#1 Mountainrider

Mountainrider
  • Casita Club Member
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 03:28 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Looking

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:17 PM

Hi,

My wife and I started traveling full time about 4 months ago. We have been living in our 2000 Volkswagen European Camper, but are looking to sell or trade the Van and move into a Casita. The Van has been great, but for full time living we both feel having a bathroom, and the ability to drop the trailer and drive the tow vehicle would be great. There where a lot of places we have stopped that we would have stayed longer if we did not need to break camp just to run into town. If you want to learn more about us check out our blog here: www.allpointsinbetween.com 

We own a 2008 Tacoma with a tow package that we plan to use as our tow vehicle. If anyone has experience towing with this vehicle I would love to hear about it. Right now we are looking for a 17 foot Spirit Deluxe, used, to purchase as soon as we sell our Van, or to trade our Van for. We are overwintering in California now, and hope to be back on the road in mid march!!!.

Thanks!!!

#2 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer
  • Admin
  • 4,025 posts
  • Local time: 07:28 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1000

Posted 30 November 2014 - 06:18 PM

Welcome to The Casita Club!

Eric  B)

• Mountainrider likes this

The Casita Club

----------

Here is a video tutorial on how to upload images to your post:
How To Attach an Image to Your Post

#3 Herman & Ann

Herman & Ann
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 08:28 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 Casita SD
  • Interests:Camping and Fishing. Traveling
  • Trailer Name:2 Only

Posted 30 November 2014 - 06:55 PM

Welcome you will love the fiberglass when you find yours.

#4 stratos175

stratos175
  • Casita Club Member
  • 212 posts
  • Local time: 10:28 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit
  • Interests:hiking, kayaking, disc golf and spending time in in our Casita.
  • Trailer Name:Matilda

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:28 AM

Hi,

We had a 2001 Roadtrek that we loved but we did not like the same thing you mentioned, sleeping in what you drive, it did have a bathroom at least. We saw a Casita last year at Edisto Beach state park and after that I was hooked!!!!

Some suggestions, go 17' for sure, decide on which model you want and then everyday web search for one every time you get a chance. I live in GA and found mine outside of Nashville TN on ebay of all places. It had a buy it now price that was very fair so that is what I did and we love our Matilda.

I'm jealous because we still have to work so can't spend as much time as we would like traveling but have enjoyed our adventures so far and look forward to many more.

Safe travels,

Steve

#5 whistlestop

whistlestop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 65 posts
  • Local time: 09:28 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita 17' SD 2015
  • Interests:Camping, Boating, Hiking, and knowing our creator God

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:45 AM

Hi

Hope  you sell your VW Van soon.  Those were cool campers!  I agree with you, it will be great to unhook and go!  

Welcome to the club.  The Tacoma should be no problem towing the 17 SD.

Rick

#6 tractors1

tractors1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 424 posts
  • Local time: 07:28 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:ex-LD17, Escape21 now
  • Interests:Scuba diving, old tractors, woodworking

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:27 PM

I towed a 17ft Liberty Deluxe with a 2013 Tacoma 4 dr, 4x4, long bed with zero problems - rated to tow 6400 lbs; now tows a 21 ft Escape with no problems (4600 lbs, weighed.) Shouldn't have any issues - check the capacities in your owners manual.

Charlie Y

ex-owner LD17, Escape 21 now
2013 Tacoma V6 4dr 4wd long bed

Need a widget to hold your stuff?

Don't drill holes!
http://www.rvwidgetworks.com

#7 Beetlefreak

Beetlefreak
  • Casita Club Member
  • 131 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 Liberty
  • Interests:Finding a good adventure

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:44 PM

We sold our 1998 EV Camper to buy our Casita.  Not because we didn't love the VW but we felt like we were stuck at the campsite all the time because once we got set up we didn't want to go anywhere or do any sight seeing.  Keep an open mind on which model Casita you buy.  We thought we wanted a Freedom but a good deal presented itself for a Liberty and now I am pleased that we got what we got.  If you are anything like us you will absolutely love the Casita.  We will see you out on the road - just look for the Beetlefreak.

So much fun - So little time
Beetlefreak.com

#8 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,032 posts
  • Local time: 06:28 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:11 PM

Welcome to the forum.....good luck with your search for a Casita.....you'll love it once you have it.  Word to the wise.....be ready to buy when you find one you like......they go real fast !!!  Safe travels.....

#9 Mountainrider

Mountainrider
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:23 PM

Hi,

Wow! Thanks for all the replies!!! A lot of great advice here... We are super excited to get our Casita and get back on the road in march. I am working on selling my van now, and as soon as I do I will start looking seriously. Good to hear that towing with my Tacoma should work out well. I have a 6500 tow rating on my 2008, so not a problem. It seems I am not the first person to feel stuck at a campsite in a camper van, and will be glad to be able to drop my Casita and explore. I will keep ya all updated as our search for a trailer continues, and also plan to start blogging about life in the casita once we get back on the road. Thanks again for all the great advice, and I look forward to chatting more!

