7 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Dunn

Tom Dunn
  • Casita Club Member
  • 84 posts
  • Local time: 11:18 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Delux 17

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:28 PM

Thanks to poor memory we're going back to Ft. Pickens Nov. 22 - 25. Hope it's warmer & less windy than last year! Anyone else planning to be there? We're in A21.
Tom & Sue
tsdd@cox.net

#2 Ed/Helen Pensacola

Ed/Helen Pensacola
  • Casita Club Member
  • 59 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:16' Spirit Delux

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:00 AM

We just got back from the Blue Angles weekend.  There was not an empty site in the whole park.  I would not like to out there now, 34 F and a 20 mph wind.   Enjoy your trip and stay warm.  We ran into some stink bugs crawling into every opening there was in the RV.  Take some good bug killer and these little 

rascals have a thick exo-skeleton and take forever to die. 

#3 Tom Dunn

Tom Dunn
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:22 PM

Aside from my "short term memory" loss from last year - we have camped at Ft. Pickens for many years in winter. It can be a very beautiful time of the year if a cold front is not coming through. One Thanksgiving we even saw a manatee swimming under the pier. Also bottle nosed Dolphins and baby manta rays. It's a roll of the dice. Back in 2002 I think, we were lucky enough to witness the Leonids meteor shower. We were in a pop-up then and could hear the folks at the group campground oohs and ahas. We took a blanket across the street to the beach and WHAT A SHOW IT WAS!! It was about 2 am. I closed my eyes at one point and couuld see the flash of one meteorites. Hopefully this year will be one of those years.
Tom & Sue
tsdd@cox.net

#4 trumpetguy

trumpetguy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 148 posts
  • Local time: 12:18 PM
  • Interests:Singing classical music. . Hiking and backpacking.
  • Trailer Name:Setting Sail

Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:15 PM

I live across the water from Ft. Pickens. It is beautiful. Cold front and storms coming in tomorrow, but then a warming trend. You never know what to expect this time of year.

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Setting Sail)

2011 Chevy Avalanche 5.3 V8

www.emeraldcoastcamper.com

"Hail to the rest of the road"

#5 Tom Dunn

Tom Dunn
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:39 PM

I live across the water from Ft. Pickens. It is beautiful. Cold front and storms coming in tomorrow, but then a warming trend. You never know what to expect this time of year.

We met you last year at Ft. Pickens at the end of December. You were driving through. We're from Baton Rouge. Did you make a decision on a larger camper?
Tom & Sue
tsdd@cox.net

#6 Tom Dunn

Tom Dunn
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:40 PM

Oh SNAP!!! Got an automated email earlier from Recreation.gov saying my reservation was cancelled. We were going tomorrow. I called and was told the campground was closing due to expected bad weather. So we are going to the Pensacola Beach RV Resort. Lots more expensive & not a great place for getting back to nature but looks like a nice place. Hmm - us at an RV resort. Country come to town!
Tom & Sue
tsdd@cox.net

#7 Herman & Ann

Herman & Ann
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 Casita SD
  • Interests:Camping and Fishing. Traveling
  • Trailer Name:2 Only

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:26 PM

Next time you are in Pensacola check out Big Lagoon State Park it has a campground and can be used if you have a cancellation like you did at Ft Pickens. Big Lagoon is on the intercoastal across the bay from Ft Pickins a little west. Herman

#8 Tom Dunn

Tom Dunn
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:33 PM

What a coincidence - yesterday at Thanksgiving dinner my wife's niece's inlaws suggested the exact same thing. It must be a sign!! I'll look and see if Big Lagoon has any openings for Christmas week. Thanks.
Tom & Sue
tsdd@cox.net