#1 tsaintam

tsaintam
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 07:00 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:in the market

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:43 AM

Hello,

I'm a new member to the forum, but have been looking into buying an RV now for the past year. My hope is to buy something within the next 6 months, park it at a friend's house for a few months while I get acclimated to it (and my pets do too), and then hit the road. I'm definitely considering a Casita or other fiberglass trailer because of the lighter weight and resistance to leaks. Also, it seems like everyone who has one just loves it. 

I don't yet have my tow vehicle so I'm very grateful for all the advice and experience provided in these forums about towing capacity, hitches, etc. 

I will do a search to see if there is already a thread on full-timing it with multiple pets and a Casita, but if not, I'd love to hear people's thoughts on how to make it the least stressful for the animals as possible. I have five cats and a very small, elderly chihuahua!

Thank you,

Terri

#2 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Local time: 04:00 PM
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:19 AM

HI, Terri, and welcome.

I travel with three dogs and they absolutely love the trailer. I think they'd rather live in it than in the house! I'd suggest introducing your critters to it slowly and as a "fun thing." I know nothing about traveling with cats, but would imagine they would be a harder sell than a dog. I'm sure someone with cats will chime in.

You are embarking (ha!) on a great adventure. Best of luck to you and your fur-buddies.

Edited by Plainsman, 22 October 2014 - 10:20 AM.

"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#3 MarksAlot

MarksAlot
  • Casita Club Member
  • 44 posts
  • Local time: 04:00 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Escape 19 Trailer
  • Interests:Camping to help battle stage 4 cancer.
    (and it's working!) :)

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:29 AM

Hi Terri,

As long as you get a tow vehicle that has a factory tow package that can handle 3500 lbs, you'll be fine. Most vehicles on the road setup like that can tow a Casita with ease.

I always go camping with my boyz, 2 male mini Schnauzers. They love camping and going for long rides. Even if I say "wanna go campin?", they know what that means. You'll love camping in a Casita.

#4 Tom Dunn

Tom Dunn
  • Casita Club Member
  • 84 posts
  • Local time: 05:00 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Delux 17

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

Hi Terri. There is a young lady who is full-timing in a Casita and has a blog. Here's the link:

http://www.interstellarorchard.com
Tom & Sue
tsdd@cox.net

#5 Tom Dunn

Tom Dunn
  • Casita Club Member
  • 84 posts
  • Local time: 05:00 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Delux 17

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:05 PM

Also, I personally feel that a vehicle with a tow rating of at least 5000 lbs would be a better choice. I'm pretty sure that the trailer and all cargo in trailer and tow vehicle factor into the weight being towed.
Tom & Sue
tsdd@cox.net