Jason

#10 jimiller5

jimiller5
  • Casita Club Member
  • 127 posts
  • Local time: 06:28 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 SD
  • Interests:Old Time String Band music, hammered and mountain dulcimer
  • Trailer Name:Camptown

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:37 PM

We just up graded to a '09 Tacoma and are very pleased with it. It does have the tow pkg. We took our first trip with it and averaged 16 mpg at 62 mph.

#11 Mountainrider

Mountainrider
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:07 AM

Wow, thats good millage!! I drove across Nevada 2 weeks ago. I got 16 MPG with out towing, but I was going cold to 80 the whole way. Awesome to think I could slow down and get the same millage towing i get normally.

#12 John Craig

John Craig
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:49 AM

Hi,

Just a little input for your Casita towing question. We have 2012 Spirit Deluxe and when "stocked up" and on the road figure it weighs about 2700 lbs. That's the best part of these trailers - they are so light.

I realize you're talking Toyotas, but I honestly think they and Nissan trucks are similar in their performance.

I tow with a 2011 Nissan Frontier. It's a 4.0 litre 6 cyl with a towing capacity of 6300 lbs. So the Casita is a breeze to tow.

I looked into my truck owners manual recently and learned that I could even bolt the ball into the hole in the step bumper and tow the Casita. I have a regular hitch setup however.

If your Toyota is a 4 cyl I think you'll still be ok. My specs stated a 4 cyl Frontier has a 3600 lb tow capacity. I suppose the smaller engine will struggle on long, sustained uphill grades.

Anyway, there's my offering. Good luck and have fun!

John Craig

#13 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 214 posts
  • Local time: 09:28 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:54 PM

From the Casita website are the following specs for a 17 foot Spirit Deluxe: (Dry Wt = 2480 lb., Tongue Weight = 365 lb.)

With propane, plus gray(15 gal) and black(32 gal) water tanks full the weight would be about 3200 lb.

The trailer axle is rated for 3500 lb.

I recently ordered a 17 foot SD.  On the bottom of the invoice it states that the hitch required be rated @ 4000 lb, with a 400-500 lb tongue load.

I have a 2010 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner, 4 liter V6, with towing package. The towing package includes a Class IV hitch.  My manual states towing capacity is 6500 lbs, with a tongue load capacity of 650 lbs.

Don't forget that you will need a brake controller for the electric trailer brakes, and a 7 pin plug for trailer.

• Ranger100 likes this

#14 Mountainrider

Mountainrider
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for the info. I have the 7 pin connector, but I have not used a trailer brake. I think there is a connector in the glove box. I will check today and report back. It should like It should work well with a loaded 17 foot trailer. Might strain a bit on steep uphills, but I guess thats to be expected.

#15 Ranger100

Ranger100
  • Casita Club Member
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Woodworking, hand tools, Books, antiques, organic gardening, travel, horses,

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:10 AM

From the Casita website are the following specs for a 17 foot Spirit Deluxe: (Dry Wt = 2480 lb., Tongue Weight = 365 lb.)

With propane, plus gray(15 gal) and black(32 gal) water tanks full the weight would be about 3200 lb.

The trailer axle is rated for 3500 lb.

I recently ordered a 17 foot SD.  On the bottom of the invoice it states that the hitch required be rated @ 4000 lb, with a 400-500 lb tongue load.

I have a 2010 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner, 4 liter V6, with towing package. The towing package includes a Class IV hitch.  My manual states towing capacity is 6500 lbs, with a tongue load capacity of 650 lbs.

Don't forget that you will need a brake controller for the electric trailer brakes, and a 7 pin plug for trailer.

Hello All,

A follow up question re weight and the 3,500 axle. In a  2015 Spirit Deluxe, with the grey tank empty, black tank empty but the 25 gallon fresh water tank full.  What would be the weight of "cargo capacity" (food, clothes, gear) this Casita 3,500lbs axle would allow to travel with?  A quick look is telling me that I need to do some serious downsizing and planning...

Thank you and take care,

Ranger100

Edited by Ranger100, 11 December 2014 - 10:11 AM.

Psalm 91: 2 He my Refuge and fortress, my God in whom I am trusting

Ranger A life fought for others is a life worth living and that is a noble thing...

The Code of the West

1. Live each day with courage

2. Take pride in your work

3. Always finish what you start

4. Do what has to be done

5. Be tough, but fair

6. When you make a promise, keep it

7. Ride for the brand

8. Talk less and say more

9. Remember that some things aren’t for sale

10. Know where to draw the line