#1 Will in Big D

Will in Big D
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 02:52 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17'

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:48 AM

New to the forum and happy to be here.

Wife and I picked up our brand new 2015 Spirit Deluxe two weeks ago, just before Christmas. I'm completely new to towing and travel trailers and have to admit to being a little nervous throughout the one-hour drive back to Dallas, especially when I actually got into Dallas and had to deal with the merge from I-45 on to I-30 east near Fair Park. But everything was fine. I've figured out that I'm going to have to abandon my old expectations about highway travel speed and get used to sticking to 60 mph.

We haven't made a real trip in the Casita yet but we hope to take a short trip to a state park or somewhere pretty soon. Would have gone this weekend but the weather forecast was discouraging (and turned out to be right) and at least the very first time I try to hook up the trailer, I'd prefer to do it in clear weather. I don't mind being confused, and I don't mind being cold and wet, but I'd prefer not to be confused and miserable at the very same time.   :)

Maybe in a week or two. But we have USED the Casita. At Christmas, our #2 daughter and her husband came to visit. We let them sleep in our bedroom in the house and wife Joan and I and our dog Arthur slept in the Casita. We loved it. It was quite cold (by Dallas standards) but the electric heater kept us very comfortable. Arthur loves it. When he sleeps in our bed in our bedroom, he understands that it's OUR bedroom and he's the guest. But we get the feeling he thinks the Casita is a dog house and we are HIS guests. Whatever makes the little guy happy.

Still trying to come up with a name for the egg. I'm strongly tempted to go the Davis Sedaris route and call it the "Sea Breeze" or "Ocean View". (My apologies if you're not familiar with the story where this comes up.) I'd enjoy the irony, inasmuch as we live in Dallas and there hasn't been an ocean view here since, oh, the late Cretaceous period. But Joan prefers something simpler, so we're still negotiating.

Anyway, we love the Casita so far. We took our sweet time shopping and looked at almost everything. We're quite confident we made the right choice! Happy Trails to everybody in 2015.

Will

20141220-casita-small.jpg

• NASA42 B likes this

#2 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,451 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:22 PM

hi, will and joan, welcome to the casita family. i'm right up the road from you, in lake dallas, feel free to PM me and i'll be happy to let you know about some camping opportunities with some other casita friends that we'll be doing in the next week or so. i bought my sassie cassie feb 1 2014 and retired from a 40 year nursing career march 26. have really been seeing the country this year and, more importantly, have  met some nice casita folks. hope to hear from you soon, happiest of new years to you, regards, claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#3 whistlestop

whistlestop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 65 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita 17' SD 2015
  • Interests:Camping, Boating, Hiking, and knowing our creator God

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:27 PM

Hi Will, Joan & "Arthur",

I believe "Dog House" would be a great creative name for your new Casita!!  Welcome to the club and Happy New Camping Year.

You will find 99% of your camping questions answered here on the Casita Club.

Just reading your introduction was fun to read.  We will look forward to your future Casita adventures!

My wife & I will pick up our Casita 17 SD   2/10/15.  A little drive from SC but we can't wait.

Rick & Beth

#4 lem

lem
  • Casita Club Member
  • 20 posts
  • Local time: 01:52 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit Deluxe
  • Trailer Name:Little Dove

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:58 PM

Welcome.  Hope you get a chance to enjoy your Casita soon, outside of your driveway.

We pick ours April 9 and will be traveling some of the same roads as you back to Plano.

Lyle

Edited by lem, 01 January 2015 - 04:59 PM.

Lyle & Jane

17 Spirit Deluxe 2015

2015 Nissan Frontier

#5 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 582 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 02 January 2015 - 03:01 AM

Heck of a Christmas present !!!    Have a good 2015... and... "HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS" ?

Mark Watson

Houston,Tx
2008 17' FD