#1 rangerdog12

rangerdog12
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 09:42 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:spirit deluxe 16

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:45 PM

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience towing a 16 SD with a Subaru Outback?  Tow weight is 3000#s with tongue weight of 200#'s which is lower than the SD tongue weight of 255#'s.

cathy

#2 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts
  • Local time: 04:42 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:16' spirit deluxe

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:11 AM

cathy,

i towed a 13' patriot with a subaru forester for a while.  i had no luck getting the tongue weight under 200# and a hard time figuring out it the car was in charge or the trailer (seemed that sometimes the trailer was sorta pushing the car around).  mine was a 4 cyl subaru and really didn't deal well towing in the  small mountains here in the east nor was the fuel mileage very great.  i bought a truck (nissan frontier with a v6) and then a 16' sd and all is good.

p@

• rangerdog12 and Hojo like this
"peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
kurt vonnegut, the sirens of titan

#3 debbwa

debbwa
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Local time: 03:42 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:'98 SD 16'
  • Trailer Name:Gypsy III

Posted 28 November 2015 - 01:28 PM

Grrrr, I'm having the same trouble with tongue weight with my 16' SD.  Just got it weighed today, and I'm coming in at 2,480 loaded, well under the 2,700 limit on my 2.5L Outback, but I cannot get the tongue weight even close to 200#.  it's even inconsistent when I weigh it, sometimes it's 310# sometimes 275#.  Weighing in the same location in my driveway with the tongue at towing height.

Today I removed the two propane tanks that are mounted in front and put them inside behind the axle, and took the microwave out of the cabinet and put it on the floor in back.  The fresh water tank is full to add weight to the back. The lowest TW I got was 235#. 

The grey and black water tanks are empty.  The only other item of substantial weight that's in the front is the wall mounted AC.  Does anyone have any other ideas before I start looking for a new vehicle?

#4 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 12:42 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 28 November 2015 - 01:53 PM

Grrrr, I'm having the same trouble with tongue weight with my 16' SD.  Just got it weighed today, and I'm coming in at 2,480 loaded, well under the 2,700 limit on my 2.5L Outback, but I cannot get the tongue weight even close to 200#.  it's even inconsistent when I weigh it, sometimes it's 310# sometimes 275#.  Weighing in the same location in my driveway with the tongue at towing height.

Today I removed the two propane tanks that are mounted in front and put them inside behind the axle, and took the microwave out of the cabinet and put it on the floor in back.  The fresh water tank is full to add weight to the back. The lowest TW I got was 235#. 

The grey and black water tanks are empty.  The only other item of substantial weight that's in the front is the wall mounted AC.  Does anyone have any other ideas before I start looking for a new vehicle?

Install rear hitch and spare tire carrier from OMW.  Then add a storage box to that.  You could use the storage box for bottles of water.  :)

Edited by Wally Z, 28 November 2015 - 01:56 PM.

2014 17' Casita SD

#5 debbwa

debbwa
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 02:30 PM

Install rear hitch and spare tire carrier from OMW.  Then add a storage box to that.  You could use the storage box for bottles of water.  :)

Wally, what is OMW?

#6 debbwa

debbwa
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 02:34 PM

FWIW, I compared the front axle (of my TV) weight from when I weighed today with camper hitched and then without camper.  That extra tongue weight is taking 120# of weight off the front axle.  Quantitative proof that towing with a TW over specs can be dangerous.

• NASA42 B and Wally Z like this

#7 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 544 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' now sold :(
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service, and my rescue cat named "Alley" at home...
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 28 November 2015 - 02:55 PM

debbwa.....

OMW......That acronym stands for "Orbital Machine Works", which can be found at http://www.perfectcasita.com/  .

Frank :rolleyes: 

Edited by nasa42a, 28 November 2015 - 02:58 PM.

• Wally Z and debbwa like this

#8 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts
  • Local time: 04:42 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:16' spirit deluxe

Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:38 AM

Does anyone have any other ideas before I start looking for a new vehicle?

i'm thinking a new tow vehicle if you can swing it.  you'll have a much happier towing experience....

p@

• Le Motte likes this
"peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
kurt vonnegut, the sirens of titan

#9 graham

graham
  • Casita Club Member
  • 52 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Liberty
  • Interests:Reading, gardening, yoga, massage, cycling, hiking

Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:18 PM

One major thing to keep in mind is that the tongue weight needs to be at least 10% and as much as 15% of the total weight.  This decreases the chance of the trailer starting to sway which can be catastrophic.    So a trailer weighing 2500 pounds needs at least 250 lbs on the tongue.    So putting a basket on the rear is the last thing you need to do.   A weight distribution hitch (WDH)  can put weight back on the front axle of the TV but only after the correct weight balance is achieved.   There is a lot of good info on this site and the other one on this topic.

Graham

#10 debbwa

debbwa
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:01 PM

One major thing to keep in mind is that the tongue weight needs to be at least 10% and as much as 15% of the total weight.  This decreases the chance of the trailer starting to sway which can be catastrophic.    So a trailer weighing 2500 pounds needs at least 250 lbs on the tongue.    So putting a basket on the rear is the last thing you need to do.   A weight distribution hitch (WDH)  can put weight back on the front axle of the TV but only after the correct weight balance is achieved.   There is a lot of good info on this site and the other one on this topic.

Graham

It seems that you need a class IV hitch in order to use a WD system, and I can't find any for the Outback.  The class III hitch cannot handle the WD system.  I got this info from tech support at trailer.com.

#11 debbwa

debbwa
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:08 PM

Does anyone have any other ideas before I start looking for a new vehicle?

i'm thinking a new tow vehicle if you can swing it.  you'll have a much happier towing experience....

p@

I just almost purchased a Honda Pilot, sat down with the finance guy at the dealership and found out the vehicle I was about to purchase was 2WD (salesman told me it was 4WD - Carfax report said "4D" and I thought that meant 4WD).  So, no new tug for me today.  Finance guy (who used to work in the Honda Store) also told me that the 4WD can't handle 300# TW even though the user's manual says up to 450#...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SD, Subaru