4 replies to this topic

#1 nancyharper

nancyharper
  • Casita Club Member
  • 48 posts
  • Local time: 12:00 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17"

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:21 PM

Hi, My Husband, Walter and I are from Texas and are getting ready to order our first casita from the factory next week.We are newbies.  I have been doing a good bit of reading and today we visited the factory while traveling and we think we like the Freedom.   I do have a question I would like to ask you folks who have experience.  What additional options have you found to be very useful and what options do you find that you may not really use?    Walter is retiring this summer and it is just him and I.  We want to start exploring America and visiting some of the National and State parks.   

Nancy

#2 chucksper

chucksper
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 11:00 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom 17 ft

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:55 PM

I have a 2011 Freedom and it's been great.  I like the captains chairs and the permanent small dinette.  We keep the bed made up into a double bed all the time with an additional mattress on top of the cushions.  I would recommend most of the options offered (A/C, Microwave, 15 inch tires and high axel, and vinyl flooring) except for the Coby TV/DVD player combo.  You can have the corner shelf and buy a much better TV elsewhere for much less.  Just make sure you have the cable hookups installed at the factory.  You might want to contact Little House Customs (Larry and Debbie Gamble) for some nice after-market items that you can't get at the factory.  It's about 70 miles NE of Dallas and many people go there right after picking up their Casita.  At Little House, I had the regular Honeywell household type thermostat put in so the A/C fan comes on and off with the A/C compressor and doesn't run continuously.  Also Larry added the gray water tank mod, max air vent windows so you can keep them open about 3 inches even when raining, toilet emergency cut off valve, A regular window that opens in the door, lighted water pump switch, and I'd recommend a battery cut off switch.  Good luck with your purchase, I think you'll love it.  We have 24,000 miles on ours and have been pretty much in the entire US and parts of Canada.

Chuck

• sandyb12 and nancyharper like this

#3 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,238 posts
  • Local time: 04:00 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:40 PM

The type of camping we enjoy is mostly without hookups.  Our LD is a 2005, we like the twin and king bed configurations of the Liberty.  For options, we would not be without the furnace, awning, Fantastic Roof Vent, vinyl floor, and sway bar.  If we were buying a new Casita, I think we would add the 25 gal fresh water tank, but not the high axel or microwave.

It is my feeling that it's best to wait on major changes until you've spent some time with your Casita.  Then you will know what changes you feel are necessary.  Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will get lots of enjoyment from your Casita.

• NASA42 B and nancyharper like this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#4 whistlestop

whistlestop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 65 posts
  • Local time: 06:00 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita 17' SD 2015
  • Interests:Camping, Boating, Hiking, and knowing our creator God

Posted 18 January 2015 - 01:31 PM

Hi Walter and Nancy,

Welcome to the Club!  My wife and I will pick up our Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe 2/10/15.  We opted for most of the options except the microwave, TV, and outside shower.  I also deleted the rear bolt on spare tire carrier.  I don't like the way the rubber tire is tightened up against the fiberglass.  So after we pick up the 17 I will decide on a set up that perfectcasita.com offers to carry the spare or bike rack etc.

You can spend many hours reading what others have done such as the good advice from the reply's above.

Good Luck & Enjoy your Casita!

Rick

• sandyb12, NASA42 B and nancyharper like this

#5 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 03:00 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:06 AM

Answers to all of your newbie questions are in my A-Z Casita Owners Guide. Check it out:

www.LoveMyCasita.com/Guide.html

Be sure to look over the Table of Contents and the Testimonials.

Eileen

07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums