#1 bigjoey38

bigjoey38
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts
  • Local time: 01:22 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Looking

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:05 PM

Hi All

Just wondering what was your longest trip out. We live in Colorado and when I retire We like to relocate to somewhere warmer until the winter season past ( when I retire in 8 years)

Would a casita be to small or should I get something bigger?

Thanks

Joe

Edited by bigjoey38, 13 October 2014 - 07:19 AM.

#2 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 407 posts
  • Local time: 09:22 PM
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:38 PM

I spent 305 days in an Escape 17B (solo).

• bigjoey38 likes this

#3 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 05:22 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:22 AM

It depends.

There are folks who full-time in a Casita (usually a 16' or 17') and they have no issues with the small space. But, it's not for everyone. You say "I" in your post, so, if you're a Solo traveler, limited space would be less of a problem. For a couple, there would have to be a lot of negotiation with space and stuff.

Eight years is a long way off. You have plenty of time to evaluate brands and sizes, and a lot can change between now and then with the manufacturers.

Eileen

• Gourdamental likes this
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#4 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Local time: 06:22 PM
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:47 AM

I've been out a few times for a month each trip. This spring and summer I was only able to manage two trips of 2-weeks each. This winter we will be heading to Larry Gamble's house-of-magic and then to NM and AZ for, I hope, a couple of months. I say "we" even though I am technically a solo. I travel with two German Shorthairs and a Boston Terrier, and we all get along just fine in the limited space. No issues at all except when one of the biggers wants to lie right in front of the furnace! 

Sometimes I think I would like a bit more room-- maybe enough to walk around rather than over the furnace-hogging dog. But then when underway I look in the side rear-views and see that sleek little bug tagging along behind, the same width as my truck, and decide "No, OTRA is the beans!"

• clairemr1 and bigjoey38 like this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#5 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,423 posts
  • Local time: 08:22 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:27 AM

i researched and attended every RV show in the Dallas/Ft Worth area for years, kept coming back to casita. took the plunge the first of this year, in preparation for retiring in march from a 40 year RN career. took into consideration my "long in the tooth" tow vehicle, my minimalist tendency, the fact i've never towed anything before, and got lucky. found and brought home my "sassie cassie" feb 1 and can't tell you how much fun i've had and plan to have even more in 2015.
so far i've only been out the maximum of 2 weeks, but have squeezed in a trip every single month and 5 rallies this year, as well as camping with casita friends for 10 days on 2 different texas lakes. my plan was to take 2014 to get to know my casita, meet my new casita family, make some really good friends and see the many cool modifications everyone has done, as well as slowly doing the mods and buying the things that make my camping experience better for me.
plans for 2015 are to take more extensive trips caravaning with several solos i've met who also enjoy travelling together and are comfortable with every camping situation, including boondocking.
i highly recommend the casita, but whether it's too small for you, no one can say, that's strictly up to you. try to attend a rally or two, see all the layouts, that may help you make your decision. believe us all when we tell you, casita holds it's value. if you decide on something else, you'll have absolutely no trouble selling yours. best of luck and keep planning for that retirement. you'll make it! claire
  • bigjoey38 likes this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#6 bigjoey38

bigjoey38
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:20 AM

It depends.

There are folks who full-time in a Casita (usually a 16' or 17') and they have no issues with the small space. But, it's not for everyone. You say "I" in your post, so, if you're a Solo traveler, limited space would be less of a problem. For a couple, there would have to be a lot of negotiation with space and stuff.

Eight years is a long way off. You have plenty of time to evaluate brands and sizes, and a lot can change between now and then with the manufacturers.

