26 replies to this topic

#16 Cents

Cents
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts
  • Local time: 02:07 AM
  • Interests:Camping, Golf, Travel

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:26 AM

That helps a lot. I would consider a Freedom Deluxe, remove the chair nearest the bath and replace it with custom storage that matches the rest of the woodwork. I live within striking distance of the factory so I can go there anytime it is open. I want to make the right choice(since this will be my last trailer)for me. I love camping alone. I can read, hike, kayak, and play golf at my leisure.

#17 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:45 AM

That helps a lot. I would consider a Freedom Deluxe, remove the chair nearest the bath and replace it with custom storage that matches the rest of the woodwork. I live within striking distance of the factory so I can go there anytime it is open. I want to make the right choice(since this will be my last trailer)for me. I love camping alone. I can read, hike, kayak, and play golf at my leisure.

there is a lot of difference between the 13ft PD and the 16 or 17ft FD as far as storage.. if you're not sure which length you want, you might want to attend a rally as well as the factory  and see the different ones. i'm enchanted with my 13ft PD and find it's perfect for full timing, easy to tow, set up, but if you think you might want more room, the other trailers offer that. good luck with your decision......................

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#18 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Local time: 01:07 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:14 AM

UP FRONT ACKNOWLEDGEMENT - there will be divergent opinions to this post - that is OK. I look forward to reading them.

Declaring that the 'Egg Motel' is my second 17' SD Casita you can realize that I have a bias. But, I certainly note that the 13' is used by many with smiles on their faces. Some use it for solo camping others for full timing with many in between those two points.

There are some messages in this thread that suggest you consider the 16' models. Not to dissuade anyone from choosing this model let me offer a consideration - the potential for sway (sway is baaad).

First a look at the factory numbers regarding the DRY weights of the 16' verses the 17'.

Basic Specifications.jpg

The typical US recommendation for safe (minimum tendency to sway) tongue weight is 10% of the gross weight of the trailer while in Europe, that figure is 15%. Both models of both length Casitas, when dry, meet the US tongue weight recommendations of 10% while they all fall short of the European recommendation of 15%.

My concern begins when you begin to use the trailers in the 'real world'. I doubt that any of us have 'dry weight' trailers - even fresh from the factory they probably all have at least one option installed. So then user options and loading has to be considered when safe towing is a goal.

Take a look at the two photos below and yes I know that the 16' is 'flopped", this was done to make visual comparison easier. Pay particular attention to the position of the axles in relation to the center point of the trailer.

280 16' relative axle position see why they can sway.JPG

270 17' relative axle position.JPG

With the more centered axle position of the 16' greater care must be taken to maintain a safe tongue weight. I would recommend that nothing be added on the rear bumper of a 16' model.

The 17' has a different set of considerations. With the bulk of the trailer in front of the axle care must be taken to position the load not to overload the tow vehicle with excess tongue weight. Personal admission time - at one point the tongue weight of my trailer reached 615 pounds and thus exceeded the limit of my hitch requiring me to use a WDH. I subsequently placed my egg on a strict diet and now the tongue weight is about 445 pounds.

Considering the above observations - if a 16' is your eventual choice, go for it! Just be cautious in maintaining a safe tongue weight.

Don

Edited by Don, 05 June 2016 - 09:16 AM.

• NASA42 B and Cents like this
Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#19 Cents

Cents
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:23 AM

Casita will be my fifth travel trailer. I have had numerous stick and tins.I am a veryexperienced I want something way more durable this time around. Fg is the way to go. I go Camping/Traveling to be in the Great Outdoors, but I want comfort at night and the early morning. The Patriot has some drawbacks that I may not enjoy. Could I overlook somethings, maybe? The 17 deluxe appears to be the front runner.  

#20 Cents

Cents
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:35 AM

Sorry, I made an entry error in my last post. I am not new to towing , hitching , backing up or camping. I am very handy and have a knack for trouble shooting issues. It appears to me that the Spirit model will be the easiest to modify for my needs. I want some storage, especially if I go full time.

