even makes a 10" paper you can buy to make blocks like these.  Your grandmother was ahead of her time!  Brings to mind the saying that what is old is new again.... 

What a treasure to have these!

Tonie

• Lynn & Cindy likes this

#9 Lynn & Cindy

Lynn & Cindy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2014 Spirit Deluxe 17ft
  • Interests:Drawing & Artwork, Photography, Building things from metal, Hiking and Travel

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:43 AM

Cindy, more than likely this was done to stabilize the pieces she was sewing together.  It looks like she was sewing by hand...  People use "paper piecing" today to do very intricate work, and still get tiny pieces, or points set in perfectly.  The interesting thing to me is that your grandmother was doing something very popular today in the world of quilting - google "string quilts" and you'll pull up modern quilts made from blocks that are similar to hers. . . and Missouri Star Quilts even makes a 10" paper you can buy to make blocks like these.  Your grandmother was ahead of her time!  Brings to mind the saying that what is old is new again.... 

What a treasure to have these!

Tonie

Tonie, thanks for the info!  Now the question has an answer to what we had been wondering about!  Yes, the older ideas do seem to work better, it just takes a while to come back around!

Cindy

• T F Welch likes this