Eileen

Thanks Eileen

I changed it to "We".... My bad

• bigjoey38 likes this

#7 bigjoey38

bigjoey38
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:23 AM

i researched and attended every RV show in the Dallas/Ft Worth area for years, kept coming back to casita. took the plunge the first of this year, in preparation for retiring in march from a 40 year RN career. took into consideration my "long in the tooth" tow vehicle, my minimalist tendency, the fact i've never towed anything before, and got lucky. found and brought home my "sassie cassie" feb 1 and can't tell you how much fun i've had and plan to have even more in 2015.
so far i've only been out the maximum of 2 weeks, but have squeezed in a trip every single month and 5 rallies this year, as well as camping with casita friends for 10 days on 2 different texas lakes. my plan was to take 2014 to get to know my casita, meet my new casita family, make some really good friends and see the many cool modifications everyone has done, as well as slowly doing the mods and buying the things that make my camping experience better for me.
plans for 2015 are to take more extensive trips caravaning with several solos i've met who also enjoy travelling together and are comfortable with every camping situation, including boondocking.
i highly recommend the casita, but whether it's too small for you, no one can say, that's strictly up to you. try to attend a rally or two, see all the layouts, that may help you make your decision. believe us all when we tell you, casita holds it's value. if you decide on something else, you'll have absolutely no trouble selling yours. best of luck and keep planning for that retirement. you'll make it! claire

Thanks Claire

They have an RV show in Jan in Colorado which we will attend... I have a tear drop camper and its ok as its a 5x8, However I like to get something I can stand in and room for at least 3-4 people.

#8 bigjoey38

bigjoey38
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:24 AM

I have also been looking at the Trailmanor.

#9 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,423 posts
  • Local time: 08:22 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:32 AM

i drove to Ft Worth to see a trailmanor as well. i was really interested in it, til i saw it in person. seemed to be very cheaply made to me and the salesman had a dickens of a time getting it to fold up and back correctly. seems like it had already warped where it connects. turned me off, and once again, i came back to casita.
i'm not sure you'll be happy with casita, however, if you plan to accommodate 4 adults on a regular basis. i think even the 17 ft casita owners will agree that that's a bit of a squeeze. 2 adults is about all i'd want to do, but everyone feels differently. let us know what you decide. claire
  • bigjoey38 likes this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#10 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:42 AM

Try it, you'll like it!  If you buy a Casita now and use it for eight years you'll definitely know if it's the one you want to have when you retire.  In eight years it will still be worth enough for a good down payment on something bigger or a new Casita.  And just think of all the fun you'll have in the interim. :D  "You only live once."

Edited by Wally Z, 13 October 2014 - 08:45 AM.

• clairemr1 likes this

2014 17' Casita SD

#11 bigjoey38

bigjoey38
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:08 AM

Thanks folks for the great info..

Is there a specific unit that has the queen bed?

#12 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:35 AM

Consider that the Trailmanor is completely unusable when you're towing. No toilet access, no kitchen access, no napping access. I frequently stop at Rest Areas, etc., when I'm on the road, and I have all of those available to me. Picture yourself arriving at or departing a campground in the rain and having to set up or take down a Trailmanor. Don't have to do that with a Casita.

Not to mention resale. Casitas hold their value. I know owners who've purchase a resale Casita and sold it a few years later for what they paid for it.

If you need a queen bed, the Liberty model is what you need.

Eileen

07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#13 bigjoey38

bigjoey38
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:39 AM

Consider that the Trailmanor is completely unusable when you're towing. No toilet access, no kitchen access, no napping access. I frequently stop at Rest Areas, etc., when I'm on the road, and I have all of those available to me. Picture yourself arriving at or departing a campground in the rain and having to set up or take down a Trailmanor. Don't have to do that with a Casita.

Not to mention resale. Casitas hold their value. I know owners who've purchase a resale Casita and sold it a few years later for what they paid for it.

If you need a queen bed, the Liberty model is what you need.

Eileen

Very True Eileen.... I will check further into the Liberty Model.    I like to take a trip to the plant.

#14 codasmom

codasmom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 152 posts
  • Local time: 06:22 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Patriot 13'
  • Interests:Dogs and training, Artwork, photography, kayaking, bicycling, hiking, gardening, knitting,etc

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:08 PM

Big Joey, did you notice that there is a 16' Casita for sale in Vale?

#15 bigjoey38

bigjoey38
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:18 PM

Can't remember if I came across that add. I an looking to buy sometime next year and would really like to look at one or two in the Colorado area. Vail is on the other side of the state.

If I decide to buy one I need to sell my tear drop camper.