MGD
  • Casita Club Member
  • 236 posts
  • Local time: 08:55 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' FD
  • Interests:Eclectic.
  • Trailer Name:Casitaminophen

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:14 PM

You've got to admit that a Porsche 944 towing a Casita would be cool to see coming down the road.

• Ranger100 likes this

#17 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,422 posts
  • Local time: 10:55 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:57 AM

ranger 100, don't feel badly about asking questions. that's what we're all here for. we were all newbies at some point and there's always something else to learn about these trailers. everyone here is more than happy to help in any way possible. i don't have any tow vehicle info for you, but others here certainly do. keep those questions coming! regards, claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#18 Ranger100

Ranger100
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 36 posts
  • Local time: 11:55 PM
  • Interests:Woodworking, hand tools, Books, antiques, organic gardening, travel, horses,

Posted 06 December 2014 - 04:16 PM

Hey Ranger 100

I have some experience with Crown Vic police cars from my last job at the city radio shop.  The CV should have plenty of horse power to tow a Casita and many of the "police packages" have transmission coolers, upgraded suspension and such.  You will still need a load distribution hitch to keep the "butt end" from dragging. But wait...there's more!  The nifty spotlight is normally left on when  a "squad" is decommissioned.  My main concern is finding a used CV that is not totally worn out.   With tight budgets  most agencies run their fleets several years longer than in the past.    Our vehicles spent the last 2 or 3 year as "pool cars" and they were pretty rough at the end, so look them over carefully so you won't end up with a "money pit".

Welcome to Casita-ville.  I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do.

John

WD5IKX

Casita-Freak

Hello John,

Thank you for this advice re cars. In the next week there are 2 public (PA) auction places each selling about 30 2011 Crown Vic's at each one.  I'm not sure what kind of access there would be for checking them out - but I want to avoid a "pig-in th poke" car.  SO I don't know if I will even go to them. 

I can't wait to get into the Casita' and be moving on. Planing on dual radios, tow vehicle and in the Casita'.  Asked my brother if he will come down to TX to help with the setup.  Yes, He also can't wait to be working on that one with me.  

Any advice in that area is appreciated...

Psalm 91: 2 He my Refuge and fortress, my God in whom I am trusting

Ranger A life fought for others is a life worth living and that is a noble thing...

The Code of the West

1. Live each day with courage

2. Take pride in your work

3. Always finish what you start

4. Do what has to be done

5. Be tough, but fair

6. When you make a promise, keep it

7. Ride for the brand

8. Talk less and say more

9. Remember that some things aren’t for sale

10. Know where to draw the line

#19 Ranger100

Ranger100
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 36 posts
  • Local time: 11:55 PM
  • Interests:Woodworking, hand tools, Books, antiques, organic gardening, travel, horses,

Posted 06 December 2014 - 04:22 PM

You've got to admit that a Porsche 944 towing a Casita would be cool to see coming down the road.

Yes that would be quite a sight.  But the Porsche didn't sell and going to storage on Sunday.  May be life will settle down and the Porsche and I can join up again.  Had to let a classic 87 BMWR65 go already (owned 14 yrs and did 40K touring on it.)  The "sister bike" left 3 years ago 88BMWR100RT.  Toured on that one also... I had a good "ride" :)

• MGD likes this

Psalm 91: 2 He my Refuge and fortress, my God in whom I am trusting

Ranger A life fought for others is a life worth living and that is a noble thing...

The Code of the West

1. Live each day with courage

2. Take pride in your work

3. Always finish what you start

4. Do what has to be done

5. Be tough, but fair

6. When you make a promise, keep it

7. Ride for the brand

8. Talk less and say more

9. Remember that some things aren’t for sale

10. Know where to draw the line