Judy Cox and Bob Greer
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 11:18 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2012 Patriot 13'
  • Interests:fishing canoeing, knitting
  • Trailer Name:Tardis

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:58 PM

I can't remember if I posted an intro this past year, but my life has changed a bit so I'll repost.  My other half, Bob Greer passed away 9/2 after 5 weeks of hospice at home.  We knew when we left Diamond Lake Oregon 7/25 that it was our last Casita camping together. We had the unnamed 2012 13' PD out 5 times from April til then.

Steep learning curves on a few things, like running Casita and TV batteries dead-down while boon docking.

In Oct, I wanted to see if I could hitch up myself.  Hoot hoot!!!  I did and me and the pups took off for the Coast.

TV is a 2001 Highlander.  Home is Portland Or.

Now I have Eileen's CD and the learning curves won't be as steep.  Haven't found anything in it yet to help me get the 17' canoe on the TV-HaHaHa.

Todays  problem is the battery.  I have never checked it! On digging around under the bench I see that it appears that battery is practically PLUMBED in by the WH and it's bypass.  The remaining opening is 10x 5 ½.

I hope to have many more trips ahead.  Hope to get to a campout, too.

Judy Cox

#2 teacher retired

teacher retired
  • Casita Club Member
  • 676 posts
  • Local time: 02:18 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Liberty/17

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:57 PM

Welcome (back) Judy. I am sorry to hear of your Bob's passing. And I am glad you found some solace in using the Casita for some fun.I can't help with the battery issue as I haven't looked at it either. But someone should chime in here with some good advice. You are in a gorgeous part of the country for camping. Again, welcome. Sandy

#3 kbarj

kbarj
  • Casita Club Member
  • 8 posts
  • Local time: 01:18 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17
  • Interests:Travel, camping, backpacking, guitar

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:28 AM

I'm truly sorry for your loss, and I'm impressed by your determination to move on.  Welcome back!

As for the canoe, my neighbors have a sliding roof rack that allows them to load their kayaks more easily.  It slides out sideways from the vehicle.  They then can lean the kayaks up and slide them on from the end (and the SUV's not in their way).  Once it's up, the rack slides back over the vehicle.  They strap it down and are good to go.  They got it because of a degenerative muscle disease that he has. 

It's kind of like the one here, but it is a double rack...

http://www.rackwareh...roof-racks.html

Bill

#4 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local time: 02:18 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:30 AM

hi, judy. sorry for your loss and to offer a battery solution for your consideration. my battery in my 2013 PD was moved to the tongue for me and i am so grateful for that. not only am i not as physically strong as i used to be and don't relish the prospect of the tugging/lugging of a heavy battery, but a friend's battery actually blew up and melted inside their 17 ft casita a while back. not a very common occurrence, but one i would not want to have to deal with inside the trailer while out on my own somewhere. another alternative is to replace the battery with a "no maintenance" one that other folks have in theirs. the location would still be an issue, in my opinion, but not as big a one.
glad you're getting out camping and attending rallies. there are a growing number of us solos, so caravaning might also be an possibility if you like that idea. welcome back to the "casita cult", er i mean, "casita club" and i hope you enjoy many safe and wonderful trips in yours. regards, claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: battery, solar