20 replies to this topic

#1 Dann and Karan

Dann and Karan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 244 posts
  • Local time: 08:34 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe- 16'

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:47 PM

What kind of jack do you use to change a flat on your Casita while on a trip?

Dann and Karan

2007 FD Snowball

2005 Trailer Blazer (new to us).

1995 Volvo 850 tubo Sedan

(gone but not forgotten) 

#2 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,260 posts
  • Local time: 07:34 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:41 PM

Twice I used the jack that came with my '99 4Runner.  Worked ok.

Dutchman

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#3 lkg907

lkg907
  • Casita Club Member
  • 262 posts
  • Local time: 06:34 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17' SD

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:51 PM

I use   a little bottle jack.  Maybe 8".  It's important to take a test run in your parking spot.  You may need some dunnage (marine term) or blocks to accommodate the jacking procedure.  Depending on your jack, it could take two jacking procedures.

#4 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 05:34 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:02 AM

I use the scissors jack that came with my F150.

No point in carrying an extra jack if the one that comes with your TV does the job. Give it a try...before you have a flat.
Just be sure to chock the opposite wheel and to place the jack under the frame, not the axle.

Some bottle jacks are too tall to get under the frame when the trailer is sitting on the rim.

Eileen

• NASA42 B likes this
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#5 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:45 AM

Some makers tuck the jack and its parts away in places that may be very inconvenient. I put all the jack components in the bed of the truck where they will be easy and quick to access. Leaving them in their original tuck-away spots may lead to a scavenger hunt under stress.

• ArizonaEileen, Meadowlark and MGD like this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#6 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:54 AM

Some makers tuck the jack and its parts away in places that may be very inconvenient. I put all the jack components in the bed of the truck where they will be easy and quick to access. Leaving them in their original tuck-away spots may lead to a scavenger hunt under stress.

AGREE!

When I had my blow-out on I-10 last January and had to pull over on the very narrow shoulder, I realized my jack was under the rear seat of my F150...on the driver's side, of course.

Lesson learned. Like you, I now keep everything together where I can get to it without endangering my life.

Eileen

• Meadowlark likes this

#7 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,900 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:13 PM

I'll bet that was a stressful situation, Eileen. I should be ashamed of myself for admitting this, but I've not a clue where the Tundra's jack is. I'll rectify that TOMORROW.  However, we carry two scissors jacks for the Casita (which makes it nice and stable in camp) and a bottle jack, just in case. The idea of dealing with a blowout on the single axle'd Casita was one of the few reservations I had about it. I would have been far happier with two axles.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#8 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,011 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:44 PM

I have a jack for the truck and carry a bottle jack in my tool box.....but.....when I encounter a flat.....I pull off the road as far as possible.......make a sandwich....pop open a cold beer and call AAA.  Never have waited more than a half hour.......just seems easier and much less dirty....for me anyways. 

Edited by Jerrybob, 08 November 2014 - 09:45 PM.

• Linda & Bob, K4TAX, latte, Babs&Chris and 2 others like this

#9 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:12 PM

I have a jack for the truck and carry a bottle jack in my tool box.....but.....when I encounter a flat.....I pull off the road as far as possible.......make a sandwich....pop open a cold beer and call AAA.  Never have waited more than a half hour.......just seems easier and much less dirty....for me anyways. 

On the section of I-10 I was on, there was very little room between my rig and oncoming traffic, which included 18-wheelers traveling at 80 mph. It was plain-flat-out NOT safe.

I called Good Sam and they told me it would take anywhere between 45-90 minutes for help to arrive because of my remote location (between El Paso and Van Horn), They suggested I call 9-1-1 and report my problem so they could send out a sheriff's deputy, and that the deputy would then contact someone to change the tire for me, which I did.

Meanwhile, I spotted another Casita owner (and my hero!), Neal Ruest (and his wife Kay), coming toward me on I-10. Neal saw me, stopped and changed the tire for me. The deputy showed up and parked behind our rigs, making all of us feel a bit safer. Although they have a 'move over' law in Texas, there are still those drivers who don't comply.

Although I appreciate your 'kick back' attitude, not all situations are conducive to sandwiches and beer, especially if the deputy is showing up.  :P

Eileen

• MGD likes this

#10 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:51 AM

Moral: Save a beer and a sandwich for the deputy.

• Linda & Bob, K4TAX, ArizonaEileen, Jerrybob and 1 other like this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#11 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,011 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:29 AM

On the section of I-10 I was on, there was very little room between my rig and oncoming traffic, which included 18-wheelers traveling at 80 mph. It was plain-flat-out NOT safe.

I called Good Sam and they told me it would take anywhere between 45-90 minutes for help to arrive because of my remote location (between El Paso and Van Horn), They suggested I call 9-1-1 and report my problem so they could send out a sheriff's deputy, and that the deputy would then contact someone to change the tire for me, which I did.

Meanwhile, I spotted another Casita owner (and my hero!), Neal Ruest (and his wife Kay), coming toward me on I-10. Neal saw me, stopped and changed the tire for me. The deputy showed up and parked behind our rigs, making all of us feel a bit safer. Although they have a 'move over' law in Texas, there are still those drivers who don't comply.

Although I appreciate your 'kick back' attitude, not all situations are conducive to sandwiches and beer, especially if the deputy is showing up.  :P

Eileen

Eileen......sounds like you had a very unsafe situation there.....glad you had people help and everyone was safe.  There are certainly times...immediate action is necessary.  I do use AAA.....found them to be much more responsive than Good Sam.  Use to live in So. Calif.......helped many people change tires on freeways as cars/trucks zoomed by........not safe and dangerous.  In these cases.......I always waited to get home before having that sandwich and beer!  Be safe out there.......safe travels to all!   

• ArizonaEileen and MGD like this

#12 MGD

MGD
  • Casita Club Member
  • 236 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' FD
  • Interests:Eclectic.
  • Trailer Name:Casitaminophen

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:57 PM

There are times when it will be better to just drive on a flat/rim far enough that you can get completely off the road where it is safe to change a tire. I don't know about you folks, but my life is worth more to me than the cost of a rim--or even the cost of an axle.

• ArizonaEileen and Jerrybob like this

#13 Dann and Karan

Dann and Karan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 244 posts
  • Local time: 08:34 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe- 16'

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:21 PM

Thanks for the help with the jack. We now know what we can use.

Dann and Karan

#14 codasmom

codasmom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 152 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Patriot 13'
  • Interests:Dogs and training, Artwork, photography, kayaking, bicycling, hiking, gardening, knitting,etc

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:14 AM

I'll pass along something I put together last week for my little camper.  If I pack something it has to have at least 2 purposes.  I picked up a couple of orange 5 gal buckets from

HD and wrapped them with a couple of rows of reflective tape.  I can pack stuff in them, use them to carry water or whatever, use them as weights for my awning poles and if I have car trouble, can place them behind the camper as an alert for oncoming traffic (especially at night--oh please don't let that ever happen).  Orange cones would only have one purpose, so they weren't acceptable.  Now, after reading Eileen's comments, I'm thinking of loading the tire changing equip. in one of the buckets and putting it up front in the TV.  Then....I will never need it!!

I'm also putting reflective tape above and below my back window for a little added visibility.  

(I ride a motorcycle....visibility is everything!!)

• ArizonaEileen, Babs&Chris, Jerrybob and 2 others like this

#15 robertplattbell

robertplattbell
  • Casita Club Member
  • 259 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:39 PM

I use   a little bottle jack.  Maybe 8".  It's important to take a test run in your parking spot.  You may need some dunnage (marine term) or blocks to accommodate the jacking procedure.  Depending on your jack, it could take two jacking procedures.

Works for me, too.  They are cheap and don't take up a lot of room.   Sadly, my car jack had a weird notch in it and was meant to engage the body of the TV so it would not work for the Casita.