#21 goodegg

goodegg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 12:07 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Looking
  • Interests:Hiking, Biking, golf, kayaking and working.

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:53 PM

Wondering if anyone that has "upgraded" from a 13' Patriot misses anything about the smaller lighter trailer after the switch?

As a solo camper and traveler does the light weight, size and convenience of the 13' make it a good long term investment when most of the trips will be two or thee days and only an occasional long trip or is one better off going for the only slightly larger 17" with significantly more flexibility and convenience right from the start?

For longer trips the cost between towing the 17' with 2003 Dodge Ram Van at 12 MPG vs towing with a smaller tow vehicle could be significant.

Can the Patriot be moved by hand on flat surfaces or fit into smaller spots being less conspicuous?

For those that might have more than one Casitas or a Castias and a motorhome would having a 13" Patriot be an advantage and would it get pulled out for shorter weekend camping trips or visits with family?

#22 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:32 PM

Wondering if anyone that has "upgraded" from a 13' Patriot misses anything about the smaller lighter trailer after the switch?

As a solo camper and traveler does the light weight, size and convenience of the 13' make it a good long term investment when most of the trips will be two or thee days and only an occasional long trip or is one better off going for the only slightly larger 17" with significantly more flexibility and convenience right from the start?

For longer trips the cost between towing the 17' with 2003 Dodge Ram Van at 12 MPG vs towing with a smaller tow vehicle could be significant.

Can the Patriot be moved by hand on flat surfaces or fit into smaller spots being less conspicuous?

For those that might have more than one Casitas or a Castias and a motorhome would having a 13" Patriot be an advantage and would it get pulled out for shorter weekend camping trips or visits with family?

interesting question! i've been full timing in my 2013 13 ft patriot deluxe for nearly 2 yrs and have no plans to buy a larger casita. i've added all the "comforts" i need, a 13 inch hdtv television, furnace, honda 2000 generator, maxxaire side window vent, fantastic fan cover. i've also permanently removed the bathroom door and added a lovely decorative curtain in front of the shower curtain and have replaced the dining table/2 metal legs with plywood for when it's in full bed mode and a personal table from walmart for when i want to seat 4 comfortably. the 13 ft PD is the same as the 16 ft SD except the PD doesn't have the small side table/single bed so it has a split galley, double burners/sink on that side. i don't feel i've given up anything in the way of comfort and enjoy the ease of towing, ease of set up, slightly easier gas mileage, lighter overall weight. for me, as a solo, it works great and i love the simplicity of this trailer.

having said that, i bet i'd enjoy ANY of the casitas, all models, all lengths. they are all great in their own way.................

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#23 goodegg

goodegg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Looking
  • Interests:Hiking, Biking, golf, kayaking and working.

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience. It does sound like the 13' Patriot with a couple of minor tweaks is the perfect trailer for you. I have been looking at the Patriots for a long time and think in many ways they are the quintessential small trailer. But you need to break the bed down every day to have a place to work and eat and they are tiny on the inside for any long period of time. I have been in a few over the years and wonder about the lack of any way to really move around when the weather or other reasons keep you inside. Not a ton of yoga happening in a Patriot.

The 16' has many of the benefits of the 13' with the advantage of a small hallway and the ability to have a permanent bed and work/eat space as a couple of posters here have mentioned. The 16' has the raise floor so you can't use standard desk chairs because you can't push them in and out of the way when not in use. If I go up to a larger Casitas from the Patriot I would probably need to go to the 17' for the added flexibility of a long desk/counter/table along the street side in a Freedom with comfortable desk chair for work and movies, etc. that works with the large flat area on the street side.

But then you hare hauling a large trailer with an office, dining room, etc. around every time you want to paddle a different lake or drop in on friends or family for the weekend.

They are all excellent designs just tough to figure out which is best for any given situation. Fortunately they are not $235,000 like a motor home so the wrong decision would not be the end of the world.

