#1 MacTravelers

MacTravelers
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 07:17 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe/17
  • Interests:Hiking, biking, photography,

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:16 PM

We currently tow with a 2005 dodge grand caravan nearing end of life (2nd engine) with 155k.
We are looking at new/used (2014 oldest) Durango or Highlander. We are looking for more tow power and safety.

We crossed the continental divide with the caravan and were glad to pull over as often as possible on those long inclines to avoid any problems but think the added capacity would make for a more enjoyable trip.

Any experiences or pros or cons on the two would be appreciated. I think all three of those engines are 3.5-3.6L.
Also advice on front wheel vs four wheel vs all wheel drive. (4WD vs FWD vs AWD)

We have the 2007 17' Spirit Deluxe.
Thanks for the advice
Jon

#2 RADAR1

RADAR1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 245 posts
  • Local time: 08:17 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Scamp 16 SD
  • Interests:Scamping, kayaking, biking, hiking, picture taking.

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:44 AM

We love the added traction available with our AWD in our Subaru. We have also towed with FWD and didn't really care for it, especially if the roads are wet, as the front tires tend to spin when trying to start from a stop (especially if you're going uphill). For some of our planned trips next year we would definitely enjoy having 4WD since we'd like to travel some of the back roads in Big Bend and Utah.

I've been in one campsite in GA where I was afraid we wouldn't be able to pull out of the site with our RWD Dodge Dakota (no posi-traction) due to the incline combined with loose gravel. Would have been nice to have had AWD or 4WD that time (or at least RWD with limited slip diff).

John/Dave and Marilyn

2004 Dodge Dakota V8
2017 Dodge Durango V6
2005 Scamp 16 SD

radar1-scamping.blogspot.com

#3 Ron B.

Ron B.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 435 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1996 Spirit Deluxe 16'
  • Interests:Honda Ridgeline RTL/Nav
    Love the outdoors. Nature and spending time with my wife and dog give me pleasure. I may have cancer but, cancer doesn't have me...
    Good music is a plus and true friends are priceless.

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:48 AM

After owning a Dodge Dakota, I certainly would not recommend one for pulling a Casita. The rear end is so light that it easily spins. I had to add two bags of sand right over the rear wheels in order to get traction on wet or icy roads. Too much power to the rear wheels and no traction.

The Dodge Durango was listed as a good vehicle for trailer pulling in a couple of  past issues of Consumer Reports. Probably the Hemi engine however.

The Toyota Highlander would also be a good alternative for pulling a Casita. It rides good and would be very dependable. Personally, I would take to reputable (if there is such a thing) Toyota dealership and tell them what you are going to be pulling and surely they could recommend the appropriate vehicle with the right power train for pulling a trailer. The Toyota does have a 4700 lbs trailer limit however.

Edited by Ron B., 05 December 2014 - 11:02 AM.

#4 Homer

Homer
  • Casita Club Member
  • 56 posts
  • Local time: 09:17 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17SD
  • Interests:Flying, Sailing, Motorcycling (BMW), Kayaking, Roaming

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:14 PM

Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, 7400 lbs capacity.  Good fuel mileage.  I have towed over 12,000 ft passes (trail ridge in rky mtn and bear tooth) and didn't slow down.  Mine currently has 170K, will buy another one.

#5 schatzie

schatzie
  • Casita Club Member
  • 225 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:53 PM

A 4x4 or AWD vehicle is definitely the way to go.  I have needed the extra traction more than once just to get traction on wet, slippery grass.  My TV is a 4x4 and my everyday vehicle is an AWD.  I would never be with anything less again.

• Randy likes this
Bob & Ginny Schattschneider
South Milwaukee, WI.
2009 Casita 17' SD
2004 Ford F-150 FX4

#6 MacTravelers

MacTravelers
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe/17
  • Interests:Hiking, biking, photography,

Posted 09 December 2014 - 07:54 AM

Forgot to mention, we are grandparents and on occasion need to seat six - unless someone volunteers for the roof rack. That really knocks out the Jeep but the 7500# tow is tempting.
I lived in Atlanta in my earlier life and know about the Georgia hills!

For those who replied, thanks for the advice.
Does anyone have the highlander?
We were ready to buy the Highlander but the dealers in Texas... Flat state, not much need for AWD so scarce.
Thanks again

#7 Dex

Dex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,184 posts
  • Local time: 06:17 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:37 AM

We currently tow with a 2005 dodge grand caravan nearing end of life (2nd engine) with 155k.
We are looking at new/used (2014 oldest) Durango or Highlander. We are looking for more tow power and safety.

We crossed the continental divide with the caravan and were glad to pull over as often as possible on those long inclines to avoid any problems but think the added capacity would make for a more enjoyable trip.

Any experiences or pros or cons on the two would be appreciated. I think all three of those engines are 3.5-3.6L.
Also advice on front wheel vs four wheel vs all wheel drive. (4WD vs FWD vs AWD)

We have the 2007 17' Spirit Deluxe.
Thanks for the advice
Jon

http://www.trailerli...-towing-guides/

2006 17' Spirit owner since July 18, 2006
Tow Vehicle - 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 3.9L, Automatic Sports Plus Package, 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 gear ratio, Trailer Tow Group pkg(transmission & oil cooler, class IV hitch, wiring), Heavy Duty package (automatic Overdrive, battery upgrade, front & rear anti sway bars) Package

#8 Dex

Dex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,184 posts
  • Local time: 06:17 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:40 AM

After owning a Dodge Dakota, I certainly would not recommend one for pulling a Casita. The rear end is so light that it easily spins. 

That would probably happen with most PUs.

2006 17' Spirit owner since July 18, 2006
Tow Vehicle - 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 3.9L, Automatic Sports Plus Package, 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 gear ratio, Trailer Tow Group pkg(transmission & oil cooler, class IV hitch, wiring), Heavy Duty package (automatic Overdrive, battery upgrade, front & rear anti sway bars) Package

#9 knifeman

knifeman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 189 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 17 ft sd
  • Interests:Knife making , boat building, kayaking ,fishing, just about anything outdoors

Posted 09 December 2014 - 07:23 PM

I have towed my SD over 20,000 miles  in the last 2 years with a 1/2 ton Dodge,

no problem with being light in the rear.  :blink: I always have the bed full of camping gear :o

Ron

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TV, VEHICLE, ADVICE, Tow, FWD, AWD, 4WD