• clairemr1 likes this

#24 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:27 AM

my personal preference, if i ever do decide to go to a larger trailer, is currently a 17 ft Liberty Deluxe. i'm fond of the split galley in my patriot deluxe and the Liberty has that. i also like having a larger choice of bed configuration, twins/double/king. the table might not work, though, if using it daily for an office set up. in that case, i'd probably prefer a 17 ft Spirit Deluxe to have that larger side table/seating for 2/single bed. i think the model/length you pick depends on how you plan to use your trailer. i want the little one for ease of towing, travelling. i don't stay long inside but tend to sightsee in museums during inclement weather and eat almost exclusively outside. i also don't need a home office at this time so don't need to set up at a permanent table.

since the largest trailer is only 17 ft, i don't think you'd experience much trouble towing any of them. i'd recommend attending a large rally or two and get inside all the lengths/models in order to make a more informed decision. good luck on your choice, they are all great trailers and easily sold if you decide you want a different one in the future..................

Edited by clairemr1, 18 July 2016 - 09:38 AM.

• NASA42 B likes this

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#25 Brad

Brad
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13' Patiot Deluxe
  • Interests:Traveling, tennis, songwriting and fishing

Posted 30 October 2016 - 10:01 PM

I am off to buy a Patriot Deluxe in a few days and after reading about headroom, lack of a dinette area and especially the bed, I am getting a bit worried it may be too small for me. Both my wife and I are 6 feet tall and the question is "can I sleep stretched out? Or not?" Since I am driving 500 miles to buy the Patriot, I should (I realize) get this part straight in my head before I am too committed. Thoughts. Appreciate it.

#26 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,261 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:25 AM

Brad,

The height in a 13 footer is just fine if you like walking around like Quasimodo. I'm 6'2", and the lack of adequate headroom for those of us who aren't "vertically challenged" in both the 13's and 16's was a "deal breaker" for me. Personally, and it's entirely your call, but IMO, I think you'd be much happier in a 17 footer. I can stand up fully in my 17 SD without having to bend over. Also, the 17 SD allows me to have the side dinette for a table area with seating for two, and a full-time full size mattress across the rear dinette area. I can stretch out fully on it. YMMV

Edited by Euphoria, 31 October 2016 - 06:29 AM.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#27 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:29 AM

brad,  i really think you'd be better off to attend some rallies, see a casita in your area, call casita and they'll be happy to provide you a person near you willing to show theirs to you and definitely pour over the brochure that casita will be happy to send you. there are so many variables and some basic differences in the models, such as lay out, curved door vs straight door, screen door vs no screen door,refrigerator size, freezer vs no freezer, tank capacity, etc, that driving 500 miles without knowing much about the trailer, it's pros and cons, seems like a lot of wasted miles/time to me, just to find out it's not what will work for you.

i spent much time doing all of the above before deciding on my 2013 Patriot Deluxe. at the time, i was limited on my tow vehicle, which i think you said you are too. my old truck could only tow the 13 or 16 ft casitas, which are basically the same except the 13 ft doesn't have the side table, which i never cared about. my bed easily goes to seating for 4 in less than 2 minutes, and i rarely have anyone else in there. i do my socializing outside, but CAN seat 4 in there in the event of inclement weather.

having now full timed in it since feb 1, 2014, and slowly doing the mods that work for me, i can tell you it's perfect for me and my little 14 lb schnoodle. a dream to tow, light weight, easy to set up/get ready for towing, etc. i also am 5ft 4 inches tall. the 13 and 16 also have a step up to the bed/table, which would decrease your head room even more since both you and your wife are over 6ft tall.

bottom line, i'd recommend a lot more research on the various casitas before purchasing one. the odds are much better that you'll be a lot happier with your choice. good luck with whatever you chose...............................

Edited by clairemr1, 31 October 2016 - 08:44 AM.

• Euphoria and NASA42 B like this

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host